Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #51
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Tryton. Look at Mustang. Pressure activated. Has to be under water to pop. I pull a couple people off the bottom of the lake every year that were "good swimmers".
Glen,
Thanks for this information. I do a lot of wade fishing and I used to have one of those fishing vests with the inflatable bladder that I wore, but It finally got old...
Looking at the automatic ones, I didn't want to get one that would auto-inflate when it just got wet so I bought one that you pull the little hang tab to inflate. I'm going to get me one of the pressure activated ones to wear when running...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #52
dk_ace
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Lamar

I won’t go without one anymore. I don’t own a boat, but I do own a life jacket. I became more aware of the need for one when we started duck hunting in a boat. The more I thought about it in that context, the more convinced I became that I needed to be wearing one anyway when I’m in a boat for any reason.

D
dk_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #53
Cold 1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ok. / Tx.

I have had this rule for the last few years in my boat. I had all the guys that bowfish with me regularly buy their own inflatable for when running . The ones that didn't want to don't get to go anymore.

I have had only one inflate automatic when it was dropped in the water.
Cold 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #54
Tommyh
Pope & Young

never even occurred to me that it would inflate if it got rained on. since i have been looking at kayaks, this is a perfect thread. thank you
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #55
crawdaddct
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unknown

I'm with you. Have lost two family members to boating accidents. Both at different times. One fell out of the boat, hit his head and drown. Leaving his young son in the boat alone. The other crashed his boat into a tree. Him, his brother, and a buddy swam toward shore. He did not make it, even though he grew up on the water. Witnessed a major accident with a group of teenagers out joy riding. Hit a submerged barge. Kids were banged up. Had to rescue one girl who flew out of the boat into the ship channel. It all happens too fast.
crawdaddct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #56
Jon-Paul
Administrator

Anytime the big motor cranks on my boat I have my PFD and kill switch on me. Fishing a lot of tournaments this was a rule and since I made it an everyday practice.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #57
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Life jackets and kill switches save lives.
Life preservers I've always done.
But the kill switch..I learned the hard way.

Great advice.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #58
ShawnG
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Your boat, your rules.
Agreed.
ShawnG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #59
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Wow! Got chills from this story. Amazing about the medical hands of God available at that moment. Who even knew there were conventions for reconstructive surgeons, and what would the odds be that such a pool of rare experts would be available at the precise moment in time and place your wife needed them. If this was a movie plot it would be considered absurd as totally contrived and unbelievable! Powerful testimony of facts!

As far as lifejackets, good swimmers don't swim well if they're unconscious. Really all there is to it.
It pains me to this day to think about it. A third of her upper lip was simply gone. She was cut all the way through the cheeks in five different places, from the front of her lips to the rear, where your wisdom teeth are located. They used skin graphs from inside her mouth to make a new lip and stitched the rest back together. At one time we had a photo from pre op. She was on her back on the table. He upper jaw from behind the k9s were flipped up over her nose sitting between her eyes.

We had put a towel on her face when we got her in the boat. She kept it there. She tried to talk and couldn't. I had no idea how extremely injured she really was. So on the way to the hospital I said let me see what we got here. I have seen many injured people in my career. I know enough about blood that when I saw the blood she was in really serious danger. A human brain realizes the brain is the most important part. When the head bleeds a lot an immediate coagulation begins. We call it head blood. It is near solid, very very thick and looks like a chunk of beef liver. Thats what I saw hanging from her mouth and I knew I had to get there.

So far as the surgeon being there. A long time ago I gave myself over to a higher authority. I don't know what God is and I don't have all the answers. I can say this, I have a understanding there is something and I trust it.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #60
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I wish the auto inflatable PDF's were coast guard approved for kids! They are in many other country's around the world and you can get them here in kids sizes but so far the coast guard does not recognize them. However I have been told that most game wardens wont issue a ticket if that is what a kid is wearing. Been thinking about getting one for my son and risking the ticket.
ColinR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #61
Joel
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Tryton. Look at Mustang. Pressure activated. Has to be under water to pop. I pull a couple people off the bottom of the lake every year that were "good swimmers".

Mustang are worth the extra money for peace of mind. I hardly take mine off even when fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #62
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
I'm with you. Have lost two family members to boating accidents. Both at different times. One fell out of the boat, hit his head and drown. Leaving his young son in the boat alone. The other crashed his boat into a tree. Him, his brother, and a buddy swam toward shore. He did not make it, even though he grew up on the water. Witnessed a major accident with a group of teenagers out joy riding. Hit a submerged barge. Kids were banged up. Had to rescue one girl who flew out of the boat into the ship channel. It all happens too fast.
I am sorry to hear about your losses, but **** glad you're sharing the information.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #63
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
I wish the auto inflatable PDF's were coast guard approved for kids! They are in many other country's around the world and you can get them here in kids sizes but so far the coast guard does not recognize them. However I have been told that most game wardens wont issue a ticket if that is what a kid is wearing. Been thinking about getting one for my son and risking the ticket.

