Need Tree Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Tree Suggestions

My wife and I will be closing on our first home in a couple weeks. It’s in Tomball; northwest of Houston.

It’s a newly constructed house, so there are no existing trees and only two planted live oaks in the front yard. They’re 8-10ft tall. I’m debating what to plant in the (small) back yard and (large) side yard. It’s a corner lot, so the side yard faces the street and is highly visible.

I’m thinking I’ll plant two or three loblolly pines along the side yard. They’re prevalent here and I like that they will grow tall fairly quickly. This is the south side with plenty of sun exposure. Anyone want to talk me out of loblollies?

For the back, I would like one or two deciduous shade trees. East-facing, slightly less sun exposure than the side yard. Preferably something native, relatively fast-growing, and won’t drop a bunch of hard seeds.

Cottonwood? One of the maple varieties? Other suggestions?

Thanks, all.
    Last edited by 30-30; 05-01-2018, 06:50 PM.

Certainly not cottonwoods. They are named that for a reason.pines are messy, needles everywhere. How about chickapun or monterrey oaks. Both grow fast.

Comment

Might look into Yupon Hollies....

Comment

Cottonwood??? Yupon??? You all are killing me. Want a yupon? I'll give you your choice of 17,587,947 I have. Hell, I'll buy your gas and dig it up for you if you'll take more'n one. Like your a/c? Stay away from cottonwood.

Longer leafed oaks seem to grow faster IMO. Loblolly and longleaf are nice pines and will get to size in your lifetime.

Comment

Red Oak

Comment

We went with a Sycamore for similar reasons...fast growing, shade, hearty and resist disease. My son tied a Lego man to one of the branches to grow with it and named him Zachias.

Comment

You'll regret planting pines or cottonwoods.

Chinese Pistache: Shade Tree Superstar For Texas

Highly recommended for many years by horticultural experts at Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Kansas State universities, this native of China possesses a number of special advantages:

Regarded by many knowledgeable horticulturists as one of the most beautiful, pest free and easily maintained shade trees for the Southwest and Gulf Coast regions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pistachearnold.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	24538737

Comment

Ditch the Pines.

Side Yard - Schumard Red Oak and a Bur Oak. Lacebark Elm

Backyard - (Evergreen, even though you said deciduous) Japanese Blueberry Treeform, Savannah Holly.

(Deciduous) Eastern Redbud, Crepe Myrtles

Comment

Elms are awesome trees and grow fairly rapidly, but they do put out a heavy seed crop.

Comment

Cedar elms

Best part is the small leaves dont make a big mess when they drop

Red oak or Chinkapin oak are also good

Comment

Was going to say Chinese pistache as previously mentioned. Very fast growing and fans out nicely.

Comment

Chinese Pistache, Shumard Red Oak. Maybe a Little Gem Magnolia?? No cottonwoods! Roots are horrible, drop limbs, and too big. Bur Oaks are great trees, but get BIG and the acorns are massive. Poplars/maples/sycamores are so-so, at best (actually, poplars suck). Cedar elms are ok, but I see many that seem to get infested with mistletoe.

The Shumard might take a little longer to grow, but it still has a moderate growth rate, and you'll be much happier with it in 5-10 years. Spend an extra couple hundred and start off with a bigger tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                          Ditch the Pines.
                          Agreed. Pines will only grow tall if they are crowed in a stand of pines. Lone pines will branch out instead and become unsightly.

Comment

American Ash are nice and grow fairly fast for a hard wood tree. Japanese Maple are very decorative and are smaller, may work for the side yard. I have no problem with the pines either like you said 'native'. It is your yard just remember that trees grow big.

Comment

I second on the ash trees, green or white ash.

Comment

Working...
                              X