AR .243 cal. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR .243 cal. ?

I see lots of AR in .223, .22-250 and .308. I'm wondering if anyone has a .243 and what's your experience with them. I have a.243 rifle and would like to keep same caliber plus it's a great caliber for me personally.
    Thanks for any input

It would have to be an AR-10. The .243 is a .308 based case and won't fit in a AR-15. Personally, I would have it in a different cal if I was building a 10, but I don't see why it wouldn't work similar to a .308. I honestly don't think I've seen one. I've also never seen a .358, but I plan to build one

Comment

I want to say Remington makes an R25 in 243 but I could be wrong.

Comment

Remington does make a r25 in 243. It along with other calibers are starting to come out. I saw a 25-06 at Cabelas last week in the AR platform.

Comment

DPMS sells one also. If it wasn't so hard to find ammo for it would be a cool gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecoboost View Post
            DPMS sells one also. If it wasn't so hard to find ammo for it would be a cool gun.
            DPMS makes the Rem R-25
            I have one, good shooting rifle, but heavy.
            I love a 243, I own 4 of them

Comment

Originally posted by Ecoboost View Post
              No joke! Why such a shortage in 243?

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                DPMS makes the Rem R-25
                I have one, good shooting rifle, but heavy.
                I love a 243, I own 4 of them
                Any thing you can add to your comment on the pro/con?
                Accuracy, action cycling, reload or store bought ammo,etc.
                Thanks

I've got a Rem 700 youth 243 I absolutely love but sometimes i need a couple quick follow up shots on groups of pigs and it's harder with bolt action and trying to stay on target as they run off.

Comment

Ive also wanted one of these in the AR10 platform. i think it would be a sweet little hog thumper. if I had to choose though, I'd go .308.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                    Any thing you can add to your comment on the pro/con?
                    Accuracy, action cycling, reload or store bought ammo,etc.
                    Thanks

I've got a Rem 700 youth 243 I absolutely love but sometimes i need a couple quick follow up shots on groups of pigs and it's harder with bolt action and trying to stay on target as they run off.
                    I have the r-25 in 243 and shoot Federal 85 grain sierra's, it has a 5x20 scope on it an it will shoot right at .660 groups. Cycles great, low recoil, so a follow up shot won't be a problem, but the rifle is fairly heavy.
                    I shot a doe at 485 yards with a bit of cross wind and missed my aiming spot by less than 2 inches. Its a shooter
                    Some people might prefer the 308 cal but I'm a 6mm fan and have killed stuff over 800 yds with one. Oh yeah I have a couple thousand rounds of 243 on hand so that helps too
                    Last edited by az2tx; 03-24-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                      I have the r-25 in 243 and shoot Federal 85 grain sierra's, it has a 5x20 scope on it an it will shoot right at .660 groups. Cycles great, low recoil, so a follow up shot won't be a problem, but the rifle is fairly heavy.
                      I shot a doe at 485 yards with a bit of cross wind and missed my aiming spot by less than 2 inches. Its a shooter
                      Some people might prefer the 308 cal but I'm a 6mm fan and have killed stuff over 800 yds with one. Oh yeah I have a couple thousand rounds of 243 on hand so that helps too
                      Thanks for info. That's what I was hoping for. The heavy part I'd just deal with. Got on 30+ pigs from 3 groups ins 10min span and trying cycle a round and get quick shots just was happening fast enough for me. Haha

Comment

I've got two .243's and love the caliber. I would like to hear more info on them also.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                          Thanks for info. That's what I was hoping for. The heavy part I'd just deal with. Got on 30+ pigs from 3 groups ins 10min span and trying cycle a round and get quick shots just was happening fast enough for me. Haha
                          Let it be known as soon as you are prepared for that scenario to happen again it won't. You'll be walking around with 3 30 Round mags, armed to teeth and see nada.

Comment

LMT makes one as well. Great guns!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                              Let it be known as soon as you are prepared for that scenario to happen again it won't. You'll be walking around with 3 30 Round mags, armed to teeth and see nada.
                              ain't that the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X