Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
wal1809
Ten Point

Default New rule in my boat

Over the years I have been present for 4 major incidents that could have easily ended in death. Some of these did end up with major injuries as in multiple surgeries and weeks in the hospital for some. I have been on a boat where one occupant was knock out and off the boat, under water unconscious. During the hurricane evacuations I went by Academy and bought a zipper bag full of life vests. The manager was there and we started a conversation. When I told him where we were headed he handed me self inflating life vest and said try it out and I'll make it 50% off. I wore it through the duration of the evacuations. I pretty much forgot I had it on.

I just feel like there is no reason to push the envelope. They have made safety so much more comfortable I just decided to draw the line. The new rule is if your feet are on my boat, you're wearing a life jacket, end of story.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

As I read this, i couldnt help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, you are kinda bad luck to be around......

just jokes..
nothing wrong with minimizing risk on your equipment
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Seems like this would be a reasonable and commonplace rule....but it's not. I have a boat and the only people that wear life vests are kids or if I'm running alone. That's just stupid. One stump or a drunk idiot can ruin everything and that vest can be the difference between living and dying.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

My wife and I wear the self inflating vests.
Half the time I forget I have it on until I get back home.

Last edited by Buff; 01-10-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Snowflake Killa
Eight Point

I don't wear mine I'm a great swimmer
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #6
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Seems like this would be a reasonable and commonplace rule....but it's not. I have a boat and the only people that wear life vests are kids or if I'm running alone. That's just stupid. One stump or a drunk idiot can ruin everything and that vest can be the difference between living and dying.
I agree. I need to be more conscious of putting mine on when running.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
airehead
Pope & Young

Hunt In: No lease

Good for you!!

After having been all over the western pacific on Aircraft carriers and frigates and destroyers having been the chief engineer on the admirals barge and the captain’s gig that has always been the policy even when the admiral came aboard he put on a life jacket he did not always like it.
but after having seen more events than I can remember or care to recall safety is no joke anyone on a boat should wear a life jacket I don’t care how well you can swim how physically fit you are none of that helps if you’re hit in the head knocked unconscious or shot/slashed open by a Rogue cable and land in the water!!!
airehead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
Only if you are alert. Even then there's no telling how far you will have to swim.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
Charles
Pope & Young

Good policy to have.

Be sure to keep "regular" life jackets stowed away. Those inflatables arn't 100% reliable.

Life jackets and kill switches save lives.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
How well do you Swim Unconcious?

Life Jacket is the Cheapest Insurance you will ever BUY.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Fishing tournaments for so long it just becomes habit, like automatically putting my seatbelt on in the truck
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
As I read this, i couldnt help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, you are kinda bad luck to be around......

just jokes..
Maybe so but as I read this, I couldn't help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, its my responsibility to change that bad luck to good.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

My dad always wore a self inflating until this last year he came in off the lake in a rain storm and it went off. He said it scared 5 years off his life. He now wares a self inflating that you have to pull a cord to activate. If you are knocked out of the boat unconscious I don't think this will be much help. Is there a water activated self inflating life vest that won't go off in a rain storm?
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #14
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Your boat, your rules.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal1809 View Post
Maybe so but as I read this, I couldn't help but come to a determination and feeling that maybe , just maybe, its my responsibility to change that bad luck to good.
That is a great way to look at it! Kudos for being proactive and looking out for everyone's safety.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #16
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

It is really not a rule it is common sense.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

hmm, I'm bad about wearing mine. Of course the kids always have them on but I can see a good point here, one stump, you get knocked out, its over real fast. yikes
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #18
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

In 1989, I was thrown from and run over twice by my own boat. To this day, I believe not having a life jacket on saved my life. I also believe this to be the case in .000001 percent of all boating accidents
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #19
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
hmm, I'm bad about wearing mine. Of course the kids always have them on but I can see a good point here, one stump, you get knocked out, its over real fast. yikes
I was the same way for a while, making my kids wear one but I wouldn't. And one day it hit me that if I were to be knocked unconscious in a wreck they could very likely watch me die...

For a few years now my rule has been everybody wears them no matter how hot it is or how much of a pain it can be!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #20
Double L
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

One more note, I read somewhere when I was looking into the inflatables that they are not recommended for non-swimmers.

One other thing I'll mention, in addition to wearing your life jacket while underway, make sure your kill switch works and make sure you are hooked up every time!!!
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #21
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
One more note, I read somewhere when I was looking into the inflatables that they are not recommended for non-swimmers.

