Need Tree Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
    You'll regret planting pines or cottonwoods.

Chinese Pistache: Shade Tree Superstar For Texas

Highly recommended for many years by horticultural experts at Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Kansas State universities, this native of China possesses a number of special advantages:

Regarded by many knowledgeable horticulturists as one of the most beautiful, pest free and easily maintained shade trees for the Southwest and Gulf Coast regions.

[ATTACH]906658[/ATTACH]

that is a good looking tree. you don't see those colors in texas very much.

Comment

Ash are pretty trees and common in my neighborhood. They are always losing limbs or splitting. I had two in the back that were cut in half by a strong wind a couple years ago. They just don't seem to hold up very well.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
        My wife and I will be closing on our first home in a couple weeks. It’s in Tomball; northwest of Houston.

It’s a newly constructed house, so there are no existing trees and only two planted live oaks in the front yard. They’re 8-10ft tall. I’m debating what to plant in the (small) back yard and (large) side yard. It’s a corner lot, so the side yard faces the street and is highly visible.

I’m thinking I’ll plant two or three loblolly pines along the side yard. They’re prevalent here and I like that they will grow tall fairly quickly. This is the south side with plenty of sun exposure. Anyone want to talk me out of loblollies?

For the back, I would like one or two deciduous shade trees. East-facing, slightly less sun exposure than the side yard. Preferably something native, relatively fast-growing, and won’t drop a bunch of hard seeds.

Cottonwood? One of the maple varieties? Other suggestions?

Thanks, all.
        Check with your HOA. The bylaws tell you what is allowed. My neighbors purchased and planted two 50 gallon trees only to find out they are not allowed. Had to take em down.

Comment

Ornamental pear

Comment

Check out water oaks or just stick with the live oaks. And the secret is organic palm tree fertilizer. Problem with the ornamental pear although they grow really fast is they have extremely soft wood and dont live too long.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
              Ornamental pear
              The only thing worse than this would be a Hackberry

Comment

Highly recommended for many years by horticultural experts at Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Kansas State universities, this native of China possesses a number of special advantages:

Regarded by many knowledgeable horticulturists as one of the most beautiful, pest free and easily maintained shade trees for the Southwest and Gulf Coast regions.

[ATTACH]906658[/ATTACH]
                I will third fourth and fifth this motion every day of the week and twice on Sunday. it is not a giant tree and other than minimal pruning to shape, this tree is a HOmeRun, heck maybe even a grand slam!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  Check with your HOA. The bylaws tell you what is allowed. My neighbors purchased and planted two 50 gallon trees only to find out they are not allowed. Had to take em down.
                  What type of tree?

Comment

Cottonwood trees?

Comment

Whatever tree you decide you like, look up the root structure, how they are with water, and where your plumbing lines are (water and sanitary). We had two willows at our old house that the previous owner had put in. they were awesome for shade, but one was about 15 foot off the back corner of the house and the other was about a foot away from the main water line and sanitary. Willows are notorious for getting into water lines. Our neighbor had to pour root killer in her upstairs toilet twice before we cut the things down.

Comment

[ATTACH]906658[/ATTACH]
                        I highly recommend the Pistache also.

Comment

How about the state tree of Texas pecans for the back yard. They grow fast and you get plenty of tasty nuts from them. They dont have roots that get everywhere in your yard either.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                            How about the state tree of Texas pecans for the back yard. They grow fast and you get plenty of tasty nuts from them. They dont have roots that get everywhere in your yard either.
                            I love pecan trees. They're only drawback is they're messy. They look nice, though.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                              My wife and I will be closing on our first home in a couple weeks. It’s in Tomball; northwest of Houston.

It’s a newly constructed house, so there are no existing trees and only two planted live oaks in the front yard. They’re 8-10ft tall. I’m debating what to plant in the (small) back yard and (large) side yard. It’s a corner lot, so the side yard faces the street and is highly visible.

I’m thinking I’ll plant two or three loblolly pines along the side yard. They’re prevalent here and I like that they will grow tall fairly quickly. This is the south side with plenty of sun exposure. Anyone want to talk me out of loblollies?

For the back, I would like one or two deciduous shade trees. East-facing, slightly less sun exposure than the side yard. Preferably something native, relatively fast-growing, and won’t drop a bunch of hard seeds.

Cottonwood? One of the maple varieties? Other suggestions?

Thanks, all.
                              Pines are beautiful trees that can give you a taller canopy with a straight bole. To achieve that look you must prune for canopy height as they will remain short and squatty without it. No big deal just cut the lower limbs every year or two. They are drought resistant, native and if healthy very pest resistant. Beetles are famous but they are only able to infest stressed trees. If you want to be really neat and a little different go for Longleaf pines. Their needles are excellent mulch and are commercially sold for that purpose.

Bald Cypress trees are excellent trees with beautiful fall color and highly tolerant of lawn agriculture (compressed soils, high saturation, etc).

Somebody brought up white and green ash trees which are both attractive healthy trees (down here anyway we haven't received the emerald borer yet thank God).

Arizona ash and ornamental (Bradford) pear are the weakest wood trees I have ever seen. Extremely fast growing but short lived. Useful lifespan usually less than 15 years.

I despise all non-natives (except crepe myrtles). Never a good idea.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I knew this would be an involved decision... This has certainly helped.

Again, goals are native, fast-growing, and no/minimal hard seeds.

Still thinking loblolly pine. New contenders are:
                                Red maple
                                Bald cypress
                                Green ash
                                American or cedar elm
                                Chinese pistache (not native, but y’all are good salesmen!)

Keep the suggestions coming, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X