Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM
Default Duck Hunting shotgun opinions

Hey guys, Ill be in the market very soon for a workhorse shotgun. Synthetic camo stock, and used for duck and turkey hunting. Budget will be $1500 or less. Who has what and how do you like the gun? A couple of guns I've been looking at are the Remington Versa Max and the Benelli M2. Thanks for your input!
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

The 3 B's.

Browning
Benelli
Beretta

In my opinion Remington has never compared. I have a brand new Remington V3 Auto sitting in the safe since I won it. Haven't even shot it. Will use it some day for a back up I am sure.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
duckmanep
Ten Point

^^ 3 B's he mentioned are the best way to go.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
CJ776
Six Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

New Browning A5. Had mine for over a year and it has performed flawlessly. I also beat on mine (throw it in boat, chunk it in up willows) and the camo dip hasn't come off or scratched yet.
CJ776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Gmann
Four Point

Yep, three B's

Beretta
Beretta
Beretta

Jaminelli, er Benellis are good, like Ford and Chevy

Brownings, too fickle for my taste

Versa Max, friend got one not too long ago, good looking gun, heavy as can be.

Been shooting a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard for almost 20 years now. Will bury me with that gun.
Gmann is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Walding1989
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall county

Browning
Benelli
Beretta
With that said I had a SBE2 that would hang empty hulls nearly every shot so I sold it. If buying today id def look at the Browning A5 and Beretta A400 Extreme.
Walding1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
m10
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

Franchi Intensity. Best shotgun I've ever owned
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Benelli M2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Thanks for the help so far. I like the 3 B's advice!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
RLUM
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

A-400 hands down. I would shoot an A5 first, I wanted one till i shot my buddy's and couldn't hit my @ss with both hands.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

I have had my Benelli M1 since the first year they came out. It has been through hell but it has never let me down. Not once has it misfed or misfired. If I had to find a new gun I would go with the M2
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Hunt In: Whatever public land I can find game on.

If you want to keep about half that coin in your pocket, the Beretta A300 Outlander is a great option. I've been very impressed with mine over the past 3 years. It's a gas operated gun, so the recoil seems a bit less abrupt than recoil (or inertia) driven options like Benelli, Franchi, and the Browning A5. It's very reliable. I recently competed in three sporting clays tournaments (100+ rounds each) with typical dirty range ammo and no cleaning between matches. It performed flawlessly through all three matches. It's synthetic, rugged, simple, and has some features that you typically don't find at that price point. Most notably, it comes with shim kits to adjust cast and length of pull. Once I adjusted it and found the sweet spot, my hit percentage took a pretty good jump. The only potential downside is that it's a 3" gun. If you want a 3.5" gun, Beretta makes the A350 Xtrema, which costs a bit more (but still less than many other options). I know others will have differing opinions, but I have never found a situation where I needed 3.5" shells, even when I hunted with a 3.5" gun. From doves to geese and turkeys, I've been pretty successful with 3" shells. If you're ever in DFW, I'd be happy to meet you at the range and let yourun my A300 through its paces.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander-camo-max5/
Slow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #13
Grady_jones
Six Point

Hunt In: sutton county

Beretta
Grady_jones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow&Steady View Post
If you want to keep about half that coin in your pocket, the Beretta A300 Outlander is a great option. I've been very impressed with mine over the past 3 years. It's a gas operated gun, so the recoil seems a bit less abrupt than recoil (or inertia) driven options like Benelli, Franchi, and the Browning A5. It's very reliable. I recently competed in three sporting clays tournaments (100+ rounds each) with typical dirty range ammo and no cleaning between matches. It performed flawlessly through all three matches. It's synthetic, rugged, simple, and has some features that you typically don't find at that price point. Most notably, it comes with shim kits to adjust cast and length of pull. Once I adjusted it and found the sweet spot, my hit percentage took a pretty good jump. The only potential downside is that it's a 3" gun. If you want a 3.5" gun, Beretta makes the A350 Xtrema, which costs a bit more (but still less than many other options). I know others will have differing opinions, but I have never found a situation where I needed 3.5" shells, even when I hunted with a 3.5" gun. From doves to geese and turkeys, I've been pretty successful with 3" shells. If you're ever in DFW, I'd be happy to meet you at the range and let yourun my A300 through its paces.

All you need to know.

If you really want one of those dumb inertia operated guns, save some money and get a Franchi.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #15
Gobblerslayer
Four Point

I second Franchi.
Gobblerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Quote:

Very generous offer! I didnt list that gun, but I had been looking at it. If I was near you, I would certainly take you up on the offer!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

Quote:

Saved me from typing. The A350 Extrema is what Iíve moved to.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
CJ776
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
All you need to know.

dumb inertia operated guns
There is a reason all the duck guides, outfitters, TV stars, and serious waterfowlers shoot inertia guns, just sayin! The inertia guns utilize simple mechanics and mechanisms that work. OP go shoot a few of both types and see what you like better. Some guys complain inertia guns kick like mules. Never been an issue for me and anyone I know.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #19
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ776 View Post
There is a reason all the duck guides, outfitters, TV stars, and serious waterfowlers shoot inertia guns, just sayin! The inertia guns utilize simple mechanics and mechanisms that work. OP go shoot a few of both types and see what you like better. Some guys complain inertia guns kick like mules. Never been an issue for me and anyone I know.
Because of marketing hype and coolness? I've seen first hand a LOT more failures from inertia guns than I have from gas guns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #20
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Completely disagree.

