Arrow Tuning: Cut Short/Adding Rear Wieght

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Tuning: Cut Short/Adding Rear Wieght

I added about 80 grains to the front of my arrows. I'm a bit underspined. I am thinking about adding some weight to the back end of my arrows to compensate.

I added 80 grains to the front. Does anyone have a good starting number for me to add to the back?

Or does anyone have any idea about how much I would have to cut off the front to stiffen the arrow enough?

The reason I am thinking about adding weight to the back is that I don't want to have to shorten my arrows by very much.

Depends on the shaft and just how weak it is. Carbons tend to stiffen quickly when you shorten them, so, you only start with very small cuts like 1/4" or 1/2" (unless you are way weak).

I have no idea on the rear weight thing as I have never messed with that.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Depends on the shaft and just how weak it is. Carbons tend to stiffen quickly when you shorten them, so, you only start with very small cuts like 1/4" or 1/2" (unless you are way weak).

I have no idea on the rear weight thing as I have never messed with that.

Bisch
      3555 Gold Tip. They bare shaft weak but fletched they do ok if I do my part but with a half bad release and they fly ugly.

Comment

If they bare shaft weak, then the fletching is just covering that up on your good shots and not on your bad releases. You need to keep working on them till they tune correctly. Then your bad releases won't show as much.

Not much can be done about your REALLY bad releases!

Bisch

Comment

Well between the wind, wet fletches and some of my releases it sure showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
            3555 Gold Tip. They bare shaft weak but fletched they do ok if I do my part but with a half bad release and they fly ugly.
            I had some 175 grain points on some 30" 3555 gold tips I added 20 grains to stiffen the arrow up worked like a charm out of my 57#@27" BW PLIII longbow, everyone I talked to did not like that arrow out of my bow. But because the riser is not cut to center it likes a flimsy arrow. But it was too weak so the added weight stiffened it up. I added 20 more to the front and 20 more to the back to increase the overall weight by 40 grains. My arrows fly so good out of that bow it was like I was shooting a new bow. They fly really flat so I was over shooting targets I only go about 2 weeks of practice prior to Vanderpool. But if you have the tuneable nocks I say go for it I did and I like the results.

Comment

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
              I had some 175 grain points on some 30" 3555 gold tips I added 20 grains to stiffen the arrow up worked like a charm out of my 57#@27" BW PLIII longbow, everyone I talked to did not like that arrow out of my bow. But because the riser is not cut to center it likes a flimsy arrow. But it was too weak so the added weight stiffened it up. I added 20 more to the front and 20 more to the back to increase the overall weight by 40 grains. My arrows fly so good out of that bow it was like I was shooting a new bow. They fly really flat so I was over shooting targets I only go about 2 weeks of practice prior to Vanderpool. But if you have the tuneable nocks I say go for it I did and I like the results.
              So if I am understanding you it takes a lot less weight on the back to stiffen up what a lot of weight on the front weakens.

Comment

Hey Bisch,

Figured you'd read this after our text and pm's. I had just a few minutes last night to look at those nock adapters. I will probably cut my arrows shorter to stiffen them. I figured out that with the nock adapters I cannot use Nocturnal Nocks and I am stuck with using only Gold Tip nocks because with other brands the end that goes into the arrow is too long.

I have to get these things shooting. I will probably go to Co elk hunting with my compound but come deer season I want to hunt with my trad equipment and I need to get all doubts out of my head to get confidence in my equipment back.
                Last edited by M.E.B.; 04-15-2014, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                  So if I am understanding you it takes a lot less weight on the back to stiffen up what a lot of weight on the front weakens.
                  that was my experience I tried the 50 grain and it made it too stiff. the 20 was just right. but also if u add an equal amount to both the front and the back it wont change the spine it will just add weight

Comment

You can also increase or decrease your brace height. I found that a low brace height made my arrows appear to be too stiff and a high brace hieght made them appear to be too light in spine. Ended up with 8.25" being perfect.

Then again, I just bought my first carbon shafts last week so I might not know what Im talking about

Comment

Working...
                    X