YOu could use them on the kids and have extras that are approved on the boat with you all. That would make it legal.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #64
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
I don't wear mine I'm a great swimmer
I am going to make the assumption you are just joking and forgot the emoji's... If not, you're dumber than your avatar pic makes you look...
Old 01-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #65
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
never even occurred to me that it would inflate if it got rained on. since i have been looking at kayaks, this is a perfect thread. thank you
Mine have been rained on without inflating.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #66
riverbowman
Eight Point

Good to learn of the pressure triggered versions. My kids set off both of ours just splashing water on each other. It was funny until I realized I had to buy two new cartridges.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #67
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Great thread. I make my boys wear jackets religiously while in the boat, but I'm an idiot and don't. I need to change that!
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #68
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

When big motor is on so is the life jacket. 100% of the time if the water is too cold to swim. Been that way for me for 20+ years.
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #69
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal1809 View Post
YOu could use them on the kids and have extras that are approved on the boat with you all. That would make it legal.
If it's a kid under 13, they gotta be wearin' it...
Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #70
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Anytime I am doing more than an idle I have it on. I prefer the full vest type as I would like to think it offers a little more protection from impact if thrown from the boat. I do have an auto inflate in the boat to wear when fishing alone and the water is below about 65
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #71
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
If it's a kid under 13, they gotta be wearin' it...
Oh!
Old 01-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #72
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Over the years I have been present for 4 major incidents that could have easily ended in death. Some of these did end up with major injuries as in multiple surgeries and weeks in the hospital for some. I have been on a boat where one occupant was knock out and off the boat, under water unconscious. During the hurricane evacuations I went by Academy and bought a zipper bag full of life vests. The manager was there and we started a conversation. When I told him where we were headed he handed me self inflating life vest and said try it out and I'll make it 50% off. I wore it through the duration of the evacuations. I pretty much forgot I had it on.

I just feel like there is no reason to push the envelope. They have made safety so much more comfortable I just decided to draw the line. The new rule is if your feet are on my boat, you're wearing a life jacket, end of story.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #73
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

From my research, don't rely on an auto-inflate, wear a regular PFD.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #74
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I am going to make the assumption you are just joking and forgot the emoji's... If not, you're dumber than your avatar pic makes you look...
Salt lick I'm sorry you don't like my Avatar. And I am a fabulous swimmer.
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #75
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Something to chew on for all of us... I’m a pretty careful guy and this one made me think. It’s so easy to get in trouble in moving & or cold water.

https://www.facebook.com/tommy.covin...5688290539451/

Also, no matter how tough you think you are, you can’t swim if you’re knocked out!!

Another personal story to add to the thread, no matter how strong of a swimmer you might be, you CANNOT get off of obstructions if you’re pinned in fast water!!!! People drown up here in north Arkansas every year because they DO NOT RESPECT moving water!
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #76
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
Fishing tournaments for so long it just becomes habit, like automatically putting my seatbelt on in the truck

This!! THat said I might switch to an inflatable one this year.
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #77
HYDRO_69
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I have a work policy that states we have to wear them while "in or around water." The new hydrostatic self inflatable vest are much better than the old wafer style that were prone to go off for numerous reasons. One thing I will mention is you need to inspect and test them for leaks. Don't forget the co2 and trigger system have an expiration date on them. We have in water training that we have to go through every five years. It never fails every class we have one of them does not self inflate. I have went back to a regular vest. The time I spend on bridges and floodwaters I just want the extra protection. That being said I liked the inflatables on lakes, but hated the maintenance and regular testing they required.
HYDRO_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #78
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Fishing tournaments I never did. If I can ever replace my boat I'll have to do a better job.

Sierracharlie out...
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 AM   #79
BmacBmac1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sheridan Texas, SW Ohio
Default New rule in my boat

Good on you!

If anyone ever goes through the process of one of your best friends drowning, YOU and ALL that step foot in your or anyone’s boat will wear any life jacket available.

Never forget ya Kevin Duncan (aka TBH’r - Woody)

Last edited by BmacBmac1; 01-11-2018 at 12:54 AM.
BmacBmac1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #80
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Over the years I have been present for 4 major incidents that could have easily ended in death. Some of these did end up with major injuries as in multiple surgeries and weeks in the hospital for some. I have been on a boat where one occupant was knock out and off the boat, under water unconscious. During the hurricane evacuations I went by Academy and bought a zipper bag full of life vests. The manager was there and we started a conversation. When I told him where we were headed he handed me self inflating life vest and said try it out and I'll make it 50% off. I wore it through the duration of the evacuations. I pretty much forgot I had it on.

