Fly fishing Galveston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly fishing Galveston

Will be staying on the seawall Aug 8-10 and would like to do some fly fishing one morning for trout or reds or just anything. Any suggestions where I should try, and/or a guide that would not break the bank, but put me on a few fish?

BTW I am a rookie at FF and have 5 weight if that guides your advice. I would appreciate any suggestions short of "stay home" (i can always drink and eat seafood)

Comment

watching this one. Ive done a lot of fly fishing but never anything in salt water. thanks for the thread.

Comment

I'd stay Bay side. You can try San Louis Pass ( but be careful...undertow). This being said, I did see a guy in the surf years ago catching trout with a fly rig...ticked me off because I was using live shrimp under a popping cork!

Keys are early...light wind...clear water (fingers crossed)

Comment

Surf would be good depending on water and wind. If it's green you'll have good shots and pomps, trout and ladyfish. I don't like SLP, dangerous, trashy and too many people. The marsh drains behind Point Weste usually has some good reds. But if the water isn't good for the surf my first choice would be Rollover bay.

Comment

Not sure where to point you at, but I hear Thomas Barlow knows west bay, so I am sure you could do some sight casting for reds with him.

Might be worth calling him.

Comment

Thanks. Keep the advice coming. The more ideas, the better the chance of finding a gem. Thanks to all

Comment

I haven't had a lot of success with it, but I've just started. If you're driving, you might want to stop by Fishing Tackle Unlimited on I-45 & Fuqua for pattern suggestions. I've heard the fly guy ties a "redfish crack" that is unbelievable.

Seems like best luck is on the bayside, or across SLP in Bastrop Bay. You should be able to wade most of those, but watch out for the current at the pass. Wouldn't recommend wading there.

The seaweed is so bad in Galveston there's not much point in fishing off the beach unless you go to one of the fishing piers or have a boat/kayak.

Comment

I would cross the bridge at SLP and fish bayside....Drive to the barrier posts and walk a short ways.... We have wade fished here with popping corks and shrimp.... It is usually calmer here....

Comment

Good crabbing spots for kids there? How far after the bridge ? Thanx!

Comment

Good luck! Caught my first carp on a flyrod this week while sight casting. You won't be able to sight cast to trout but maybe reds. Good luck and hope you catch a couple. Keep us posted on fly patterns if you do hook up.

Comment

Walk the north jetty with some shrimp and crab imitations, surely you can dupe some sheepshead. Try some deceivers and clousers too!

Comment

I would consider trying to find some lights you can fish at night or very early morning. Schoolie trout are a blast on the fly and a five weight will be fine. Small clousers in white or white/chartreuse should work as well as small shrimp and glass minnow patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                            I would consider trying to find some lights you can fish at night or very early morning. Schoolie trout are a blast on the fly and a five weight will be fine. Small clousers in white or white/chartreuse should work as well as small shrimp and glass minnow patterns.
                            Great idea Doc. I have do this with live shrimp and slayed the 11" ers. This would be a blast with my, TF which happens to be a 5 weight, even if I never land a keeper

Thanks.

Comment

I don't know galveston, but we fish the lights a bunch in corpus and have caught some serious trout! up to 22" off the lights, but mostly around 13-14" and normally off a backwards running shrimp I tie.
                              For Reds I'd try my luck sight casting with deceivers, crab patterns, and red and gold poppers.
                              I cant tell you where as I've never fished galveston, but just some suggestions of what I've seen in corpus

Good Luck brotha!

Comment

Working...
                              X