257wby Bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

257wby Bullets?

What’s you go to for dropping a big whitetail in his tracks? This would be on big Mexico bucks with no concern for meat saving just for making sure a buck runs in the thick brush as little as possible. Also shots would be 200ish max

I'd be looking at Partitions or Accubonds at weatherby speeds

Comment

I use the 110 grain accubonds and have had great results.

Comment

110 Accubonds is what I have been using for the last 10 years on my 257 WBY. I am thinking of trying out the ELD-X from Hornady. My buddy shoots them and they do a ton of damage, softball size exit holes.

Comment

A strong bullet and shoulder shots usually anchor them for me

Comment

I was looking hard at Accubonds. Chad at Custom Reloads of Dallas suggested the 115 berger vld with what I told him which kind of caught me off guard at 200yd or less and 3300-3400fps.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              I was looking hard at Accubonds. Chad at Custom Reloads of Dallas suggested the 115 berger vld with what I told him which kind of caught me off guard at 200yd or less and 3300-3400fps.
              No experiece with the Bergers in the weatherby but when run hard out of my sendero 25-06 they can be nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                No experiece with the Bergers in the weatherby but when run hard out of my sendero 25-06 they can be nasty.
                In a good way?

Comment

Ive shot countless deer with my vanguard sporter. Made the switch from 120gr partitions last year to the 110gr Accubonds (which are more accurate out of my rifle) shot 3 deer last year and 4 this year. Everyone hit in front of the shoulder at the base of the neck. All 7 DRT, not one step. All at 200 yards or less. Zero bullet pass throughs but you dont need a pass through or bloodtrail if you smack em on the stop button

Comment

I shoot 100 gr. Barnes TSX in the .257 STW and have never had a deer (or hog) take a step. I am going to try a load with the accubonds when I get some time, but Barnes have been good for me at around 3825 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      In a good way?
                      More meat damage than I like but very much DRT.

Comment

I’ve shot the 115 vld in mine for years. They are pretty devastating. Way way better performer for me than the 110 accubond

Comment

sorry wrong thread
                          Last edited by clay4626; 02-07-2018, 08:04 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
                            There's not two much to trouble shoot on a elec water.
                            As said above make sure the circuit breaker hasn't tripped
                            Most elec water heaters are hardwired. there should be a panel where the wire enters the heater. turn off the circuit breaker and remove the panel.
                            If you have a meter turn on the breaker and check for 220 between the two wires that don't go to ground or you should have 110 on each leg to ground.
                            if that's good then find where the heating element is and check there to see if you have 220 across the heating element. turn the thermostat all the way up.
                            If you have 220 across the heating element and no hot water then the element is bad.
                            If thermostat is at max temp and no power at element then you have a thermostat problem
                            I've never hit a deer with an electric water heater but if you could push it fast enough I bet it would do the job

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                              I shoot 100 gr. Barnes TSX in the .257 STW and have never had a deer (or hog) take a step. I am going to try a load with the accubonds when I get some time, but Barnes have been good for me at around 3825 fps.
                              I do not own one 'yet' but help a couple buddies & load the Barnes for them & feedback is good. I've also loaded the accubond but they say the Barnes group better.

You must have a long bbl...

Comment

Working...
                              X