I just feel like there is no reason to push the envelope. They have made safety so much more comfortable I just decided to draw the line. The new rule is if your feet are on my boat, you're wearing a life jacket, end of story.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #81
DrBob
Four Point

So another piece of advice here:
Make sure it fits well and is tight.
A very close family friend.....one of those that is like an uncle but not really blood.....lost his life when his life jacket popped off.
He was a strong swimmer. Border patrol. On a fishing trip in the Rio Grande when the boat lost power and got sucked up near a weir dam overflow. As he fell in his arms went up.......he went down and the jacket kept floating.
So make sure you and your loved ones are wearing a PFD that fits correctly.
DrBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 03:25 AM   #82
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Great advice all around! For those that wear the inflatable type, I would recommend periodicly checking that the bladder does not have holes in it and will in fact hold air. Most if not all of the inflatables have a "straw" with a one way valve that can be used for oral inflation to test the bladder. It is also the back up in case the canister and/or activation mechanism fails on the personal flotation device (PFD).

As for kill switches, wear them aways. From my experiance, there appear to be two main types. One is built almost like a switch, when the lanyard is pulled a switch type lever gets flipped. The lever can easily be flipped back with or without the lanyard back in place. Being able to restart the boat is critical as someone besides the boat operation may need to restart the boat. The second type/style is almost like a push switch. Once the lanyard is pulled the switch will need to be pressed down and held down or the boat will not restart. For this type kill switch, I would recommend a back up lanyard be kept near the kill switch in case the operator is in the water and someone else needs to operate the boat. I personally prefer the lever-switch style as it requires minimal motor skills to reactivat in case of exposure to colder water/elements or an accident where fine motor skills could be marginalized.

Additionally, if there are people that frequently ride along with you make sure they know the basics of operating the boat (for example the kill switch) in case you are the one in the water needing to be helped.

Last edited by Pedernal; 01-11-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 AM   #83
Coacheddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas & 1 outside TX

I bought the inflatable last year. To be honest, the “comfort factor” was why I didn’t wear one al the time before. $100 at Academy...and it’s like wearing a shirt.
Coacheddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #84
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Great thread.
Yes, I used to keep a floatation device strapped behind the seat of my kayak because I "had to"......... have since purchased an inflatable, and like coacheddy said...... it's like wearing a shirt. Wouldn't consider getting on the water without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #85
ace340cs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Use to in Mexico, South Texas

Your Rules
ace340cs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #86
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anderson & Coleman Counties

Picked up an auto inflatable from cabelas Black Friday sale. Need to wear one more often. Cheap life insurance!

SKLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #87
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I issue all my guys- Mustang Survival HIT vests. Only issue I have is that after a couple weeks straight in 100 degree weather it irritates the back of my neck. Anyone have a unit they use that doesn't touch the back of the neck
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #88
BowPro73
Eight Point

...... and whoever is running the boat NEEDS to have the kill switch lanyard on their wrist!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
BowPro73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #89
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Kill switch on wrist is not best idea. It can tangle in controls and wheel. Best place is carabeaner on belt loop or on low on pfd. But wrist is better than nothing at all. And carry an extra kill switch key- they get brittle and break when it gets cold. And holding your thumb on top of one for a Honda for 45 minutes in sub 35 degree weather is not enjoyable
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #90
Leemo
Ten Point

You guys are making me feel bad
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #91
oldtestamentman
Six Point

Hunt In: South

When I guide I make my clients wear the Coast Guard approved Orange big ones even in the heat both going out and back on Baffin. They are the ones that will keep your head out of water and float tilting back.

I don't trust the inflatable ones. Safety first on my boat - especially at high speeds, once we hit the flats we take them off.
oldtestamentman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #92
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Quote:
I don't wear mine I'm a great swimmer
Do you climb treestands without a harness as well?
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #93
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
Do you climb treestands without a harness as well?
OH no scared of heights.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #94
easeup
Ten Point

OK guys I am sold.......just ordered an auto inflater. I am one of the retards that never wears one ....ever.
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #95
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
OH no scared of heights.

You are an absolute troll/ moron/juvenile
No, to stupid to troll

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #96
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Well now Uncle saggy why do you say that because I don't wear a life jacket but wear a safety harness.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #97
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

A couple of you guys really are not that friendly on here. B
Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #98
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
A couple of you guys really are not that friendly on here. B
Well sonny boy, you haven't been around here long, and for the time you've been here, you've been pretty abrasive and cocky... Small wonder most folks don't care for you... You have managed to paint a pretty picture in your 85 posts since joining a month ago...
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #99
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

You were the other one lol. Sorry my Avatar bothered you maybe if I took a pic of my tractor that would be better or maybe my grandkids on my mule. You have lashed out at me called me stupid and dumb I've never called you anything.So you and shaggy da can get another cup of coffee and watch CNN.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #100
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Just remember salt licker you're the one that started this so later on when you call Mary she will see this post.