Pack Options / Post Back Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pack Options / Post Back Surgery

About 6 years ago I had my L4/5 fused and I was told that I’d eventually have some future issues with a disc below. I’m trying to train and get ready for a West Texas Aoudad hunt in the fall (Van Horn area). I’ve realized that I just can’t handle a pack to carry water/food plus my rifle and binoculars because of the load it places on my lower back (pack with water/food/etc. is gonna be about 17 pounds) . I was thinking about some type of waste pack to keep the load on my hips and then I can use a rifle sling and bino harness to minimize weight up high on my back. My thought is that I can keep the majority of weight on my hips and have the option to move the rifle around and also carry it some throughout the hikes.

Has anyone done this or have similar experience on how I could get creative?

G.

Most good packs with a good belt are built to cup your hips and keep majority of weight there instead of shoulders/back

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      Most good packs with a good belt are built to cup your hips and keep majority of weight there instead of shoulders/back
      I’ve got a badlands pack that was not cheap and fits well but it still forces me to carry the weight via my shoulders and this puts the load on my lower back.

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
        I’ve got a badlands pack that was not cheap and fits well but it still forces me to carry the weight via my shoulders and this puts the load on my lower back.
        Look at a building frame pack like EXO, Kifaru, Stone Glacier or Mystery Ranch.

No cheap but they are designed to move the weight from shoulder to hips.

Comment

A good solid frame with gun sling/holder will do the job. I've got an Exo, MR, and Horn Hunter FC that are all hard to beat for one reason or another.

Comment

Working...
          X