Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Hunt Pigs in the PINEY WOODS??

Hey all,

Looking for information about hunting the Piney Woods area for pigs in a few months. I've never even seen it as I am new here, but I have heard a bit about it. SOUnds like its pretty dense and foreboding. Don't know if that's something i want to tackle all by my lonesome.

My other choices are Sam Houston, Granger and Davy Crockett. I have also been told to look into Corps of Engineer lands, but I have been given the run around each time I try and get any info at all about that. What do you expect I guess, government at it's finest.

So if you have hunted the Piney Woods, can you tell me if there are a lot of pigs and pig signs in that place? How would it be for a first time hog hunter to try? Since it's so big, could you please provide at least a jumping off point where I can start my hunt to have the best chance of at least seeing some hogs?

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

Originally posted by NalaJr View Post
    Hey all,

Looking for information about hunting the Piney Woods area for pigs in a few months. I've never even seen it as I am new here, but I have heard a bit about it. SOUnds like its pretty dense and foreboding. Don't know if that's something i want to tackle all by my lonesome.

My other choices are Sam Houston, Granger and Davy Crockett. I have also been told to look into Corps of Engineer lands, but I have been given the run around each time I try and get any info at all about that. What do you expect I guess, government at it's finest.

So if you have hunted the Piney Woods, can you tell me if there are a lot of pigs and pig signs in that place? How would it be for a first time hog hunter to try? Since it's so big, could you please provide at least a jumping off point where I can start my hunt to have the best chance of at least seeing some hogs?

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr
    Lots of pigs, lots of sign but very hard to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
      Lots of pigs, lots of sign but very hard to hunt.
      Seen lots of sign, never seen a hog. Kinda odd.
      Guessing they mostly come out late at night.

Comment

They are everywhere and easy to find

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
          Seen lots of sign, never seen a hog. Kinda odd.
          Guessing they mostly come out late at night.
          Your right they mostly come out at night but thats why you go in and find em!

Comment

I've seen 2 pigs during the day at Sam Houston in six years, killed them both. Pigs that travel during the daytime(only legal time to hunt them) on public land die fast

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
              They are everywhere and easy to find
              x2

Comment

Have a place near the piney woods. Lots of pigs. In two years, we have gotten only a small handful of pics in the daytime. Out of about 4000 pics, I bet only 10 were in daytime. So yeah, hard to hunt. Unless you sleep during the day and sit in the stand all night. Which we have done with success.

Comment

We have found them during the day in white oak area but we had kayaks and were miles in the woods,they like secluded islands,wait an hour before dark post up near any creek banks where there is signs of hog,most of the time you get nice shots along them banks out of the thickets.Good luck to ya.

Comment

Thanks all.

It doesn't sound like a place for the novice to try and learn about pig hunting. I wouldn't have a clue where to even start if i were to try and hunt the piney Woods.

Can you all give me some pointers as to areas that would be better for someone like me to try first?

Thanks

Nalajr

Comment

You've got to get out and pound the pavement.

Comment

Working...
                      X