Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default Grendel vs 6.8 out of a 16-18 barrel

For a 300 yd max deer/pig gun does one have a real advantage over the other? It seems like most of what Ive read is they are kind of neck and neck out of those barrel lengths. Which is your preference? Id like to build one for a lightweight setup and shoot 115-130 gr bullets.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

I like the Grendel with 120gr NBT. Great medicine.

Mine is a suppressed 18" shooting about 2450.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Good to hear. It’s hard to find any real world info on the guns out of comparable barrel lengths that isn’t influenced by the fan boys of the different calibers. I’m looking for real world experience/info from shooting animals with them like the info you posted.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
SC-Texas
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

The 6.8 offers better terminal ballistics inside of 300 yards.

This is from a converstaion i had with Dr. G K Roberts a few years ago.

That said, I am partial to the 6.8spc. Projectile choices may have expanded for the 6.5 grendel. I know they have for the 6.8.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
The 6.8 offers better terminal ballistics inside of 300 yards.

This is from a converstaion i had with Dr. G K Roberts a few years ago.

That said, I am partial to the 6.8spc. Projectile choices may have expanded for the 6.5 grendel. I know they have for the 6.8.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


I hear people say that but the 95 grain TTSX for the 6.8 from SSA was rated at 2800fps. My Alexander Arms 18 Grendel ran a 100 grain TTSX at 2808.

I dont think it gets any closer than that.

Then if you get the Grendel you do have the option of stretching it out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Colton
Pope & Young
 
Colton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country, South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I hear people say that but the 95 grain TTSX for the 6.8 from SSA was rated at 2800fps. My Alexander Arms 18 Grendel ran a 100 grain TTSX at 2808.

I dont think it gets any closer than that.

Then if you get the Grendel you do have the option of stretching it out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In a 16 barrel?
Colton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
switchbackxt
Eight Point
 
switchbackxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Caney, Tx
Default

My vote is for the Grendel
switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
bustacap
Eight Point
 
bustacap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cibolo
Hunt In: Mason, Mexico
Default

I have experience hunting with both. Now I own 2 Grendels.
bustacap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustacap View Post
I have experience hunting with both. Now I own 2 Grendels.
What barrel length, loads are yall using?
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
In a 16 barrel?


I dont know what barrel length the SSA 6.8 Ammo is tested in but my Grendel loads were from an 18 barrel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Colton
Pope & Young
 
Colton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country, South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I dont know what barrel length the SSA 6.8 Ammo is tested in but my Grendel loads were from an 18 barrel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Right on
Colton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
SC-Texas
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

My guess is that it was out of a 12.5 inch barrel since it was military testing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
SC-Texas
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I hear people say that but the 95 grain TTSX for the 6.8 from SSA was rated at 2800fps. My Alexander Arms 18 Grendel ran a 100 grain TTSX at 2808.

I dont think it gets any closer than that.

Then if you get the Grendel you do have the option of stretching it out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As as stretching it out I think the grendel holds an edge. It certainly has better long-range oriented projectiles that are available

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #14
bustacap
Eight Point
 
bustacap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cibolo
Hunt In: Mason, Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
What barrel length, loads are yall using?
I run Grendels in a 16 and a 22 barrel and roll my own with 123amaxs
bustacap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
mzurovec
Eight Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet
Default

I thought this was a pretty good article comparing the two. I own a Grendel, but unless you're shooting a looooonnngg way they're a very similar cartridge. They're about the same as a practical hunting round, but it's a lot of fun shooting 800+ yards with my Grendel. That's where it really beats the 6.8.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-v...t-perspective/
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #16
DaveC
Pope & Young
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crosby,Tx
Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
I thought this was a pretty good article comparing the two. I own a Grendel, but unless you're shooting a looooonnngg way they're a very similar cartridge. They're about the same as a practical hunting round, but it's a lot of fun shooting 800+ yards with my Grendel. That's where it really beats the 6.8.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-v...t-perspective/
Great article, thanks for posting.
I like that he states both excel with reloads in the spec II chamber, but compares factory ammo since they both pick up ~200 fps from loading up to that spec. I also like the dead animals don't read brass headstamps comment

I wonder how they compare with pistol length speeds ?