But first decide between gas or inertia for step 1. Then go from there. Do you want the gun to kick more or less? If the answer is less start looking at gas guns.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #21
HTDUCK
Six Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co, Ok Vernon Co, Mo

I own an SBE and a couple of gas Berettas.
Most of the time the SBE stays in the safe and a Beretta 390 Silver Mallard or a 391 Urika gets the nod when it's time to cut feathers.

Look around, find a clean used 390.
Your grandkids will be glad you did.
HTDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #22
CJ776
Six Point

Forget all the inertia vs gas and get the Browning Cynergy for sale on here. Thing looks wicked.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...hlight=Cynergy
Old 01-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #23
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

I love my Benelli Super Vinci. It's been a great shotgun. I just bought my son a Browning Maxus. It's a soft shooter and has been reliable so far.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #24
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
All you need to know.

If you really want one of those dumb inertia operated guns, save some money and get a Franchi.
I've had buddies go to South America on dove hunts where the guides provide those dumb inertia operated guns that have probably run tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds through them, and they are still shootin.

Dumb inertia guns, that's a new one for me.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
Walding1989
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall county

Quote:
Forget all the inertia vs gas and get the Browning Cynergy for sale on here. Thing looks wicked.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...hlight=Cynergy
Yes I agree with this post
Walding1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #26
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
I've had buddies go to South America on dove hunts where the guides provide those dumb inertia operated guns that have probably run tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds through them, and they are still shootin.

Dumb inertia guns, that's a new one for me.
Really? What dumb inertia guns were they handing out to shoot?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #27
dbwilson
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Stephens, Africa, Colorado

I really like my Beretta A300 I've used it for a couple seasons and had no issues at all with it. However I also have a Winchester Super X2 that I like to use for turkey hunting and duck sometimes. It's been an awesome gun and I have not had a single issue with it and rarely clean it. I think the newer model is a bit lighter and I'm sure it would perform very similar.
dbwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #28
MarkV
Pope & Young

I love my SBE 2. Last year in Kansas I tripped crossing under a fence through a tank. Gun was in my hands and what I put in the water to stop me from falling. Got back to the blind as another group of birds came in and emptied all 3 in it with water still coming out of the action. Has not missed a beat since.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #29
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
Really? What dumb inertia guns were they handing out to shoot?

20ga Benellis.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #30
quackadikt
Eight Point

Good for them. One of the few I've heard of that don't shoot Berettas down there.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #31
cstrey18
Four Point

Hunt In: Johnson/Hill/Bosque

I used my brothers versamax on my last hunt and I liked it. Didn't seem too heavy and less kick than my benelli nova, but the camo scratches easily and I think the Benelli feels better in my hands. My buddy has a 20 gauge m2. It's great for dove and he's killed a few ducks with it. I think a 12 gauge m2 would be good for ducks.
cstrey18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #32
schmalzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf coast and VA

i just picked up a 12ga M2. Only shot some clays with it thus far but very happy with it. handled low brass with no issues.
schmalzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #33
progolferv1
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
A-400 hands down. I would shoot an A5 first, I wanted one till i shot my buddy's and couldn't hit my @ss with both hands.
This. I have a benelli SB3, SB2, ethos, and M2. A400 is my go too. Very soft shooting. points amazing and knocks them down. Rifle gear in Plano has a400 came brand new. 1399 in stock. thats a deal.
progolferv1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #34
bk_tradguy88
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas and SE Oklahoma

I'll make it easier for you. For me this same debate came down to A400, Sbe 2, and super Vinci. They are all fine guns, just go handle each one and find the best fit. That's what matters the most on a shotgun. These are all quality guns and you are really splitting hairs in that essence. All 3 are different operating systems, and they all work. I have shot all of these, and for me it was hands down on the supervinci. Fit me like a glove. But the others were also great guns. Versamax is a good gun too, but for me it's too heavy. Something that heavy doesn't handle like I want, but my brother has one and it's a well functioning gun.
B
bk_tradguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #35
Bow Daddy
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazoria County

Benelli all the way. I think the SBE2 is best mix of rugged/weather proof and all other characteristics. I also like the Super Vinci if your shooting doesn't lend you prone to Benelli Vinci finger (look it up). It got me good and I adjusted. I saw this gun in Anchorage Sportsman's Warehouse for $1170 clearance last week. Best deal I have seen on a shotgun. I also like the balance of my franchi I-12s, but overall, I would go SBE2 or SBE3.
Bow Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #36
CodyWitt
Four Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico

I speak from experience (owned them all) Beretta and benelli both make great guns, but for a workhorse of a shotgun that will shoot every time there is only one choice. BENELLI. We hunt hard during the season and although beretta makes a awesome gun for the average guy, they do fail in hard use conditions.

