Quebec Black Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quebec Black Bear

dI'm not really sure where to start because this was such an eventful and memorable trip. So I'll just get to it.

Keep, Maglite, EddieHoward, Russ, HollisF, BryonF, and BryonF's dad arrived at Bear Camp early last Sunday morning. We setted in and got unpacked and prepared for the week. Everyone went to town expect me and Maglite. We went out with the guides to refresh the baits.

Monday rolled around and we were fired up. 4 of us went with one guide and 4 with the other. Me, Hollis, Byron, and Russ were with Remi. He dropped us off between 4-5pm. They have a ritual of banging on the bait bucket to let the bears know its dinner time and to cover your noise.

I got in the stand and setted myself. Remi returned the thumbs up that I gave him and drove away on the 4 wheeler. I clipped my camera on the back of my stand as the four wheeler sound faded and turned around to see a bear moving in to the bait!

I was shocked that it happened so quick. It was a smaller bear and he came and went several times. Suddenly I look and see another bear slipping in from behind the bait. They move with ZERO noise! It was a better bear that I estimated around 120-150. Both bears ate and ate and ate. I drew once on the bigger bear but couldn't get a good shot. They moved off after what seemed like forever and then another small bear took their place. This was a solid 2 hours of bear activity!!!

About 20 minutes later the bigger bear (I think it was the same one) came back in from behind the bait, 15 yards from my stand. He fed for a while and walked toward me to the trail and turned. I came to full draw and just as I did he was facing me again. I held for what seemed like forever and finally he turned broadside. It was so close (12 yards) I had to lean up to shoot over the brush in front. I released the arrow and immediately knew it was low. The bear ran about 10 feet, looked back, and trotted off. A check of the arrow and a weak blood trail that petered out showed that I just nicked him. Review of the tape showed I hit a spruce bough in front of me.

Tuesday found me in the same stand. This time we positioned the bucket a little better and farther back. About an hour into the sit, I heard a branch snap. Then another and another and then a tree getting pushed over. What ever this was wanted to annouce his entrance. He made a semi circle loop around the bait making as much noise as possible...the opposite of the day before. I guess he wanted to scare off whatever had given him a scare (and cut on the leg and brisket) the day before.

He finally appeared and snuck up on the bait and was very spooky, never presenting a shot. He got even with the bucket, grabbed a clump of cake and moved a few yards behind the bait...quartering away hard.

I finally came to full draw and he looked staight up into the stand. I held for a few seconds until he looked away and setted the pin on the last rib. I remember the arrow hitting the exact spot I was looking! Redemption!

He ran about 15 yards, rolled and cried 2 dead crys before going silent. Once back at camp we noticed the shot from the previous night went in and out the brisket area and cut the back of the far right arm.

It's not Pope and Young like Maglite's, but probably around 150 and 5 feet nose to tail. I'm very pround and look forward to the next hunt!

Bear Camp
    [IMG][/IMG]

LDP
    [IMG][/IMG]

LDP2
    [IMG][/IMG]

Magnus Stinger Buzzcut Damage - First Night
    [IMG][/IMG]

Magnus Stinger Buzzcut Damage - Second Night
    [IMG][/IMG]

Around the Campfire
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ShockValue; 06-01-2009, 10:10 PM.

That is cool. One of these days, I am going to go Bear hunting.

Congrats on the bear

Comment

something to be proud of. congrats

Comment

Congrats on the bear. Great write up.

Comment

GREAT TIMES ALAN!!!!! Cant wait for next year!!!!

Comment

Congrats on the bear Alan. I need to buy you a beer at Uncle Bucks as soon as I get back on my feet.

Comment

Where did you guys go? What outfitter? Great pics and congrats on the bear. Was there fishing where you were at?

Comment

Congrats! Sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Comment

Congratulations Alan! Sounds like a great time!

Comment

Good job! Congrats on your hunt.

Comment

Sounds like a good time congrats on the bear.

Comment

Congratulations on the bear.

Comment

congrats on the bear

Comment

sweet pics

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X