Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #51
bullhead44
Ten Point

I got an orion cooker last year. It cooks a pretty good rib, and a great chicken and turkey. It will cook ribs in an hour and 15 minutes, and they are as tender as ones I smoke 5-6 hours on my big competition smoker. They are not quite as good as true smoked ribs, but If I don't have time to smoke, it works great. can fit 8 racks of baby backs on it. best thing about it is you light it, and forget it until the time is up.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #52
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Do they sell liquid smoke in Texas?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #53
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Some good looking ribs here.

I cook mine @ 225F for 3.5 hours, no foil. Then foil and cooler for an hour.

I use a dry rub w/ cumin, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and brown sugar, etc. I sometimes soak them in pineapple or apple juice for a few minutes to help the rub stick. I will also put a little of the juice in as I am foiling them to rest. As mentioned...always pull the membrane off and I use a paper towel as well.

I have sauce for dipping and never cook with it.

Ribs that are "fall off the bone" are overcooked ribs.

I do like the pig sickles and will probably try it soon. The Redhead loves grilled ribs.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #54
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The general consensus is that a "fall off the bone" rib is technically overdone.....however, not being a competition BBQer, I have never passed up or disliked a fall off the bone rib, even though I prefer to eat it off the rib...

It's all good..... folks just look at me funny when I eat it off the plate with my fingers..
Some people get the wrong impression about competition ribs. In the sanctions that I cook in you want your ribs as close to falling off the bone as you can get it. It isn't like KCBS (Pitmasters on TV) where the judge actually picks up the rib and looks for a perfect bite, all the judge gets in LSBS and IBCA is a plastic knife and they have to cut off a piece of the rib to try. If it isn't "fall off the bone tender" the judge is going to have a hard time getting a big enough piece to try.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #55
Free2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pipe Creek, Utopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
Some people get the wrong impression about competition ribs. In the sanctions that I cook in you want your ribs as close to falling off the bone as you can get it. It isn't like KCBS (Pitmasters on TV) where the judge actually picks up the rib and looks for a perfect bite, all the judge gets in LSBS and IBCA is a plastic knife and they have to cut off a piece of the rib to try. If it isn't "fall off the bone tender" the judge is going to have a hard time getting a big enough piece to try.
Interesting. I actually prefer a little pull to a rib, but my wife likes to be able to pull the bone right off the meat. Thanks for the insight.
Free2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #56
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

I guess it depends on what part of the country you are from and what sanctions you cook in.....either way I prefer to eat it off the rib....but don't hate it off ..
Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #57
txbowkill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

Quote:
either way I prefer to eat it off the rib....but don't hate it off ..
X2
txbowkill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #58
TC
Ten Point

Quote:
I guess it depends on what part of the country you are from and what sanctions you cook in.....either way I prefer to eat it off the rib....but don't hate it off ..
I know whatcha mean!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #59
bowpro12
Ten Point

Dang you TC.........just great......i'm starving for ribs again!

Quote:
These are my comp ribs from last weekend, hit 4th out of 28 with them. Same exact recipe also hit 16th out of 184 at nationals last year.
bowpro12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #60
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Season the night before. Wrapped in foil put in fridge. Heat pit to 225-250. Cook open for 4 hrs. On the third hr I apply a mop sauce that vinegar based and let it coon the last hour. Remove and let sit about half hour. Cut and serve. Kids love Em.
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #61
TC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpro12 View Post
Dang you TC.........just great......i'm starving for ribs again!
You better fire up the pit brother! those ribs you cooked a few weeks ago looked just right!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #62
Chuck Webb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I have cooked BB ribs for years and never peeled the silverskin off, can a pro tell me what the difference is...........mine are fall off the bone good and done over wood fire smoker's..........always willin' to learn a new trick!
Chuck Webb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #63
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I do have to giggle at the "competition judges" and the overcooked comments. So when the meat is so tender it melts in your mouth and/or falls off the bone it is overcooked?

LOL.

I prefer tender, juicy meat that falls apart...including brisket. I cook both kinds of brisket and I "tighten" the ribs back up.......but it's still funny. I prefer what tastes best....not what some professional judges says. Once I cool off my ribs they stick to the bone but be careful....it may just fall apart on you.

