No announcement yet.

Time To Get Serious About CWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook well done, drink whiskey every day and double the dose when eating wildlife!

Seriously, not doubting those who have read and researched this...it's a topic that will produce more and more scrutiny in the future. Problem...who or what source can you trust with data? I see this as potential added propaganda for the Anti-Hunter organizations as well??

Our family will keep on the hunt.....

Comment

Sounds like the climate change chicken little theory.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        Someone will be along shortly to say false alarm.
        Somebody will mostly likely say show us where it has eliminated a population segment, and everyone will look around and then go on to another thread

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
          CWD has been being studied ever since researchers found sick deer at the Foothills Wildlife Research Station in the late 60,s. WAY more than 20 years.
          Where is that info on the NM white sands deer release that explains CWD there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleu View Post
            I'm interested in this part. Can you point me to where you found that?
            Yeah, it was found in Colorado in 1967. It wasn't found in Texas, in WILD mule deer, until 2011. Wasn't found in a deer pen in Texas until 2015. Maybe you experts can explain how a mule deer in far west Texas spread CWD to a pen deer near Tarpley over a 4 year time period??

Comment

You can't. You don't find things like that until you look for it. The harder you look for it the more likely you are to find it. Unlike EHD. You find them dead all over the place when it hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                Yeah, it was found in Colorado in 1967. It wasn't found in Texas, in WILD mule deer, until 2011. Wasn't found in a deer pen in Texas until 2015. Maybe you experts can explain how a mule deer in far west Texas spread CWD to a pen deer near Tarpley over a 4 year time period??

You said it had been in the wild longer than it had been in pens. Then you referenced a 1967 case...that was in a pen. Where’s the “wild” case that predates that? I can’t find one before ‘81. I’m asking because I’m interested.

I never claimed to be an expert. Nor did I blame a west Texas mule deer for infecting a pen deer in Tarpley.

There are currently 33 positives in TX. 32 of which are contributed to pens or pen releases. One is free range...in Bandera county. Where’s Tarpley again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DACA is for the children!!!

save the children!!

whoops, I mean, we must protect our deer from CWD! no matter what it takes!

kind of odd how the focus is on high fence breeding operations where deer are controlled, and not on the millions of acres of low fence where deer can roam where ever they choose. haven't figured that one out yet.
                  Last edited by kyle1974; 02-01-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Time To Get Serious About CWD

It’s a prion, so it’s probably been on the planet for longer than can be imagined. Like any disease it is constantly migrating due to a variety of factors. Prions are very different than viruses in how they adapt and spread. Dr Deer had done a fair amount of talking about this and basically says the panicked overreaction is 100x worse than the disease itself. I think contraction to death is like 3 years in some cases. All in all common sense goes a long ways, and we all know how short of supply that is in.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                      It’s a prion, so it’s probably been on the planet for longer than can be imagined. Like any disease it is constantly migrating due to a variety of factors. Prions are very different than viruses in how they adapt and spread. Dr Deer had done a fair amount of talking about this and basically says the panicked overreaction is 100x worse than the disease itself. I think contraction to death is like 3 years in some cases. All in all common sense goes a long ways, and we all know how short of supply that is in.
                      I was listening to Grant Woods talking about the difference between CWD and EHD and in the discussion he mentioned Prion. I had never heard of that before, I thought all along it was a virus.

Maybe you or someone here can state what is the difference. Just for discussion sake.

Comment

I’ll try to make this light reading. Proteins are amino acid chains and they fold in a specific ways to form very specific shapes/structures. A prion is an “infective” protein that is folded incorrectly. When it bumps into certain other proteins it causes them to unfold also. Those unfolded proteins then do the same. As they are proteins they have no DNA or RNA aka genetic code. They’re dead simple, pun intended. But due to their mechanism they don’t adapt. A virus adapts in some cases very fast. A good virus is highly infective but doesn’t kill its host. Ebola is a good example. Early on you would rather be nuked that catch it, but it quickly (decades) gotten substantially less lethal. Prions don’t really have that route as they don’t have genetic material to mingle with other viruses or just DNA. They are mother nature’s supreme chain reaction.

