The Fallacy of Managing the Doe:Buck Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
    Welcome to the fire Wes! I'm glad you found this thread and that your dad is thrilled to see it too. My family has owned our ranch on 186 not far from y'all since 84 and I have followed the research on your ranch since I was in college. I met you a few years ago at CircleV when you were there with Wack. I had dinner at Wack's house in July and was super excited to see the ranch. I think I wore him out with all my questions. When your dad gets the book finished, I want an autographed copy The work he has done and continues to do with TAMUK is legendary and I salute your family for the dedication to wildlife that has continued for decades.

I'll definitely pass on the kind words to the man responsible. Small world! Wack taught me everything I know about hunting and he's been by my side on every hunt since was 7 (25 now). He's about as good of a guy as they come although I'm heavily biased. Hopefully he showed you around a little bit when you were over for dinner! It's pretty crazy these days with Chesapeake digging crooked holes everywhere but it looks like the deer haven't minded as of yet luckily.

Whereas Wack taught me how to hunt, my Dad has shown me how to "not hunt" but rather approach all aspects of the ranch and its future from the standpoint of always siding with the greater good of the research/program goals and not with my trigger finger. The latter being the tougher lesson to learn as I'm sure you've experienced.

On top of all the research, data, articles, etc., in my opinion the reason he's been as successful as he has over the years is because at the end of the day, he gets more excitement from the data and knowledge obtained from research than he would from harvesting a monster deer.

I'll get in touch with Wack maybe we can get something worked out the next time I'm down where we can all get together if you've got the time.

Comment

Great thread guys! Thanks for the info and keep it up...

Comment

Encinal....Thanks for the clarification. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find any documents or publications further discussing Dan Friedkin’s “density sweet spot”? Thanks.

Comment

Wes, lots of things have changed to deer hunting since your Dad killed that big buck in 1990 but IMO that is still one of the best bucks ever killed. I really enjoy looking at the pics on the ranch website. You guys need to do some updates!

Comment

Great thread, glad I caught it!

Comment

Working...
            X