Actually it sticks perfectly but if you do it right you can also pull a whole slab of meat off.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #64
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Webb View Post
I have cooked BB ribs for years and never peeled the silverskin off, can a pro tell me what the difference is...........mine are fall off the bone good and done over wood fire smoker's..........always willin' to learn a new trick!
It is not silver skin....it's a clear membrane. I'm assuming to keep all the innards enclosed inside the rib cage when alive. Think of it as a clear liner or plastic wrap inside the rib cage with the texture of a sausage casing when done. It also keeps spice from penetrating good from the bottom. It take 5 secs to remove.

If you cook a pork rib to where it falls off the bone you may make it so soft you may not notice it. It is very noticeable in beef ribs.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #65
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
I do have to giggle at the "competition judges" and the overcooked comments. So when the meat is so tender it melts in your mouth and/or falls off the bone it is overcooked?

LOL.

I prefer tender, juicy meat that falls apart...including brisket. I cook both kinds of brisket and I "tighten" the ribs back up.......but it's still funny. I prefer what tastes best....not what some professional judges says. Once I cool off my ribs they stick to the bone but be careful....it may just fall apart on you.

Actually it sticks perfectly but if you do it right you can also pull a whole slab of meat off.

I agree about the competition judges and crowd....but

Why do you tighten the ribs back up if you are OK with them falling off the bone?.

Last edited by Smart; 03-18-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #66
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

So I can slice them to serve other people.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #67
Smart
Pope & Young

Touche'..
Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #68
TC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
So I can slice them to serve other people.
Quote:
Touche'..
hahaha
Old 03-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #69
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

I like to smoke mine with a mix of mesquite and apple wood at 225 for 2.5 hours. The apple wood mixed it keeps the mesquite from making the meat too bitter. I use Salt Lick BBQ rub I can usually find it at HEB. It is a pretty good comercial rub that has good flavor and a lot of black pepper in it to give it a little kick. I will then pull it off the pit and cover them in butter, honey and bown sugar and dust lightly with seasoning again and wrap tightly in foil. Put back on the pit another 2.5 hours. If you want sauce on them then unwrap and lightly sauce and put back on pit another 20 minutes just so it starts glazing up.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #70
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

A lot of good ideas and recipes, I rarely pull the membrane off the underside of the rib, I know that Franklin only does it in a competition, at least that is what he claims.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #71
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I always pull the membrane off. Not near as good as smoked ribs but try them in the crock pot on low all day long. Marinade as you do for the pit. Taste great but without the smoke flavor. Wife and I eat them once a month or so. Falling off the bone most time.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #72
Lonestarkid
Four Point

Hunt In: Cotulla

Can't stand it when people think" falling off the bone" means good ribs
TC, that's what ribs should look like, those look awesome brother!!
Lonestarkid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #73
KNEE DEEP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county,Texas

Try this sometimes.HEB sells a sauce in a jar called Roberts Reserve Pineapple,Coconut,Mango Tequila Sauce.I cook mine about 2 hours and the last 30-45 minutes put in foil and pour this sauce on it.I use about half a jar,soak them good.You talking about good.You can also use this sauce on grilled fish.Stuff is awesome.
KNEE DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #74
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarkid View Post
Can't stand it when people think" falling off the bone" means good ribs
TC, that's what ribs should look like, those look awesome brother!!
To each their on. Like them falling off the bone.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #75
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp View Post
I'm planning to cook baby back ribs for my wife's birthday party Saturday. What is the best way to cook them do they are tender and juicy.
Cook on pitt for about 2 hrs, then slide into the oven at 225 degrees, in a Dutch oven until tender....sauce is left up to you, personally I leave the sauce at the grocery store.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #76
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
These are my comp ribs from last weekend, hit 4th out of 28 with them. Same exact recipe also hit 16th out of 184 at nationals last year.
That pic makes me hungry......and I just ate !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #77
hopco.boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Wood Co., Rains Co.

