Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 AM   #101
tkuehn5410
Pope & Young
 
tkuehn5410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Crosby, Dickens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
No heís leaving it to Carlos.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Epic!!!!
tkuehn5410 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 AM   #102
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Carlos. Carlos Danger!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #103
westtexducks
Pope & Young
 
westtexducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
thats what u think



it always ends up in a family feud bc one wants to sell or doesnt approve of others use etc..


Thats why you leave it to 1. To hell with fair if your trying to build a multi generation legacy. Seen thousands of acres of land squandered by relatives because of this very thing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #104
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young
 
Johnny Dangerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now
Default

A finger print thread. Everyone has a different opinion or hope.
Being in our mid 60's the wife and I have done the paper work and everything is set in stone. Well no not really things change.
My father lived in a fancy assisted living center for 10 years and still left money in the bank when he died. Never asked me for a dime. I never asked him for a dime. Will do my best to follow in his foot steps with a little coke and ho's thrown in.....
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #105
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorthunder View Post
A finger print thread. Everyone has a different opinion or hope.
Being in our mid 60's the wife and I have done the paper work and everything is set in stone. Well no not really things change.
My father lived in a fancy assisted living center for 10 years and still left money in the bank when he died. Never asked me for a dime. I never asked him for a dime. Will do my best to follow in his foot steps with a little coke and ho's thrown in.....


Lol
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #106
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Most folks I know that got any sizeable inheritance are pretty chitty people. I just hope I leave with kids not owing anything on my passing (funeral, etc).
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #107
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Most folks I know that got any sizeable inheritance are pretty chitty people. I just hope I leave with kids not owing anything on my passing (funeral, etc).


There are plenty of folks you know who have inherited money that are great people. You just don't have a clue that they inherited money. They don't brag about it or bring it up.

There are just as many folks that are horrible people that never inherit a dime. Inheriting money doesn't change someone's personality. If they were a DB before they got money then they will be one afterwards and vice versa.

My job allows me to see every side of this issue. I will continue to do everything I can to instill a strong work ethic and good character in my boys. That is the best thing I can leave them and if I had to choose between that and leaving them set financially I would choose to leave them as hard working, good men. Fortunately, I don't have to choose. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. I can teach them to be men of strong character that aren't afraid of work AND I can leave them money. I want more for my boys and even more again for my future grandchildren than I had.

I don't believe that my parents or my in-laws will leave my wife and I a dime. They just don't have a lot. They live relatively comfortable lives but most of what they have accumulated will be used up on medical expenses as they age. That is fine. I don't NEED their money. I work hard and have been blessed to make some good decisions in life.

But with my boys it will be different. I plan to spend money enjoying life and making memories with them and my wife. I won't hold back from doing something just to make their inheritance bigger. But they will have better opportunities for success in life than I have had. It takes money to make money. Part of my legacy to my boys will be showing them how to do that and starting them off in the right direction long before (I hope) I pass. If my boys have to work late into their lives then I didn't do my job or they didn't listen.

There are some folks on here spouting foolishness about trying to die broke and basically burning up cash because "I made it! It's mine!!!" Enjoy your life. But potentially burdening your children because you are hell bent on not leaving them anything (and spending every last cent) is nothing but pure selfishness and flat out STUPID.

At the end of the day, I love my boys more than I love myself. I won't deprive myself from enjoying life but that doesn't have to be exclusive of leaving them something to build on.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #108
cowman
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
There are plenty of folks you know who have inherited money that are great people. You just don't have a clue that they inherited money. They don't brag about it or bring it up.

There are just as many folks that are horrible people that never inherit a dime. Inheriting money doesn't change someone's personality. If they were a DB before they got money then they will be one afterwards and vice versa.