One other thing I'll mention, in addition to wearing your life jacket while underway, make sure your kill switch works and make sure you are hooked up every time!!!
Amen to that second paragraph
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #22
KNEE DEEP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county,Texas

I don't wear my life vest like I should but I ALWAYS wear my kill switch while running the motor. Seen some accidents over the years in West Matagorda that could have been avoided if they had the kill switch clipped to them. A boat going in circles with people in the water is something I hope I never see again.
KNEE DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Tryton. Look at Mustang. Pressure activated. Has to be under water to pop. I pull a couple people off the bottom of the lake every year that were "good swimmers".
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #24
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Tryton. Look at Mustang. Pressure activated. Has to be under water to pop. I pull a couple people off the bottom of the lake every year that were "good swimmers".
WE have the red colored Mustangs for the fishing boat and Camo Onyx for the airboat.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Thanks for the tip
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #26
Mike
Ten Point

Good Topic. I have inflatables but I do worry if they will activate. Also, Inflatables are not CG approved on kids under 13 years old, no matter how big they are in stature. Secondly, an inflatable is only counted as a PFD in the boat if it's worn. I know it's a grey area but by the letter of the law, if you're not wearing it, you need to have a traditional life vest in the boat for each person.

Anytime the big motor is running, we have them on unless we are idling from one spot to another across a cove in broad daylight.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #27
Dspivey
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County

I bought my Dad one and he wears it from backing the boat down the ramp until it’s strapped back down on the trailer loaded and headed to the house.
Dspivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #28
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I've seen them deploy about 10 times and never seen one fail. I hear people saying they are not guaranteed to work but I've never seen it and looked for evidence of a failure and can't find one. Founds lots of article about having them in craft and not worn. Anyone ever had one fail?
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #29
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Make sure you buy high quality self inflatables. Mustang is all we have worn through years of saltwater tournaments. We tested some cheap bass pro models that we had as extras. There was a lot of corrosion around the CO2 canister and one of the two did not inflate. Mustang jacket and the kill switch can save your life.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #30
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've seen them deploy about 10 times and never seen one fail. I hear people saying they are not guaranteed to work but I've never seen it and looked for evidence of a failure and can't find one. Founds lots of article about having them in craft and not worn. Anyone ever had one fail?

Same here. Been wearing an automatic inflatable for over 10 years and never had one fail, even the cheaper brands.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #31
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

The inflatables are not failsafe, just remember that. A buddy of mine found a drowning victim with his side imager graph when they first came out. The guy was wearing an inflatable vest. The vest deployed, then deflated.

That said, I wear an inflatable any time I'm getting on plane.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #32
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Just added an auto inflate to my cart on amazon!

My guests will just have to wear the bulky ones I currently have... lol
Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #33
K-Train
Six Point

Hunt In: Buna, Jasper county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post
My dad always wore a self inflating until this last year he came in off the lake in a rain storm and it went off. He said it scared 5 years off his life. He now wares a self inflating that you have to pull a cord to activate. If you are knocked out of the boat unconscious I don't think this will be much help. Is there a water activated self inflating life vest that won't go off in a rain storm?
Many of the inflatable life jackets now have the option for automatic/manual inflation. I Think this is the way to go. You could leave it on automatic or flip it to manual when fishing/running in the rain. I have always been worried about the manual ones because they do no good if you are unconscious. This would be a solution.
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #34
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have seen only one not inflate. It was early last year in a FL Collegiate event when a steering failure occurred and the passenger was tossed over and his didn't auto inflate. I'll try and find the video as they had a GoPro running.

One other note, I get the whole camo concept but camo is the last thing you want when someone is trying to find you in the water. We had a traditional black life jacket fly off the seat once while fishing and took a while to notice it was gone. We looked for 45 minutes and finally found it floating. I know the inflatables are yellow when deployed.

I wear a mustard yellow or sky blue rainsuit for that very reason now.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #35
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post

just jokes..
No kidding. Been in, around and owned boats (air, tiller johns, metal and glass) for 40 years and hooks have been the only cause of injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Good Topic. I have inflatables but I do worry if they will activate. Also, Inflatables are not CG approved on kids under 13 years old, no matter how big they are in stature. Secondly, an inflatable is only counted as a PFD in the boat if it's worn. I know it's a grey area but by the letter of the law, if you're not wearing it, you need to have a traditional life vest in the boat for each person.

Anytime the big motor is running, we have them on unless we are idling from one spot to another across a cove in broad daylight.

I was going to mention that. I only have inflatables in the kayaks. I should also wear them or at least have them out more. Junior is the only one who wears one.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #36
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
Just added an auto inflate to my cart on amazon!

