Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
BuckySWT
Ten Point
 
BuckySWT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Hunt In: Menard County
Default Over brined backstrap question

And by overbrined, Iím mean it was in the brine, in the fridge in the garage...ice cold...for like a month.

Pulled em out and rinsed em off and they smell fine.
They look fine.

I was thinking about doing a smoke on em, wrapping em in cheesecloth and letting them hang and air cure in the outside fridge for about 5-7 weeks. Make it into a bresaola.

Yay or nay?
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #2
tkuehn5410
Pope & Young
 
tkuehn5410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Crosby, Dickens
Default

You didn't provide the most essential point on the thread, which is the percentage of brine/salinity as well as sugar added and then also whether it was a wet or dry brine.

If it was a dry brine, then the meat is cured and can be dried out or partially cooked to make some really nice bacon or ham.

If it was a wet brine, you could do a water purge and pull out the salt as well.
tkuehn5410 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Can never figure out why people go to such trouble trying to cover up the great flavor of backstrap
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
tkuehn5410
Pope & Young
 
tkuehn5410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Crosby, Dickens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Can never figure out why people go to such trouble trying to cover up the great flavor of backstrap
A lot of people want jerky and/or only burger, so the processors use the backstrap as jerky so they don't need to break down the hindquarters.
tkuehn5410 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
sharpstick35
Four Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Can never figure out why people go to such trouble trying to cover up the great flavor of backstrap
I don't try to cover up the taste of any of it. I get good roasts out of the legs and great stew meat from the neck. Even my ground meat isn't mixed unless I'm making patties or sausage. But i do everything myself and do it right.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 AM   #6
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckySWT View Post
And by overbrined, Iím mean it was in the brine, in the fridge in the garage...ice cold...for like a month.

Pulled em out and rinsed em off and they smell fine.
They look fine.

I was thinking about doing a smoke on em, wrapping em in cheesecloth and letting them hang and air cure in the outside fridge for about 5-7 weeks. Make it into a bresaola.

Yay or nay?
Yay. I dont know what braesola is but "do it now"...meanwhile Im gonna look it up.

Aint no such thing as overbrined...its just well brined. Blanch the salt from the meat if not desired.

Many folk dont like wild game taste. Blanching makes it tolerable. Brining makes it kick ***.

Ive year old cubed mulie packed in enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. The chili was killer fresh. Even MIL said it was best she'd ever had then. Gonna be off the hook when it gets busted out and crock potted.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 AM   #7
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young
 
Uncle Saggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default

Bresaola.... hmmmm
I say go for it!!!!!
I have a beef roast a week away from going into it's 8 week hang!!!!! Good stuff


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #8
Big Ace
Eight Point
 
Big Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Anywhere I Can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Yay. I dont know what braesola is but "do it now"...meanwhile Im gonna look it up.

Aint no such thing as overbrined...its just well brined. Blanch the salt from the meat if not desired.

Many folk dont like wild game taste. Blanching makes it tolerable. Brining makes it kick ***.

Ive year old cubed mulie packed in enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. The chili was killer fresh. Even MIL said it was best she'd ever had then. Gonna be off the hook when it gets busted out and crock potted.
I have never had wild game taste on a deer that I have processed myself. I am very particular and keep the meat clean and cold. Guts and skin off as soon as I can. 5-7 days aged.
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
BuckySWT
Ten Point
 
BuckySWT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Hunt In: Menard County
Default

It was a wet brine that I did the turkey in.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com