Quote:
Smoke 3 hours at 225, wrap in foil and put meat side down for 3 hours at 225, remove from foil with 15 minutes left, turn meat side up, and glaze with your favorite sauce. let them rest on a wooden cutting board for about 10 minutes before cutting them. I do competitions so when i do my ribs i add sweeteners when I wrap them, but for back yard ribs i just use a dry rub then wrap them half way through. I normally wont even glaze my back yard ribs. good luck, let us know how it turns out for ya!
This is pretty much exactly how we do them. If you don't have six hrs though you can cook them at a little higher temp and they will still be good. I prefer low and slow though.
hopco.boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #78
hopco.boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Wood Co., Rains Co.

Oh and a glaze that we use most of the time is Dr. Pepper and brown sugar. You just pour out some of the DR and put brown sugar in it. Then screw the lid back on and poke a hole in it. Squire the mixture on top of the ribs and let carmelize.
hopco.boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #79
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Like others have said...season up with salt pepper garlic powder etc...smoke for a few hrs at 225 and then sauce em up, wrap in foil and put back on pit for another hour or so depending on how meaty they are. I like to make a BBQ sauce with sweet baby rays and dr. Pepper. It's pretty good.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395196572.555011.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  223.4 KB

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #80
Whale
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson & Red River Co.

I am liking this thread. Some good ideas.
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #81
esp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher Co.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Now I just have to decide which method I will try. Maybe a couple of different ones.
esp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #82
TC
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Now I just have to decide which method I will try. Maybe a couple of different ones.
You've gotta find what fits YOU. Good luck brother! I'm looking forward to some rib pics from you soon!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #83
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Not sure if this was mentioned, but if you cook directly over the heat (which I really dont recommend), be careful not to burn and dry them out. When cooking on my barrel bit, I build my fire by the air vent, and put my ribs on the other side by the stack and cook on indirect heat the whole time.

Just wanted to mention this, because you can burn the heck out of some ribs cooking them directly over some hot coals...
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #84
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Soooooo, which is best? A tender prime rib or a tough dry round steak?

LOL.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #85
AndyTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Co.

Great thread. I do like the fall off the bone ribs but like them on the bone too but maybe not as much. Could be I just ain't had them done right. Man, I'm ready for some ribs.
AndyTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #86
billfromtx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Electric smoker ( brinkmans from academy)
No foil for 45 min then wrapped in foil for 2.45 min with a good rub it is unbelievably easy and good
This is exactly how i do it as well! Awesome ribs!
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #87
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
That's the great thing about BBQ. Try all kinds to find how you and yours like it.

It's like Ford vs. Chevy, Bowtech vs. Matthews, mechanical vs. fixed blade. Lot's of different opinions on what is best. But in the end all that really matters is what suits you.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #88
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

If you have a smoker, I would suggest using any of the thirty "fall off the bone" methods listed here..

Save the oven ribs for a snow day...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #89
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Snow days are the best days to fire up the pit. LOL.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #90
esp
Ten Point

Default Ribs

Quote:
If you have a smoker, I would suggest using any of the thirty "fall off the bone" methods listed here..

Save the oven ribs for a snow day...
Yes , I do have a smoker ,but is not as big as yours. And I will be cooking them on the smoker. We do almost all of our cooking outside. I even cook pizza on my Weber gas grill.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #91
esp
Ten Point

Ribs ready to apply rub

Ribs with rub on them

Brisket with rub.
Ready to go back in the fridge and marinate till tomorrow morning. Gonna fire up the smoker at 7:00 in the morning and put the brisket on. Then about 4:00 the ribs will go on the smoker.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #92
pigstika1978
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South tx

Indirect heat "slow smoke" and of course you gotta put some love into any kind of cooking
pigstika1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #93
Storm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

You guys made me hungry and now I have ribs in the smoker so it's going to be a Late dinner for us!
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #94
Farmdog
Ten Point

Awesome work TC. I am too impatient and nuke em and eat them but those photos make me want to do it your way.
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #95
esp
Ten Point

Brisket on the smoker now. I'll put the ribs on at 4:00.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #96
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
start our boiling them in a large pot of water. after about an hour take them out and cook in the oven with sauce for about two more hours at 400 deg.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #97
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

My dinner is gonna be so yummy
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #98
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

The look great brother !!!!