My job allows me to see every side of this issue. I will continue to do everything I can to instill a strong work ethic and good character in my boys. That is the best thing I can leave them and if I had to choose between that and leaving them set financially I would choose to leave them as hard working, good men. Fortunately, I don't have to choose. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. I can teach them to be men of strong character that aren't afraid of work AND I can leave them money. I want more for my boys and even more again for my future grandchildren than I had.

I don't believe that my parents or my in-laws will leave my wife and I a dime. They just don't have a lot. They live relatively comfortable lives but most of what they have accumulated will be used up on medical expenses as they age. That is fine. I don't NEED their money. I work hard and have been blessed to make some good decisions in life.

But with my boys it will be different. I plan to spend money enjoying life and making memories with them and my wife. I won't hold back from doing something just to make their inheritance bigger. But they will have better opportunities for success in life than I have had. It takes money to make money. Part of my legacy to my boys will be showing them how to do that and starting them off in the right direction long before (I hope) I pass. If my boys have to work late into their lives then I didn't do my job or they didn't listen.

There are some folks on here spouting foolishness about trying to die broke and basically burning up cash because "I made it! It's mine!!!" Enjoy your life. But potentially burdening your children because you are hell bent on not leaving them anything (and spending every last cent) is nothing but pure selfishness and flat out STUPID.

At the end of the day, I love my boys more than I love myself. I won't deprive myself from enjoying life but that doesn't have to be exclusive of leaving them something to build on.
Well said and I agree 100%. Never understood the spend every last dime because I worked hard and it's mine mantra but to each their own.

My father passed away with nothing really to his name and my mother will most likely be the same. I've given my mom around 10k for various things and will need to buy her a newer car this year so it's somewhat reversed. No doubt that has created some animosity from me but I love her dearly and miss my father.

This situation makes me want even more to leave my daughter with something significant not just memories or items like guns, etc. Paying for a great education and her not having to take the first job offered is important to me. Maybe she wants to take a year off after undergraduate and travel and see and experience things I never had the chance to do because I needed to start paying back school loans.

My wife and I both worked in the corporate world for 20 years before having our daughter so maybe my perspective is a little different. We ended up doing lots of fun things and attaining a little wealth along the way. Now having a child has made me realize I want much more for her and feel giving her a head start will let me die a happy man,
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #109
Tbar
Ten Point
 
Tbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
........At the end of the day, I love my boys more than I love myself. I won't deprive myself from enjoying life but that doesn't have to be exclusive of leaving them something to build on.
Every wealthy American family dynasty started with that one person and was built on by future generations. Educate your sire about growing wealth.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #110
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young
 
Bill in San Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX
Default

It goes both ways.

If you let them know youíre planning to spend all your money, donít be surprised if youíre old and need assisted living and healthcare they feel the same and say theyíll visit you when they can in whatever public facility youíll wind up in when youíre broke and canít live on your own.

Tough decisions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill in San Jose is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #111
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post

But potentially burdening your children because you are hell bent on not leaving them anything
I was agreeing with you until I saw this. I don't think anyone is "burdened" by not receiving an inheritance. That statement really sounds like a lot of entitlement talk. We shouldn't be basing our success or failure on what we we have been given.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #112
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I was agreeing with you until I saw this. I don't think anyone is "burdened" by not receiving an inheritance. That statement really sounds like a lot of entitlement talk. We shouldn't be basing our success or failure on what we we have been given.


Burdening them with paying your medical expenses late in life.

Read it in context.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #113
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Going to be hard to spend that last dollar when you’re laid up in a hospital/nursing home/assisted living and you don’t even know your children’s names. By then, you’ll have a POA Anyway im sure so you really won’t hve much of a say in your finances anymore because you will be incompetent by this time.

Then if you did decide to spend it all and your kids don’t make a strong living, that Medicare and social security won’t get you much. You’ll be living your last days in a **** hole. You’ll actually be a pain in the *** because you can’t feed yourself, walk on your own, or whipe your own ***, let alone remember where you’re at.