Is there an advantage when comparing both in a 12.5" barrel one to the other? (which I do own in the 6.8, but haven't chronied yet).

If I wasn't 3 rifles in on the 6.8 I'd consider switching over due to all the 6.5 hype, but so far the animals I've shot this year have been just as dead with my 6.8's as they would have been if hit by an atomic bomb. Dead is dead so I'll spend my efforts elsewhere.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #17
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

It really boils down to this.

If you reload.......go Grendel. Yes I know Academy carries it (when available) and Midway can get it to you in 24-48 hrs.

If you do not Remingtons backing of the 6.8 makes it the choice.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point
 
Double-O-Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Default

I've read that the 6.8 SPC was designed to shoot from a 16.0 inch long barrel. After the round was developed, it was found that it also shot well from shorter length barrels - but no one really knows why. As I recall, longer length barrels didn't seem to offer any significant improvements. Thus, the round appears to be optimized for the 16.0 inch long barrel. By the way, I have a 16.0 inch long barrel on my 6.8 SPC-II PSA AR.

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #19
Balcones_Walker
Six Point
 
Balcones_Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
It really boils down to this.

If you reload.......go Grendel. Yes I know Academy carries it (when available) and Midway can get it to you in 24-48 hrs.

If you do not Remingtons backing of the 6.8 makes it the choice.
This is an interesting point. Hanging out on this forum you'd think Grendel was almost as popular as another 6.5 cartridge. Midway lists 24 6.8 SPC factory ammo choices, but only 9 for Grendel, well into "reloader's cartridge" range.

I'd still go with Grendel, and in a long barrel, especially if you're actually trying to get out to 300 yds with it...
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #20
sierracharlie338
Ten Point
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
This is an interesting point. Hanging out on this forum you'd think Grendel was almost as popular as another 6.5 cartridge.
How dare you compare the Grendel to that wannabe 260!!!
sierracharlie338 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #21
Balcones_Walker
Six Point
 
Balcones_Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
How dare you compare the Grendel to that wannabe 260!!!
Exactly
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #22
Dark Halo
Nubbin' Buck
 
Dark Halo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Kirbyville
Hunt In: Kirbyville
Default

I have both and love both. I have my 6.8 SPC in a 16in and use it out to 200 and prefer to use it on my tripods and stalk hunts. My 6.5G is a 20in and it is one heck of a tack driver, I will use it when box stand hunting or sitting on the ground. I have not killed with the 6.5 yet but plan on changing that tomorrow. The 6.8 with 120sst has dropped everything in its tracks. Both barrels are ARP both shoot sub moa to 200 yards, but the 6.5 holds tighter at 300 plus.
Dark Halo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #23
sierracharlie338
Ten Point
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Halo View Post
I have both and love both. I have my 6.8 SPC in a 16in and use it out to 200 and prefer to use it on my tripods and stalk hunts. My 6.5G is a 20in and it is one heck of a tack driver, I will use it when box stand hunting or sitting on the ground. I have not killed with the 6.5 yet but plan on changing that tomorrow. The 6.8 with 120sst has dropped everything in its tracks. Both barrels are ARP both shoot sub moa to 200 yards, but the 6.5 holds tighter at 300 plus.
Bolt guns or gas?
sierracharlie338 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
I thought this was a pretty good article comparing the two. I own a Grendel, but unless you're shooting a looooonnngg way they're a very similar cartridge. They're about the same as a practical hunting round, but it's a lot of fun shooting 800+ yards with my Grendel. That's where it really beats the 6.8.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-v...t-perspective/
Thats a really great article thanks for posting! Seems like its just a matter of personal preference between the two.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #25
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
This is an interesting point. Hanging out on this forum you'd think Grendel was almost as popular as another 6.5 cartridge. Midway lists 24 6.8 SPC factory ammo choices, but only 9 for Grendel, well into "reloader's cartridge" range.



I'd still go with Grendel, and in a long barrel, especially if you're actually trying to get out to 300 yds with it...


Grendel will work in shorter barrels. Lglidewell on here has a thread of where he shot a big old porker with a 12.5 Grendel at close to 400 yards if I remember.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com