Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 12-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #51
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
I completely agree but you also CAN die without proper healthcare but plenty on here will tell you that's not a right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Its not a right, but i dont get free water or electricity or healthcare (dont get me started on that one). I do have an option for electricity though on who i want to use. Prices vary.

People are only mad because it is most likely going to cost more to do the exact same thing they are getting now for less. That is what it boils down to. Other than that, its no different than anything else in this country.

Asking for more government control over things is a slippy slop. This isnt a Monopoly because there is lots of providers. If you let free market work the way its supposed to, without uncle sam controlling it, prices with level out.

I see your argument, im just looking at it more on the side of "what if i owned an internet company". I dont want to be told "hey you HAVE to give these people your service this way. Thats just not American to me.

Last edited by Part Timer; 12-15-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #52
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
No. But neither is electricity or clean water and we regulate the access, quality and distribution of those.

SURELY you understand those are more essential to life than access to the internet.

Surely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #53
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
I completely agree but you also CAN die without proper healthcare but plenty on here will tell you that's not a right.

Iíve never seen anyone turned away from health CARE that was in a life/death situation.

Heath INSURANCE is a different discussion.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #54
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
SURELY you understand those are more essential to life than access to the internet.

Surely.

Yes I understand...my response was meant to be tongue in cheek. Although I would argue there is a subculture of people who would claim that access to the internet makes life worth living...take this website for instance I kid I kid.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #55
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Timer View Post
You CAN die without clean water and electricity........You CANT die without internet. Its just not possible.
I'm sure there would be a lot of suicides if the internet was permanently turned off....does that count?

dangit Jonboy beat me to it!
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #56
JonBoy
Ten Point

Quote:
Its not a right, but i dont get free water or electricity or healthcare (dont get me started on that one). I do have an option for electricity though on who i want to use. Prices vary.

People are only mad because it is most likely going to cost more to do the exact same thing they are getting now for less. That is what it boils down to. Other than that, its no different than anything else in this country.

Asking for more government control over things is a slippy slop. This isnt a Monopoly because there is lots of providers. If you let free market work the way its supposed to, without uncle sam controlling it, prices with level out.

I see your argument, im just looking at it more on the side of "what if i owned an internet company". I dont want to be told "hey you HAVE to give these people your service this way. Thats just not American to me.
Bingo...you've cracked the code. Consumers will likely pay more for less...a story that unfortunately seems to repeat itself all through our economy. We pay more for internet access than most countries and have some of the slowest speeds around.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/i...ower-expensive

And that was BEFORE all of this NN hoopla. So much for innovation.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #57
Jason
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

Quote:
Bingo...you've cracked the code. Consumers will likely pay more for less...a story that unfortunately seems to repeat itself all through our economy. We pay more for internet access than most countries and have some of the slowest speeds around.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/i...ower-expensive

And that was BEFORE all of this NN hoopla. So much for innovation.
From the article you posted:
Quote:
So why are Americans paying more for slower service? The answer: Thereís limited competition in the broadband market.
In seems to me, that doing away with government regulation will open the door to more competition, which should also mean better service/prices for the consumer in the long run.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #58
Neck
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Quote:
No.
Okay good, I just wanted to make sure that fundamentally, we were on the same side.

I believe the FTC is already in place to provide protections from everything that everyone is saying we should be worried about. The FTC and states' attorney generals are already in place to protect against fraud and gouging. Also didn't the companies that where caught throttling bandwidth get busted by the FCC and forced to stop even before NN? I don't believe giving any bureaucracy carte blanche authority over something is the way to go. Instead, if it is determined that some regulations are needed then do it in Congress where we have an accountable body that is elected by we the people.

Before we just grant the FCC power to pick winners and losers with respect to the internet we should stop and think about where it could lead. We have already seen what the IRS is capable of and now the FBI and countless other politically motivated bureaucracies. We should proceed with caution.
Neck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #59
JonBoy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
From the article you posted:

In seems to me, that doing away with government regulation will open the door to more competition, which should also mean better service/prices for the consumer in the long run.
The referenced article was published a month or so after NN rules were set in place so the data quantifying our internet price per Mb and maximum available download speeds were already a few years old...during the time where regulation was low. So by that limited amount of data it would seem that Government regulation hasn't done anything to decrease competition or decrease the speed & quality of internet access. On the contrary, over the last few years online streaming services have soared and several new services have popped up and taken hold.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #60
JonBoy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
Okay good, I just wanted to make sure that fundamentally, we were on the same side.

I believe the FTC is already in place to provide protections from everything that everyone is saying we should be worried about. The FTC and states' attorney generals are already in place to protect against fraud and gouging. Also didn't the companies that where caught throttling bandwidth get busted by the FCC and forced to stop even before NN? I don't believe giving any bureaucracy carte blanche authority over something is the way to go. Instead, if it is determined that some regulations are needed then do it in Congress where we have an accountable body that is elected by we the people.