If someone gets super technical they can complain about my description above, but I’m trying to make it understandable. Granted my molecular and cellular biology degree gets older with every passing day

Comment

Originally posted by Bleu View Post
                          You said it had been in the wild longer than it had been in pens. Then you referenced a 1967 case...that was in a pen. Where’s the “wild” case that predates that? I can’t find one before ‘81. I’m asking because I’m interested.

I never claimed to be an expert. Nor did I blame a west Texas mule deer for infecting a pen deer in Tarpley.

There are currently 33 positives in TX. 32 of which are contributed to pens or pen releases. One is free range...in Bandera county. Where’s Tarpley again?

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                          anyone who thinks that CWD has been around for thousands of years needs to read up on the Foothills Wildlife Research Station and the studies done there on scabbie infected sheep and the studies done in the same pens on mule deer fawns in the mid 60's. In the early years of CWD in the 70's and 80's every instance of CWD found in the US could be backtraced to Ft Collins and the research station.
                          Has anyone looked at the possibility that placing mule deer fawns in the infected sheep scrapie pen was intentional to force the cross over to Cervids (Deer, elk, etc.) So it could be used to control Cervids populations in our national parks, and not have to use hunters? They went to a lot more trouble and expense to bring in the Canadian wolves.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post

I hope Kroll is right. I would like to ask him how he could preach age structure for so many years, then be flippant about a communicable disease that kills everything that gets it within 2-3 years. I appreciate and don’t discredit his knowledge of deer, but i don’t know that anyone has enough CWD research to roll their eyes at those who worry.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              The sky is not falling.
                              I live and hunt in a CWD endemic area. Our herds are doing fine. Not one person has ever been diagnosed with CWD, variant CJD is the human form, in our state. We manage a ranch that literally borders the WG&F facility where it was brought to study in the 60's. Yes elk and deer are affected , not one domestic animal, cattle etc has ever been diagnosed with CWD. The only way that CWD was infected in primates was through direct injection into their brain. We have lived with it for years, yes you will see some infected animals, but my thought is it has been around forever just lately recognized and studied. I have no doubt we have consumed CWD meat but as of yet no issues. Are area is ground zero for Wyoming, where it was brought to study and has been found to be endemic to our herds. Elk and deer numbers are not tanking, elk are at all time highs right now for population numbers.
                              Would I eat a noticeably sick animal , no way, but I also don't worry about eating any other animal I harvest.
                              We have had it for years living in our environment, no- ZERO- human cases of CWD or variant CJD.
                              If you want to feed brain or spinal matter to your cattle then yes you may need to worry, but to date the research showing a cross over via just eating CWD infected animals does not exist. The primate study has its flaws, look it up and read it.
                              Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Yes they are very different. Elk and mule deer use wintering areas that congregate deer and elk. Do your whitetails yard up for winter, probably not. Elk will winter in very large herds of thousands of animals. Don't you think that would be a CWD bomb waiting to happen. Our wintering areas are historically used every year for generations of herds, no massive die off yet due to CWD. Our largest loss of animals is usually due to harsh winter conditions and animals not having access to forage due to hard crusted snow. Mule deer have used the same wintering areas for generations also, no massive die off due to CWD.
                              What is the different with whitetail deer, the high fence ? Any time animals are congregated due to natural or unnatural circumstances there will be disease and population issues. Texas P&W is just starting to study this disease ,Wyoming has been studying it for decades. Colorado tried the kill every deer in an CWD area, it makes no difference, CWD prions stay in the environment.
                              Just think , maybe it's been here all along and just now recognized. Where are all the human positives?
                              Thank you for your first hand experience and real life knowledge and input.

Comment

Good podcast about CWD Joe Rogan just did with the same guys from the meateater podcast
                                IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                                I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Working...
                                X