So you better save some of it, cause you’re kids are going to need it to take care of your old raggedy *** one day.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #114
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
Every wealthy American family dynasty started with that one person and was built on by future generations. Educate your sire about growing wealth.
I agree with this, but for every one of these family dynasties that was built on and expanded, there are probably two where it was ****** away within a generation or two.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #115
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

The vast majority of Americans would do well to help their kids through college/trade shool and save enough to support themselves in old age.
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #116
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
The vast majority of Americans would do well to help their kids through college/trade shool and save enough to support themselves in old age.


True but most won't do that. Most on this thread won't have enough to support themselves in old age. That is evident by the comments.

But it doesn't mean that everyone HAS to live their life that way. To each their own.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #117
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
True but most won't do that. Most on this thread won't have enough to support themselves in old age. That is evident by the comments.

But it doesn't mean that everyone HAS to live their life that way. To each their own.
You seem to think that people who don't think a big inheritance to their kids is a necessity in life are also dumb and broke when they get old...

You are proving some of these guys points on their posts.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #118
Man
Pope & Young
 
Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Casper,Tx
Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx
Default

I know someone who inherited 2 million after high school from the parents. Didn't take long to blow it and had no desire to ever work hard once the money started dwindling. Wouldn't be supervised if said person is taking government checks now.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #119
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
You seem to think that people who don't think a big inheritance to their kids is a necessity in life are also dumb and broke when they get old...



You are proving some of these guys points on their posts.


Thanks for telling me what I think.

The reality is that the majority of people with the mindset of "I'm gonna spend it all and the last check I write is gonna bounce!" are, in most cases, going to end up being a burden on their children. I don't have a problem with someone like Warren Buffet saying that he won't leave his fortune to his children. That is 100% his call to give his money to someone else. But he will never be a financial burden on his children. If you plan on dying broke then you will most likely be broke before you die. Who is responsible for taking care of you then? Your kids or the government are pretty much the only options to take care of you in that scenario. At that point.......who is the "chitty" person?
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #120
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

The majority of what my wife and I have will go to which ever of us survives longer than the other. If I die first, I donít want my wife to ever need or want for anything after Iím gone. I certainly donít want her to have to deal with any debt.

People who are givers will want to leave a legacy for their survivors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #121
JHT
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Whatever you choose to do I think you owe it to your kids to tell them what your exact plan is before its too late. Just so you can see how they react and what effect it will have on them. It will have consequences.

I went to college with 3 brothers and a sister. Known them since 1988. We have been great friends since. One of them lives down the street from me. Basically family watching our kids grow up together.

When they were very young their Dad ran off on their mother. Up and left Houston, moved to Kansas City with the new gal. The oldest brother never got over it since he had to take over Dad's role. The four of them became very tight and always looked after each other. Their Mom was a teacher at the time so they had a rough transition for a few years. They all turned out ok and eventually allowed their Dad back in their lives to some extent. The oldest not so much but they eventually said their peace.

Dad gets terminal cancer. Has 6 months to live. One by one they went to say their goodbyes. Oldest called a few times but never went to see him. He passes.

The 4 of them went to the funeral. A day or so later the attorney went over the will with the four of them. The wife got the house but there was a substantial amount of money that was there for the 4 of them.

Dad decided to split the cash up by three, leaving the oldest nothing. Zero.

All hell broke loose. These guys are like to fight guys. They calm down and leave. Over the next few weeks the three ($$) of them tried to come up with trying to fix this/make it right. Sister wont budge giving in anything. This goes back and forth. Spouses got involved. I got to hear all of it.

This last Christmas was the first time in 4 years they were able to get together as a family. Still at each others throats. No fun for anyone and I doubt it will ever get better.

The oldest came over for a beer afterwards. He said it was never really about the money (he does fine) it was about Dad breaking it off in his rear one last time and his siblings not getting his back and the effect it has taken on their mother. She has had to live through Dad destroying the family again.

