DIY Outdoor Fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Outdoor Fireplace

Has anyone built their own outdoor fireplace? We're looking to add on to our patio and do ours, but really don't know which way is better go? I've seen videos of some that were framed up with wood, then wrapped with concrete board; some constructed with cinder blocks then wrapped in brick or stone; and some just straight brick?

Any experience or pictures would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

No one??

Comment

It's gas with faux logs but maybe it'd give you some ideas.

Comment

I am certainly no mason but consider myself a diy'r and built a outdoor fireplace on a whim several years ago. Used cmu blocks as a base along with fire brick and flagstone and lots of sweat.

Comment

That’s nice!

Originally posted by sendit View Post
          I am certainly no mason but consider myself a diy'r and built a outdoor fireplace on a whim several years ago. Used cmu blocks as a base along with fire brick and flagstone and lots of sweat.

Comment

Thanks bonehead.

I made a video using stills that show the progress building it. Again I am no mason.

Here's the link

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
            I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

I built one at my old house. I used fire brick / thermal mortar and custom built the firebox. Limestoned the exterior. If you are really serious I could dig up some old pics of the process. You need to make sure to get all your angles and dimensions correct so it draws properly. I used a metal insert firebox on the outdoor fireplace at the house I just built. Much easier but doesn’t look as nice.

Comment

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
                I built one at my old house. I used fire brick / thermal mortar and custom built the firebox. Limestoned the exterior. If you are really serious I could dig up some old pics of the process. You need to make sure to get all your angles and dimensions correct so it draws properly. I used a metal insert firebox on the outdoor fireplace at the house I just built. Much easier but doesn’t look as nice.
                Id like to see some pictures!

Comment

We had this one built a couple of years ago. It's wood framed and clad in cement board. The outer is limestone and the fireplaces is lined with fire brick.

It originally had firewood grottos on each side, but I recently built rough cedar cabinet doors and installed gas logs.

It gets a lot of use.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Built this one last year. Used the stone age fireplace kit. Pretty simple to put together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That turned out nice, Weminuche. Good job!

Comment

This is what I have been trying to find/figure out. All of the interior angles to allow the smoke to draw properly up the flue. If you can find those pictures I'd love to see them.

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post

Comment

That turned out good!

Originally posted by weminuche View Post
                          Built this one last year. Used the stone age fireplace kit. Pretty simple to put together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let me just say that I know 2 people who will never be the same after building them (backs /fingers/etc.)? Working with stone is no joke IMO

Comment

Can you provide details on cost and where you purchased the fireplace kit?

Comment

Working...
                              X