My guests will just have to wear the bulky ones I currently have... lol
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #37
Bdub25
Spike

This has been my dad's rule for years. Once you step foot on his boat, you have a PFD on, and it stays on until you get off the boat.
Bdub25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #38
wal1809
Ten Point

Only one of these accidents was in my boat. I was there for the other three. The one in my boat is a long long story but in short, my now wife got hung up in a rope, detached her upper jaw from her skull behind the k9 teeth, yanked her out of the boat, rendered her unconscious and under the water. I jumped into the prop wash to trail back to where I thought she was at. I knew I had seconds and one shot to find her. AS I got close to where I thought she was at she popped up. She was in absolute shock. We drove her to Brownsville to the hospital (Ambulance would have had to come from Brownsville and then back so it was way faster) and the doctor said she was clueless as to how to put her back together. They took her by ambulance to Harlingen where by the grace of God was a reconstructive surgeon's convention. They made an announcement at the convention and the absolute best facial reconstruction surgeon in the world answered the call. That happened at 4 PM. She came out of her first of many surgeries at around 4 AM. When I talked to the doctor he said he had no clue how to put her back together. He asked God for direction and into it he went. After umpteen surgeries you can hardly tell she had that happen.

It's high time we wear them.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #39
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Your boat your rules. You might be fishing by yourself a lot though lol.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #40
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
How well do you Swim Unconcious?

Life Jacket is the Cheapest Insurance you will ever BUY.

How conscious do you have to be to pull a rip cord??
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #41
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT

Great for you! However I cannot see doing this all day while fishing ...aint gonna happen.
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #42
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Only one of these accidents was in my boat. I was there for the other three. The one in my boat is a long long story but in short, my now wife got hung up in a rope, detached her upper jaw from her skull behind the k9 teeth, yanked her out of the boat, rendered her unconscious and under the water. I jumped into the prop wash to trail back to where I thought she was at. I knew I had seconds and one shot to find her. AS I got close to where I thought she was at she popped up. She was in absolute shock. We drove her to Brownsville to the hospital (Ambulance would have had to come from Brownsville and then back so it was way faster) and the doctor said she was clueless as to how to put her back together. They took her by ambulance to Harlingen where by the grace of God was a reconstructive surgeon's convention. They made an announcement at the convention and the absolute best facial reconstruction surgeon in the world answered the call. That happened at 4 PM. She came out of her first of many surgeries at around 4 AM. When I talked to the doctor he said he had no clue how to put her back together. He asked God for direction and into it he went. After umpteen surgeries you can hardly tell she had that happen.

WOW, that is crazy, thank God she is here today!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #43
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

I may also recommend a strict eyewear policy...getting a hook in the eye...would SUCK.
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #44
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Auto inflate is the only kind on my boat. If you ride in my boat you wear it. No exceptions!
The downside to these is that extreme high humidity will dissolve the alka seltzer tablet and set it off. It's about a $40 bill to replace the co2 and tablet.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #45
fox1
Ten Point

Location: East Texan by birth but spending all my time in Okl.
Hunt In: now accepting invitations

Ill admit i never wore one while i lived in Texas unless i was fishing a tournament. Since i have moved to Oklahoma it is on anytime I'm on the water. These okies are complete morons on the water and i have seen more boating accidents and collisions here in 4 years than i seen in a lifetime in Texas.
I live right by Keystone lake and every weekend during the spring and summer you can find the ambulances at the boat ramps transporting someone and the police hauling someone off in cuffs.
fox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #46
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

At one time I only carried life jackets so I wouldn't get a ticket from the GW. Turns out they come in pretty handy to save lifes after your boat sinks in a storm on Lake Livingston. Everyone wears one in my boat from now on.

Hoggslayer
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #47
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county
Default New rule in my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

I agree with this.

Even when I am at the lake in the neighborhood I donít usually where one and 90% of the time I am fishing alone and most the time have the lake to myself.

When Iím in my dads boat I have the kids where them but not me. Heck, I usually not even have the kill switch on.

Iím an idiot I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #48
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Quote:

Wow! Got chills from this story. Amazing about the medical hands of God available at that moment. Who even knew there were conventions for reconstructive surgeons, and what would the odds be that such a pool of rare experts would be available at the precise moment in time and place your wife needed them. If this was a movie plot it would be considered absurd as totally contrived and unbelievable! Powerful testimony of facts!

As far as lifejackets, good swimmers don't swim well if they're unconscious. Really all there is to it.

Last edited by tradtiger; 01-10-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #49
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Live Oak, Duval

Good thread, I actually made it a must for us on our last trip to POC a couple weeks ago. We were wearing the Onyx inflatables. Luckily we did not forget to take them off before each wade. We did each manage to put them on backwards a time of two. I learned last year to remove the Co2 cartridges when not in use. That was expensive for 3 new recharge kits. They got wet from rainwater.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #50
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Here's a trick for y'all to get in the habit of wearing your PFD and your kill switch.

Cut the kill switch in half and re crimp it and attach it to the kill switch loop on your PFD. That way you HAVE to have your PFD to run the boat. I can't make you wear it but at the very least you'll have to have it out to run the motor.