Last edited by CodyWitt; 01-08-2018 at 09:30 PM.
CodyWitt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #37
CodyWitt
Four Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico

Anyone who tells you that the A400 is as stout as a benelli doesn’t hunt them very hard. I’m not partial to any brand and I own and shoot them all, but if I had to own one shotgun to do it all it would be a SBE series of guns.
CodyWitt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #38
Mr. Stickers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brackettville Tx.

Handle them all, & buy what fits you best....I really like my Beretta A350 Extreama
Mr. Stickers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #39
Mossback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal county

I have a SBE2 and just started shooting a Browning maxus I picked up for cheap when gander was going out of biz. Lets just say the SBE2 has been sitting in the safe all year and I don't see it coming out in the near future. That Maxus is a really sweet shooter
Mossback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #40
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I'll throw the Winchester SX4 out there.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #41
Mesquite Archer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney / Abilene, KS

I chose the Remington Versamax Waterfowl Pro and have been very satisfied.
Mesquite Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #42
texanhoyt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland,Stephens, Knox counties

Go to a registered NSCA sporting clay tournament and see what the majority of the auto loaders are there. Not gonna see many benellis but you will see a boat load of Beretta a400s, 391's, and even 390s which havnt been made in 15 years. Some of these guys put 200 plus rounds down the tube every weekend and the guns last for years and years. I am by no means saying the benellis are not good guns I hunt with a lot of guys who love them but the my xtrema 2, and a 400's have never let me down.
texanhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #43
Young gun 12
Six Point

Hunt In: NTX

a400. have a sbe2 and have constance issues with the sbe. never once, in the now 5 duck seasons and about 15000 shells have I ever had an issue with my a400
Young gun 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #44
offthemap
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Knox, Foard

I've been shopping for new a new 12ga autoloader for a year now (but have yet to pull the trigger ) and I've narrowed it down to 2 models based on how they shoulder & point for me and their price point. I intend to buy one in black and have it cerakote'd & dip the stock because I don't really like the camo job on most new guns. The SX4 in bottomland is probably the best that I've seen on a sub $1500 gun:

My favorite is the new Franchi Affinity - 3" chamber, 28" bbl, in black for around $700 online if you look around. Here's one @ http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=51487

Winchester SX4 - 3.5" chamber, 28" bbl, in black for $685 @ https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...5+Stk+Aluminum
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #45
Mathews Lefty
Four Point

I really like my Baretta A400, first season with it but it's been great. My Benelli SBEII has been put up and probably won't come back out because of the Baretta. Don't think you can go wrong either way though
Mathews Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #46
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

The inertia guns are much simpler and in my experience more reliable when abused. The gas guns definitely kick less and can be pretty well as reliable if taken care of. I'd pick the one that fits and points the best. It doesn't matter what brand it is if you can't hit anything with it.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #47
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Man lots of good info here, thanks guys. I agree with some of you about the feel of the gun, but that's only half of the equation. Reliability is the other half which was the main intent of the thread. Heading to Cabelas today to see what they have in stock. Based on opinions here and further research, I've got the Beretta 350 or 400 and Benelli SB2 as front runners. I'll see how they both feel and go from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by solocam_aggie; 01-09-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #48
quackadikt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhoyt View Post
Go to a registered NSCA sporting clay tournament and see what the majority of the auto loaders are there. Not gonna see many benellis but you will see a boat load of Beretta a400s, 391's, and even 390s which havnt been made in 15 years. Some of these guys put 200 plus rounds down the tube every weekend and the guns last for years and years. I am by no means saying the benellis are not good guns I hunt with a lot of guys who love them but the my xtrema 2, and a 400's have never let me down.
Another solid post, and true story. But those gas guns...They just aren't as tough as inertia guns

Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #49
Mossback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal county

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
Man lots of good info here, thanks guys. I agree with some of you about the feel of the gun, but that's only half of the equation. Reliability is the other half which was the main intent of the thread. Heading to Cabelas today to see what they have in stock. Based on opinions here and further research, I've got the Beretta 350 or 400 and Benelli SB2 as front runners. I'll see how they both feel and go from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
on the SBE2 when you push the shell loader up and it clicks on anything or hangs up, put it down and pick up another. You will have constant jamming problems. I've had prbs since day 1 with mine because of this and need to get a new one but haven't done it yet. good luck and shoulder the browning maxus, you may like it.
Mossback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #50
Clay C
Ten Point

This is relevant to my interests. So far i'm trying to decide between and A400 and M2.

I'm also impressed. 49 posts in a hunting shotgun thread and not one BS story about "used it for a paddle".
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top