No announcement yet.

Big bucks and skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the OP needs to change that to "Free Range 180" buck" After all, the trout are wild and not in an aquarium. That way all this talk about "buying" a buck will stop. Im sure that wasn't his intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
      Not sure about skill, but it takes patience and dedication to kill mature bucks in Collin county. And a hell of a lot of days in the field when the wind is right. All that has to be combined with some luck.
      The way I see it is patience and dedication fall in to the skill category.

Comment

It's possible

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
        Free range 173” 7.5 year old buck in NW Oklahoma licking the spinner on my corn feeder. I hunted the buck for two years and was within 25 yards of him five times, before I was able to close the deal. I killed him 13 days after that picture was taken at the feeder.

I have had ten or so 165" 7+ year old bucks in shooting range (inside 30 yrds) with a bow, they will come to a spincast feeder, but in high pressure areas don't get big by doing it often. Many times was to dark to see my pin to shoot, the wind was blowing 30 mph (30 ft. in the air) and couldn't keep my bow still, or hit a limb I couldn't see. Certainly not taking away from a great buck that took a lot of time, skill, and patience to kill, but a scope gives you an extra 7-10 minutes of shooting light, crossbow doesn't require drawing/holding (When other deer are watching you and holding at full draw for sometimes minutes while waiting on him to take one more step), and are faster/more accurate than a bow, which many times is the difference between a mature deer in the truck or tag soup for years on end.

Comment

Sooner or later your luck will run out. Better have a little skill kick in.

Comment

I enjoy hanging with the guys I want with more than shooting a big buck. Shooting a deer is just extra

Comment

Pfl...…….

Comment

Working...
              X