Hoggin' thread that works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoggin' thread that works!

Checked the trailcam the other day and noticed some hefty visitors.

After another uneventful attempt at deer-hunting
    (aka = setting in a treestand and playing Tetris)
    I decided to visit the hogs most used feeder (just refilled it on Monday).

I've got to thank NelsonV for having his trailcam hanging up to catch these next photos for me to share.

6:15pm

The snazzy light (below) is my Ameristep Hunters Blind Light/Fan Combo.

Ameristep premium ground blinds are engineered to keep you hidden in your hunt. We continually innovate our blinds and accessories to get you closer to the hunt.

$ 15.39 on Amazon

I don't think they intended it for hog-hunting when they put them on the market, but they work really well... and inexpensive!!!
    Comes with a little hook for the roof of your blind and has worked great attached to a nearby tree-limb and ready for action.
    2 "D" batteries (lasted numerous evening attempts this summer - generally resulting in raccoons).
    Hang this light as high as you can reach so it will cast more light.
    This limb worked great because the plastic hook fit around it and it was close enough to keep a bright cast of light on the intended target, while shining away from my eyes.

I had planned to film this attempted hog hunt and brought along our smaller, secondary video camera...
    but quickly realized I didn't check how to change the iris, shutter speed, and manual gain on it for this very low-light filming endeavor.

I was ill prepared to be hunting for hogs (sight pin had a dead battery too).
    So a couple times during the evening I used my flashlight to charge up the glowing material around my sight guard.

We have this stand up in a cedar tree, maybe 20 yards from the feeder.
    With a full moon lighting up the world last night, it was easy to see.

6:16pm

Based on the other trail cameras on the property, I thought the hogs would be in around 10pm?

They surprised me and came at a little after 8pm.
    It was a really pleasant sit, no bugs, nice breeze, and coyotes yelping in every direction thru the evening.

When they arrived, it was quick, a mad dash in.
    Never had a situation with so many large hogs in a group.

The only trouble was picking (1), as they jammed themselves in under the feeder.
    All their heads were pointing towards the light, but in a blob, it was hard to tell where one pig ended and the other began.
    There was a mass of black pig and a LOT of legs down there.

They kind of freaked out one time a little, but came right back in to get some of the golden nuggets.

8:07pm

8:08pm

8:09pm

8:10pm

8:11pm

I picked out what looked to be one of the bigger hogs and let'r rip.

An arrow hitting an animal is a beautiful sound... but which animal was it and what direction did it go?
    Hogs darted off in every possible combination of an Easterly direction, going back from which they came.
    Some NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, & SSE

I waited on stand and made a few phone calls, asking others if hogs ever come back for more?

There was no need to rush down there and walk into that many NOW AGGITATED hogs.

After (2) more hours on stand and no more visitors.
    I picked up the blood trail.
    Along the way I found the back 1/2 of the arrow.
    Continued on the trail until the hog crossed a wide open grassy area.
    Unsure of the exact hit, I went to bed.

10:06pm

This morning I played some more Tetris in the treestand.
    There is a 2 minute game which is pretty good and allows me to scan the area.
    Don't play the game that allows you to continue on indefinitely... who knows what could be going on around you during all that time.

After the uneventful, wind-whipped morning in stand, I got down and picked up the bloodtrail.

(That's my Hoyt AlphaMax 35" - so how big does it make that hog?)
    She was a solid animal and pretty tough to move around.

I've only shot a few hogs, but she is definitely my biggest.
    Can't wait to get a crack at some of the hogs that were noticeably larger.

Those night pics of you make you look like you have Scurvy !!!!!! You may need to get some Vitamin E in you. Or is that Vitamin C? Oh well you need something!!! Nice shootin there though

Comment

Cool hunt! Congrats!

Comment

Dang man. Dat dere is a big piece of bacon. I guess you only kill things when the camera is put away.

Congrats!

Comment

I think it's better without the lights turned on...

Comment

congrats

Comment

Nice pig Scott

Comment

great job. Nice pig.

Comment

Good job Scott! KAP!!!

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Nice pig you got there! How do you like shooting that Hoyt? Is that the carbon matrix?

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by JBH1979 View Post
                          Nice pig you got there! How do you like shooting that Hoyt? Is that the carbon matrix?
                          I enjoy shooting it with fingers, while using a 3-finger shooting glove.
                          (That's my Hoyt AlphaMax 35" - so how big does it make that hog?)

Comment

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

You got a lot of hogs. Congrats on putting one down.

Comment

Working...
                              X