Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin girls firsts, CLOSE call with the curve, and a question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twin girls firsts, CLOSE call with the curve, and a question!

Took my 12 year olds out for the first time where they were actually shooting along with a friend and his daughter (his lease). We managed to get all three kids their first deer and they all made great shots! It was one I the most incredible experiences I have ever been a part of!

The last morning I dropped my buddy and his daughter off and went to corn some roads and look for a javi to stalk with my recurve. After a blown stalk at 20 yards my buddy texted to say they had a doe down but not to rush so I tried another stalk. The javi got spooked and postured up when I got to about 30 yards then eased into the brush. I was deciding what to do when two does walked out about 75 yards away. I tucked up into the brush and decided to see what happened. The lead doe fed down the road eventually providing me with a 6-8 yard shot opportunity quartering away. As I eased the bow back the arrow made a noise on the strike plate and she bolted. She NEVER looked my way or snorted. I think she would have come back but I needed to go pick up my buddy. Still quite a rush and I couldn't believe I got her into that range. No camo, no scent free bath, no scent washed clothes, just me on the ground with my bow...it was AWESOME!

That brings me to my question, what is a good, quiet shelf material? I am currently using the bear strike plate and shelf rug and I think the strike plate was more of the problem than the rug. I was looking at the beaver fur 2x2 square from 3 Rivers. I was looking for some seal skin but I guess it is harder to come by now.

Here are some pics of the kids in case you missed the thread on ATC

Forgot the pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385772086.688211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	24268278

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385772113.749285.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24268279

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385772139.207434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	24268280

Comment

First of all, big congrats to you and the young uns' ! Love those smiles. As to your question about shelf material I use the fuzzy side of heavy duty velcro. It is easy to cut to shape, it's durable and you can buy it just about anywhere.

Comment

Congrats to those kids!

I'll second the vote for Velcro! That is what I have on every bow I own!

Bisch

Comment

What was said ^^^^ or I always used mole skin.

Comment

Big congrats to the kiddos!!! Another vote for Velcro.

Comment

Congratulations! Those are awesome deer. I am taking my twin 13 yr old girls out tomorrow. Hoping we get their first deer as well. Great advice on the Velcro guys.

Comment

Happy for thier firsts!

Comment

I like calfhair rests..... They are quite and durable!

Comment

Look into mole skin Brian. What I use. Once again, congrats to the girls!

Comment

Thanks guys, it was awesome sitting with each daughter for their first deer!

I have Velcro on my other bow but it seems to make a similar sound when drawn. I know the reason I got busted was the distance I was from the deer combined with how still it was. I was just curious about some alternatives. Thanks for all the ideas, I will start playing around with it.

Comment

One other thing you might check is your arrows, I accidentally found that sometimes especially in the mornings when there is dew and very high humidity some arrow finishes will drag and make almost a squeaking sound on almost any rest material. And I also use Velcro.

Comment

Congrats to the hunters. I use moleskin as well

Comment

I guess it's maybe the finish on my wood shafts but my bow has Velcro and it makes zero sound...

Comment

I would probably not hear it if mine was making noise but i don't seem to have a problem with animals spooking when I draw my bow!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X