Homemade bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade bacon

Saw this up here a while back and have been itching to give it a go, so when the wife and I were in Costco we picked up some pork belly to give it a shot.

First I cut it in half to get 2, 5lb pieces, then cut in half again for 2, 2.5lb pieces. This way we can get a good run of experimentation going. If one doesn't work out, I won't feel too bad about a small loss.

We decided to do two different cures. The first is going to be a salt, brown sugar, sage, rosemary, black pepper, lemon juice cure.

We just put them in a gallon freezer bag. And into the fridge for the next week. The second one was brown sugar, salt, maple syrup, black pepper.

In a week I'lol pull out the ECB smoker and smoke the maple pig over maple and do a separate run over oak for the Rosemary. Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice. Looking forward to the results. I did a belly last winter, one dry cure and one wet. The wet turned out very good but the dry was way too salty. Not sure where I went wrong. Smoked at 140 for 5hrs if I remember right

Comment

In for the results too. Would be fun to try this myself...

Comment

^

Comment

My son in law did some last year....made me wonder what that crap is we having buying at the store. Best bacon ever!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can make your own bacon? Well now I need to get a smoker built so that I can start doing the same!

Now if it was only possible to make my own beer.......

Kidding! I'm in to see how this turns out as it's something I've been wanting to try myself. I had some from the neighbor last fall and I agree with JayB in that it made me wonder what in the heck I was buying in the "Bacon" packages at the store.

Richard.

Comment

I've been wanting to do this but waiting until I get my smoke house built. Too bad it is near the bottom of the project list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good already.

Comment

Oh yes!!!!! That's good eating right there

Comment

Buckboard bacon! Mmm good slice thick for more ham like or thin for more bacon like and fry it up!

Comment

Looks good so far

Comment

Makin Bacon

I just finished this bad boy cut it up last night
                        Attached Files

Comment

Man that's gonna be good. One of my goals is to do a little more camp cooking vs going to town and eating this year. This would help

Comment

Originally posted by airehead View Post
                            I just finished this bad boy cut it up last night

Looking REALLLY good right there. If I have that kind of result I'm going to be plenty pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                              Man that's gonna be good. One of my goals is to do a little more camp cooking vs going to town and eating this year. This would help

PBUCKSHOT this is a result of the exact same thing the wife and I came to. Too much money was flying out the door to someone else for food. We did a garden this year, went on a super tight eating out budget (30 bucks a month) and it has caused us some serious creativity around the house. One of our best choices so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X