Grendel vs 6.8 out of a 16-18” barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
    I thought this was a pretty good article comparing the two. I own a Grendel, but unless you're shooting a looooonnngg way they're a very similar cartridge. They're about the same as a practical hunting round, but it's a lot of fun shooting 800+ yards with my Grendel. That's where it really beats the 6.8.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-v...t-perspective/
    Great article, thanks for posting.
    I like that he states both excel with reloads in the spec II chamber, but compares factory ammo since they both pick up ~200 fps from loading up to that spec. I also like the dead animals don't read brass headstamps comment

I wonder how they compare with pistol length speeds ?

Is there an advantage when comparing both in a 12.5" barrel one to the other? (which I do own in the 6.8, but haven't chronied yet).

If I wasn't 3 rifles in on the 6.8 I'd consider switching over due to all the 6.5 hype, but so far the animals I've shot this year have been just as dead with my 6.8's as they would have been if hit by an atomic bomb. Dead is dead so I'll spend my efforts elsewhere.

Comment

It really boils down to this.

If you reload.......go Grendel. Yes I know Academy carries it (when available) and Midway can get it to you in 24-48 hrs.

If you do not Remingtons backing of the 6.8 makes it the choice.

Comment

I've read that the 6.8 SPC was designed to shoot from a 16.0 inch long barrel. After the round was developed, it was found that it also shot well from shorter length barrels - but no one really knows why. As I recall, longer length barrels didn't seem to offer any significant improvements. Thus, the round appears to be optimized for the 16.0 inch long barrel. By the way, I have a 16.0 inch long barrel on my 6.8 SPC-II PSA AR.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
          It really boils down to this.

If you reload.......go Grendel. Yes I know Academy carries it (when available) and Midway can get it to you in 24-48 hrs.

If you do not Remingtons backing of the 6.8 makes it the choice.
          This is an interesting point. Hanging out on this forum you'd think Grendel was almost as popular as another 6.5 cartridge. Midway lists 24 6.8 SPC factory ammo choices, but only 9 for Grendel, well into "reloader's cartridge" range.

I'd still go with Grendel, and in a long barrel, especially if you're actually trying to get out to 300 yds with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
            This is an interesting point. Hanging out on this forum you'd think Grendel was almost as popular as another 6.5 cartridge.
            How dare you compare the Grendel to that wannabe 260!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              How dare you compare the Grendel to that wannabe 260!!!
              Exactly

Comment

I have both and love both. I have my 6.8 SPC in a 16in and use it out to 200 and prefer to use it on my tripods and stalk hunts. My 6.5G is a 20in and it is one heck of a tack driver, I will use it when box stand hunting or sitting on the ground. I have not killed with the 6.5 yet but plan on changing that tomorrow. The 6.8 with 120sst has dropped everything in its tracks. Both barrels are ARP both shoot sub moa to 200 yards, but the 6.5 holds tighter at 300 plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Halo View Post
                  I have both and love both. I have my 6.8 SPC in a 16in and use it out to 200 and prefer to use it on my tripods and stalk hunts. My 6.5G is a 20in and it is one heck of a tack driver, I will use it when box stand hunting or sitting on the ground. I have not killed with the 6.5 yet but plan on changing that tomorrow. The 6.8 with 120sst has dropped everything in its tracks. Both barrels are ARP both shoot sub moa to 200 yards, but the 6.5 holds tighter at 300 plus.
                  Bolt guns or gas?

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                    I thought this was a pretty good article comparing the two. I own a Grendel, but unless you're shooting a looooonnngg way they're a very similar cartridge. They're about the same as a practical hunting round, but it's a lot of fun shooting 800+ yards with my Grendel. That's where it really beats the 6.8.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-v...t-perspective/
                    That’s a really great article thanks for posting! Seems like it’s just a matter of personal preference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                      This is an interesting point. Hanging out on this forum you'd think Grendel was almost as popular as another 6.5 cartridge. Midway lists 24 6.8 SPC factory ammo choices, but only 9 for Grendel, well into "reloader's cartridge" range.

I'd still go with Grendel, and in a long barrel, especially if you're actually trying to get out to 300 yds with it...

Grendel will work in shorter barrels. Lglidewell on here has a thread of where he shot a big old porker with a 12.5” Grendel at close to 400 yards if I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X