New Orleans Statues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post
    If that's the case, then it's a bad thing.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
    That was the case and it should have went to the polls. Now with that being said, if it had went to the polls it would have went down in flames as the city is approaching 62% descendants of slaves! The Mayor did this unilaterally as he has other political aspirations in the future......total political BS!

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post
      The Civil War was fought for state's rights, but also was fought over slavery. The south wanted to keep the institution of slavery intact. Therefore, the people who fought for the south were in part fighting for slavery.
      If A=B
      and B=C
      then....
      A=C

Seems like many on TBH failed logic in grade school

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        That was the case and it should have went to the polls. Now with that being said, if it had went to the polls it would have went down in flames as the city is approaching 62% descendants of slaves! The Mayor did this unilaterally as he has other political aspirations in the future......total political BS!

If you got everyone in NO at the ballot it could of very well gone in favor of removal. In a democracy the majority rule and that would be that. I agree 100 percent on motive of the Mayor. He wants his sisters old seat at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Information on New Orleans, La. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.

2010 census population (rank):
          White: 113,428 (33.0%); Black: 206,871 (60.2%);

Yeah, OK.
          When a majority of Blacks vote to keep a statue up of a white man that fought to keep their great-grandparents enslaved and without rights and not being able to drink from the same water fountain as a white man you let me know.

Referendum would have been nothing more than a formality.

What are you going to do when gay marriage and smoking weed gets put up for a vote in Texas and PASSES?
          You can't hide from numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
            If you got everyone in NO at the ballot it could of very well gone in favor of removal.
            I see you wouldn't mind bringing back the Poll Tax or Voter's Literacy test.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              https://www.infoplease.com/world/us-...new-orleans-la
              2010 census population (rank):
              White: 113,428 (33.0%); Black: 206,871 (60.2%);

Yeah, OK.
              When a majority of Blacks vote to keep a statue up of a white man that fought to keep their great-grandparents enslaved and without rights and not being able to drink from the same water fountain as a white man you let me know.

Referendum would have been nothing more than a formality.

What are you going to do when gay marriage and smoking weed gets put up for a vote in Texas and PASSES?
              You can't hide from numbers.

There was no vote. I dont care about your predictions. Show me where the people decided. You cant because they didnt.

Comment

To say the civil war was about states rights and not slavery is foolish at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some folks need to do a little reading up in history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                    To say the civil war was about states rights and not slavery is foolish at best.
                    It was about State's Rights (to keep slavery in tact).

Facts and frequently asked questions relating to the American Civil War.  Many elements of Civil War scholarship are still hotly debated.  The facts on this page are based on the soundest information available.  We provide facts, dates, figures, tables and clarification of common misconceptions.

Q. What caused the Civil War?

While many still debate the ultimate causes of the Civil War, Pulitzer Prize-winning author James McPherson writes that, "The Civil War started because of uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states. When Abraham Lincoln won election in 1860 as the first Republican president on a platform pledging to keep slavery out of the territories, seven slave states in the deep South seceded and formed a new nation, the Confederate States of America. The incoming Lincoln administration and most of the Northern people refused to recognize the legitimacy of secession. They feared that it would discredit democracy and create a fatal precedent that would eventually fragment the no-longer United States into several small, squabbling countries."

Comment

Yes states rights to keep slavery was one of the issues but not the biggest issue, at least not what led to war. Money was a huge factor as well. The South had almost all of it and the north didn't. Europe was paying top dollar for cotton (it was the oil of its time). One by one as the states succeeded the money to the government dwindled. Federal government offered up the Corwin amendment. Look that up

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                        One by one as the states succeeded the money to the government dwindled.

This gives me tired head. What does this mean?

Comment

This thread has kind of gotten off topic. Wasn't meant to debate what the real reasons the Civil War was fought, but what did everyone feel about the removal of statues and monuments to those that supported the Southern cause. And like many things in today's world it reveals great division among us.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet
                            ... There was no referendum vote to do it was there? Research it and get back to me troll

Youd do better on here without using insults to try and make a point. Youll find me and most on here not agreeable with that.

So what are we doing about the statues that UT brought down And relocated without a vote?
                            Last edited by texansfan; 08-22-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Antagonist Alert!!!

Comment

the Dallas mayor said they will be taken down in Dallas soon. What's next? If they think these morons are gonna stop protesting **** when they're removed then they(politicians) are naive morons themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X