Roofer involvement in hail damage claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roofer involvement in hail damage claim

I have a question about a roofing companies involvement in a hail damage claim. We had a representative from a large reputable roofing company come to our door asking if we would like for him to take a look at our roof since they had had several successful claims for hail damage in our neighborhood. I told him I knew we had minimal hail damage but had been meaning to have a roofer out to give a bid on a few small non storm related issues with the roof (raised decking in a couple of places and replacing vent caps). He looked at the roof and took a bunch of pictures of storm damage to the roof and gutters and wanted to make a claim. He actually wanted me to sign a contract with his company and wanted to be there when the adjuster came out to “represent” me.

I refused to sign a contract and said I would decide on making the claim after seeing their bid, and rereading my policy but they don’t want to give me a bid...said they work off of the adjusters bid. I don’t want to give up any insurance money coming to me but this just seems backwards. It seems to me like I would get bids independent of the insurance adjustment and then make a claim myself. Although Having a roofer on hand to argue my case does seem like it could be beneficial.

Anyone deal with this before and have any input?

Thanks, Jason

Their bill will be whatever your insurance covers, no pocket money will be left.

Comment

Just have your agent send an adjuster.
      It wont ding you or cost anything

Comment

This seems to be common practice these days, because I've experienced the same thing along with several others I know of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Insurance companies pay a lot when it comes to a roof. The difference could be as much as 50% more.
          If he would over your deductible it would be worth it if you do need a new roof.
          Depending on what hat deductible is, most companies that want the work can absorb that cost, since the insurance is paying the higher costs.

Comment

The insurance companies have rules on what they will allow a claim on. My company said 10 impacts on a 10x10 square on three slopes.

If you don’t have a roofing company present I’m sure the insurance adjuster will be much more careful in inspecting. I assume they don’t want to fight with the roofing company so they are more likely to approve.

To have this representation present the roofer wants you to sign so he doesn’t drive to your house, hang out an hour and not get paid.

Comment

Also, be careful with “We’ll cover your deductible”. That just means your insurance will offer to cover some extras like window screens, trim pieces etc. and they won’t do the work to “cover the deductible”.

Comment

Contingency based agreement. If I meet the adjuster on your behalf and we are able to agree on damages then I get the job. Seems fair.
                The insurance numbers are not a secret.
                I’ve been an adjuster and have roofed for over 20 years. Not in this to pay someone else’s late bills or vacation fund either.

Comment

Originally posted by ipanic2 View Post
                  Their bill will be whatever your insurance covers, no pocket money will be left.
                  Pocket money?

Comment

Just to clarify I am not looking to get any leftover money or get my deductible covered by anyone. It just seemed shady to me to refuse to give me a bid. It seemed to me like I would get a couple of bids prior to calling insurance company. My out of pocket would be the difference in the bid I choose and what insurance covered. I guess that is t how it is done?

Sounds to me like maybe contractors like to try to stick it to the insurance company...is that what is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                      Just to clarify I am not looking to get any leftover money or get my deductible covered by anyone. It just seemed shady to me to refuse to give me a bid. It seemed to me like I would get a couple of bids prior to calling insurance company. My out of pocket would be the difference in the bid I choose and what insurance covered. I guess that is t how it is done?

Sounds to me like maybe contractors like to try to stick it to the insurance company...is that what is going on?

There are insurance bids and there are cash bids....knowing the insurance companies pay more...hence the difference.

Get a bid saying you're paying out of pocket, and then filing an insurance claim...people pocket the difference

Comment

Some snakey people in the roofing business. No way I'd sign a contract before having an adjuster come out. And I wouldn't do business with one that does cold calling.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Some snakey people in the roofing business. No way I'd sign a contract before having an adjuster come out. And I wouldn't do business with one that does cold calling.
                          Guys are just trying to make a living....some quality roofers do cold calling. Lots of guys cant afford the advertising like big companies can.

I am sure there are some shady ones also.....do your due diligence

Comment

don’t pay any money until the job is complete

Comment

I got a bid from a local roofer after our last hail storm. He wanted to 'handle' the claim. I told him I would take care of all that and he would get the job if the insurance co approved the claim. The roofer came out when the adjuster did on my behalf. He was able to push for some extra things from the insurance co and the insurance co denied a couple of small nickel and dime items as well. We all came to an agreement of what I deemed fair and acceptable and I gave the roofer the job. Just be sure everyone knows YOU are in charge

Comment

Working...
                              X