Before we just grant the FCC power to pick winners and losers with respect to the internet we should stop and think about where it could lead. We have already seen what the IRS is capable of and now the FBI and countless other politically motivated bureaucracies. We should proceed with caution.
I can find common ground with you here. But to summarily dismiss something just because it came during the tenure of someone with a (D) or an (R) next to their party line shouldn't happen either. I really hate the fact that civil discourse has given way to tribal politics. These topics don't have to be black or white...there is room for grey...so long as we proceed with caution. I'm really pleased with the discussion on this thread though

Last edited by JonBoy; 12-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #61
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes I understand...my response was meant to be tongue in cheek. Although I would argue there is a subculture of people who would claim that access to the internet makes life worth living...take this website for instance I kid I kid.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #62
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

One thing is certain: If you let government fix whatever problem you're currently having, you will end up with more and worse problems after government is through "fixing" things. And it doesn't matter what letter the government fixers have after their names.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #63
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
One thing is certain: If you let government fix whatever problem you're currently having, you will end up with more and worse problems after government is through "fixing" things. And it doesn't matter what letter the government fixers have after their names.
Yes sir......every time

Typically what gov. does is screw it up then convince people that they are the solution to fix it
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #64
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Nevermind....this clears it all up straight from the horses mouth....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...&v=LFhT6H6pRWg
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 04:00 AM   #65
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:

Surely.

Did you know most medical records that are used to save people's lives are stored and accessed via the internet?

Ambulances use GPS and other medical devices that are tracked via the internet.

How does CVS get that Warfarin prescription from your doctor? Its not a post it note.
Its the internet.

How do you select your health insurance coverage?
On the internet.

How does your doctor get paid for treating your illness?
They submit a invoice via the internet.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #66
Gunome
Four Point

I think I would rather pay the providers or companies rather than the government so I think it's a good thing.
Gunome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #67
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
Did you know most medical records that are used to save people's lives are stored and accessed via the internet?

How does CVS get that Warfarin prescription from your doctor? Its not a post it note.

Its the internet.

On the internet.

Yes but that doesnít affect the average consumer that is watching Netflix, YouTube Facebook, etc.

I understand e-Commerce and such is part of the Internet. Surely you understand thatís what I was referring to.

Surely.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #68
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

Quote:

Its the internet.

On the internet.

Yes, but you can do all those things without the internet, it just makes life easier. Thats why its a luxury not a necessity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #69
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Food, water, shelter..............and the internet.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 12:42 AM   #70
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes, but you can do all those things without the internet, it just makes life easier. Thats why its a luxury not a necessity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Nobody is keeping paper medical records anymore.
So if you're allergic to medicines or if you are taking Medicine A which is known bad reactor with Medicine B that won't be caught because the internet is down.

The internet is our e-highway and needs to be controlled just like the Federal highway interstate system

When liberals like Ted Turner control market share of internet companies and quintuple internet rates for hunting websites and forums and the green screen is forced to shutdown I'm sure folks round here will sing different tune.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #71
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

So if you're allergic to medicines or if you are taking Medicine A which is known bad reactor with Medicine B that won't be caught because the internet is down.

The internet is our e-highway and needs to be controlled just like the Federal highway interstate system

When liberals like Ted Turner control market share of internet companies and quintuple internet rates for hunting websites and forums and the green screen is forced to shutdown I'm sure folks round here will sing different tune.

Omg how did we live without the internet before?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling......

Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #72
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Omg how did we live without the internet before?

The sky is falling, the sky is falling......

Tfan has a hard time grasping that there are already rules in place to keep his nightmare scenarios from taking place.....if they were not the apocalypse he's worried about would have happened already. AL Gore INVENTED THE DANG OVER 20 YEARS AGO.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #73
texansfan
Ten Point

LoL there is a HUGE thread in ATC about cryptos..
All that is run off....The Internet.

Stock markets???
Internet.

Its bigger than y'all think.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #74
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
This is exactly the reason why it was killed. Like it or not, Net Neutrality was one of the good things to come out of that administration. To kill it only further empowers the Internet Service Providers and will strain businesses like SlingTV, Netflix, Hulu and other online-only streaming content providers. This was a big win for big business and establishment cable providers. If you were ever looking to cut the chord on cable, this just made it that much harder.
Well, that might not be so bad. I don't do streaming video, so it may mean my kps may go up.

Those streaming video sources need to pay their fair share.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #75
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
It must be down every time I go to the doctor. Same old questions, drugs being taken, allergies.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #76
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Doesn't Al Gore control all the rights to the Internet since he invented it?? Dang liberals want control of everything
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #77
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Not trying to be argumentative but remember that regulations such as Fair Labor Standards Act got us things like an 8 hour workday and the weekend. Without those kinds of regulations we'd still be working in horrid conditions, dealing with child labor issues and probably wouldn't have half the time luxuries we do today.
You're a UNION libtard!
Old 12-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #78
JonBoy
Ten Point

Quote:
You're a UNION libtard!
Umm...nice retort? I like to think of myself as an Independent pragmatist but I appreciate the unfounded name calling. And for the record I've never been in a union.

Last edited by JonBoy; 12-24-2017 at 02:04 PM.