No announcement yet.

Chili recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mods, we need to get this thread moved to the recipe section so I'll be able to find them when I cook another pot of chili. They sound good. Thanks for sharing guys.

Comment

You put beans in chili it becomes stew.

Comment

I've got my own little *******ized version of the Texas Red simmering in the dutch oven as we speak! The cold weather this week has had me hankerin for a hot bowl of chili, so I decided to make a pot today.

I kind of combined some of Rudey's technique with Alton Brown's based on availability of ingredients. I didn't have any venison thawed (poor foresight), so I used a pound of course ground beef, a pound of pork sausage, and roughly a pound of leftover hamburger venison steak that I cooked on Thursday night (I'm not a fan of cubed meat in chili). I also threw in some diced up bacon while i was browning the meat.

The intriguing part of Alton Brown's technique is that he uses a homeade chili powder. I cut up dried arbol, ancho and cascabel chiles and roasted them with cumin seed on my griddle, and then combined that with garlic powder, dried oregeno and some paprika and ground it into a fine powder. MUCH more flavorful than store bought!

Somehow I managed to not have a beer handy (I've since procured plenty for consumption with the chili), so for deglazing the pan I used to brown the meat, I just used beef broth and the garlic chicken broth that is in Rudey's recipe, and then later adjusted the liquid with some V8 juice and about half a bottle of Fat Tire. Another interesting part of the Good Eat's recipe is that rather than cutting up vegetables, he simply uses a 16 oz jar of picante sauce (I used Pace Hot), and instead of a traditional thickener like masa flour, he called for three handfuls of crushed up White Corn Chips!

I used a couple of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and a few seranos per Rudey's recipe. I also used the Sazon GOYA Con Culantro y achiote, ground cumin, white pepper and a touch of brown sugar. Because I'm feeding up to seven girls, I tried not to make it excessively hot, and therefore went light on the cayenne and peppers.

Taste test samples indicate that it should make for a great meal as the sun goes down and the temperature cools. The ambiance of a burning woodpile and a few Fat Tires should make for a great evening!

Michael
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Sounds good!

Comment

Chili...

I use the three alarm packets for the spices. However I use fresh tomato juice added in, not much just blend up a couple of medium sized ones, and add them in while cooking. Another thing is I DO NOT add beef fat to elk or deer meat when preparing (grinding) it for chili instead use olive oil when you start to brown the meat and it will flavor it as well as keep the meat very moist. Olive oil is healthy as it breaks down in your system unlike other oils, besides why throw in an old cow to your tasty deer or elk meat, or any other game for that matter...

Comment

Working...
            X