Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 12-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #51
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Here is my take.... The tax bill is GOOD NEWS. Does it fix all the problems? HECK NO! Will this pay us out of debt? I doubt it but it will at least slow the trend while entitlements are assessed. the thought process is that entitlement spending will decrease as more good paying jobs pull people that are currently on Gov support back into the work force and start paying SS.

Do we have to ride this mule? Yes! At least we have a mule to ride uphill instead of a snake slithering down hill..
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #52
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
When they say save will this be more money in my check each week or will I not have to write a check anymore?

Also when does this take place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assuming Trump signs it, the new tax rates tax effect January 1st. It will take a couple more weeks for the IRS to adjust the withholding tables that employers use to calculate how much income tax to withhold from your paycheck, so it will be February before you see a little more take home pay in your paycheck. Even though they will still be withholding more in January, you will still ultimately be taxed at the new lower rates for the entire year. Whenever you file your 2018 tax return in early 2019, you'll settle up on the final numbers then, as usual. You'll either get a refund if you had too much withheld, or you'll write an additional check when you file if you didn't withhold enough during the year. Either way, the total amount that the IRS ends up taking from you for 2018 will be lower than it would have been if the tax cut would not have passed.

There is talk about Trump waiting until January to sign the bill. If that happens, the tax cut still takes effect January 1, 2018. But it would postpone required cuts to federal spending until 2019. If he signs the bill into law during 2018, then they will be required to cut spending in 2018. That would be best, of course. But they won't do that, I'm sure.

Last edited by Shane; 12-21-2017 at 11:26 AM..
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #53
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Assuming Trump signs it, the new tax rates tax effect January 1st. It will take a couple more weeks for the IRS to adjust the withholding tables that employers use to calculate how much income tax to withhold from your paycheck, so it will be February before you see a little more take home pay in your paycheck. Even though they will still be withholding more in January, you will still ultimately be taxed at the new lower rates for the entire year. Whenever you file your 2018 tax return in early 2019, you'll settle up on the final numbers then, as usual. You'll either get a refund if you had too much withheld, or you'll write an additional check when you file if you didn't withhold enough during the year. Either way, the total amount that the IRS ends up taking from you for 2018 will be lower than it would have been if the tax cut would not have passed.

There is talk about Trump waiting until January to sign the bill. If that happens, the tax cut still takes effect January 1, 2018. But it would postpone required cuts to federal spending until 2019. If he signs the bill into law during 2018, then they will be required to cut spending in 2018. That would be best, of course. But they won't do that, I'm sure.
Good chance no signing until January. Need to make sure no backlash for midterm elections due to cut backs hitting voters. I have not seen anything about doing basic taxes on a postcard? I guess the CPA ASSOCIATION got that kicked out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #54
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Here is my take.... The tax bill is GOOD NEWS. Does it fix all the problems? HECK NO! Will this pay us out of debt? I doubt it but it will at least slow the trend while entitlements are assessed. the thought process is that entitlement spending will decrease as more good paying jobs pull people that are currently on Gov support back into the work force and start paying SS.

Do we have to ride this mule? Yes! At least we have a mule to ride uphill instead of a snake slithering down hill..
U are correct Steve. I pray the "devil in the details" is digestible. The entitlement discussion will be pure fireworks......but entertaining!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #55
Thumper
Pope & Young

I'm going to pay $1000 to $1200 less in taxes next year.

Neighbor said this tax bill wasn't going to save him any money, he's on full disability and doesn't pay income taxes, but he's hoping the **** stupid high property and school taxes are next.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #56
Dr. Evil
Ten Point

my wife and I will save ~$4300.00. I'll take it. That is about how much a decent lease costs these days!!
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #57
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

Well its signed now! Go Trump for sticking to his word and getting stuff done.
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #58
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

It's a positive start. You can't turn around a carrier on a dime. It takes time and a lot of power.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #59
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Now if I could pay less for health care as well as taxes, then I would be ok. As it is now I already pay 3 times more for insurance than I do for taxes annually.

Taxation(and mandated health care) is theft.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #60
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
Now if I could pay less for health care as well as taxes, then I would be ok. As it is now I already pay 3 times more for insurance than I do for taxes annually.

Taxation(and mandated health care) is theft.
Maybe we stop calling it healthcare (mandated ore otherwise) and call it what it IS.... insurance.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #61
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
Maybe we stop calling it healthcare (mandated ore otherwise) and call it what it IS.... insurance.
Not sure it can be classified as insurance either
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top