He said if his Dad just would have told him his plan he would have been just fine with it and saved the $$ he wasted flying up there for his funeral.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #122
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
True but most won't do that. Most on this thread won't have enough to support themselves in old age. That is evident by the comments.

But it doesn't mean that everyone HAS to live their life that way. To each their own.
I think you may be misinterpreting some comments. Nobody with any sense wants to burden their children. Their comments are a euphamism for enjoying their hard earned money instead of miserly hoarding it for the benefit of their heirs.
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #123
bowhuntertx
Ten Point
 
bowhuntertx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: T'morton
Default Inheritance

Iím more worried about not having to work into my 60ís. Iím 37 now, but like many TBHírs, I would love to have some land of my own. Iím diligent about retirement, college accounts, kids car accounts. I have a few rentals that Iíve thought selling a few times to buy land, but that isnít the plan. Once I retire, I plan to enjoy it. I wonít go out in a blaze, but would love it if my kids have something that is left over. Hopefully, some assets Iíve collected over the years. I would love for them to be in a position to be ahead of the game instead of working their life away.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhuntertx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #124
Bumpy
Ten Point
 
Bumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Years ago my dad signed over his land he bought to my sister and I. Itís in our name and he still pays the taxes on it. I thought it was really cool but he also sent my sister and I to college debt free so I was already grateful. My dad isnít perfect but I give credit where credit is due!
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #125
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
I think you may be misinterpreting some comments. Nobody with any sense wants to burden their children. Their comments are a euphamism for enjoying their hard earned money instead of miserly hoarding it for the benefit of their heirs.


I think some mean it like you are interpreting it. And nobody is going to say they want to burden their children out loud. But I work in an industry where I deal with people and their money every single day. I can't tell you how many people say "it's my money and I want the last check I write to bounce." I point out that there is no way to know when that last day will be or what expenses will come up between now and then. You'd be shocked at how many people have the attitude that they don't care if they end up being a burden on their kids. "I took care of them when they were growing up and they can take care of me if my money runs out," is a common comment.

Self-centered or ignorant. It's one of those two things if you are in the "die broke" crowd.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #126
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertx View Post
Iím more worried about not having to work into my 60ís. Iím 37 now, but like many TBHírs, I would love to have some land of my own. Iím diligent about retirement, college accounts, kids car accounts. I have a few rentals that Iíve thought selling a few times to buy land, but that isnít the plan. Once I retire, I plan to enjoy it. I wonít go out in a blaze, but would love it if my kids have something that is left over. Hopefully, some assets Iíve collected over the years. I would love for them to be in a position to be ahead of the game instead of working their life away.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's a smart man
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #127
postman
Ten Point
 
postman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Default

By default my children will inherit something, we will continue to manage our money and "pinch pennies" if you will till our dying day as we don't want to bee a burden on the kids. If I go first, I want to have enough that my wife can live comfortably till it's her time. Then the kids/grandkids can fight over anything left.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #128
Razrbk89
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NE Arkansas
Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas
Default

Perhaps the most important thing to leave your children is a sense of decency and a good raising. SO many people raise bad kids these days, a lot of that can be credited to spoiling them with material things as mentioned above.

On a financial note, it seems fairly important to get rid of your assets (or situate them correctly with an advisor) before you get down in health. My wife’s grandmother is in the nursing home and it’s like $7,000 A MONTH!!! Her farm and stuff is safe, but she had a decent amount of cash at the wrong time and it’s getting burned up.

I haven’t seen many examples of people fighting or getting butthurt over inheritance. Honestly most folks where I live probably don’t have much compared to TX standards. Ground is what most people split up here and it’s pretty cut and dried in most all cases.

If you’re fighting with your family over money, you had big issues before the money ever came up. (Bad raising)
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #129
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
Thanks for telling me what I think.

The reality is that the majority of people with the mindset of "I'm gonna spend it all and the last check I write is gonna bounce!" are, in most cases, going to end up being a burden on their children. I don't have a problem with someone like Warren Buffet saying that he won't leave his fortune to his children. That is 100% his call to give his money to someone else. But he will never be a financial burden on his children. If you plan on dying broke then you will most likely be broke before you die. Who is responsible for taking care of you then? Your kids or the government are pretty much the only options to take care of you in that scenario. At that point.......who is the "chitty" person?
Again you are assuming have fun and spending the money they earned means they are a burden or not prepared for care as elderly.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #130
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
I think you may be misinterpreting some comments. Nobody with any sense wants to burden their children. Their comments are a euphamism for enjoying their hard earned money instead of miserly hoarding it for the benefit of their heirs.
Yep seems to be overly thinking it trying to justify his own position.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #131
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Again you are assuming have fun and spending the money they earned means they are a burden or not prepared for care as elderly.


I absolutely am making that assumption and it is based on experience. I see it happen all of the time. I deal with people and their money daily and have for my entire career. I'm not guessing.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #132
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young
 
RdRdrFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Yep seems to be overly thinking it trying to justify his own position.


I have no need to "justify my position" to you or anyone else. It is the same thing that we see in many areas of our culture now. People have continued to become more and more self-centered. This issue is no different.

I have worked hard and have been blessed to enjoy a great life. But everything I do is for my family. Everything. Teaching my boys about being ethical and having a set of morals. Teaching them about working hard. Teaching them about money and how things work financially. Teaching them about hunting, fishing, golf, or whatever they want to know about. Showing them an example of how to love a woman and treat their future wife. Providing financially. All of these things and so much more I do because I care more about my children than I care about myself.

And I do see people exhibiting both sides of this discussion regularly. I can tell you which side the happier people reside on. It's not on the self-centered side.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #133
Tony Pic
Pope & Young
 
Tony Pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYS and Texas
Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper
Default

My Texas property, NY hunting camp, firearms ect will be left to my sons.
My wife can have the rest. That's all the kids want anyway. They will have a place to take their kids. And so on...and so on. That is the legacy I'd like to leave.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #134
Hooverfb
Eight Point
 
Hooverfb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

I hope to leave my children something. I hope i can give them an even better life than myself, kust like my parents did for me. That's the awesome thing about this country, is we have that freedom. Hopefully by thst time ive taught my kid not to be an idiot lol.

I just got back from China and met a guy whose parents were farmers, and wanted him to work in the technology field. He is now, but because the people in that "band" of society expect certain financial things, he probably won't be able to marry, and if he does it is not likely that he has the chance to do better/help his children any more or less. We kind of take that freedom for granted here, its much easier than some places.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #135
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
Teaching my boys about being ethical and having a set of morals. Teaching them about working hard. Teaching them about money and how things work financially. Teaching them about hunting, fishing, golf, or whatever they want to know about. Showing them an example of how to love a woman and treat their future wife. Providing financially. .
You do all that and the financial part of leaving them anything is a mute point.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #136
myway
Ten Point
 
myway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: Kent county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
You do all that and the financial part of leaving them anything is a mute point.
But it sure helps in the ability to take risk. I am not certain what you two are debating? It sounds like both of your goals are to teach your kids to be financially responsible which sounds like great parenting.
Or yíall could just measure Weins.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #137
BigValley
Four Point
 
BigValley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Dallas
Hunt In: Freestone County, Kimble County
Default

Proverbs 13:22 says a good man leaves an inheritance to his childrens children (I listen to Dave Ramsey a little too much). It's funny, I want my parents to spend every dime they have enjoying the money they earned, but on the same token, I want to leave as big of an inheritance as possible for my future children. My father is the same way, so I know they won't spend all of their money. Have you ever given someone a gift and been really excited about it? Same thing with an inheritance. If your family is blessed enough to leave you an inheritance and they taught you how to handle money, they know that you will use the money wisely to enrich your life and that would make them happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
BigValley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com