What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

So I’m having some issues at my job and I wanted some opinions. First to clarify I work in a production based job so I don’t know how to feel about the situation. Part of me is burning mad and wants punch the lights out of my vp and walk out (no I wouldn’t actually punch him)and the other part of me wants to hang on and do well as I love my coworkers as we have been a team for 3 years and we do a great job together. At the beginning of the month I had a vacation planned that I had PTO for that was approved by management. I took two weeks to chase antelope In Wyoming. I took a booner home on public land that I will never top and had had a blast with my buddies doing it. I came back on the 15th of this month. I had been back 8 days and closed 4 deals, which is great for the current market. Yesterday I was pulled into the office for my production and written up. When I asked why am I being written up I was told that it doesn’t matter if I took time off I need to be at x amount of deals by a certain point in the month. I have done more production in 8 days than some have done in 26. My VP is from California and is open about his no stance on hunting. I never asked but he’s spouted off about it before. He knows where and why I went. I am the only person who was given a written warning and an ultimatum to meet or I will be terminated. The goal they set for me is unobtainable given the time frame they want it done and I have told them this and was told tough cookies. I have always been a top producer and helped carry my site in a down market. This guy also replaced the VP I originally came to work for whom I respect a great deal. When they brought in this guy he was supposed to be the Phil Jackson of our industry. I have not seen him improve anything that the other management team accomplished, actually it has had a negative affect and we have been making less since. They decreased our comp plan when he came in as well. I’m pretty upset about it as I feel like I’m being forced out of a place I love because a dingle berry from California doesn’t like hunting. Im normally first in the office and one of if not the last person in the building. I basically feel like I cannot take time off either now and if I do I cannot say what it is for. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Give them your 2 cents and leave in a blaze of glory or try to accomplish the impossible goal they have set for me and keep quiet until the inevitable happens. At least if I’m fired I can obtain unemployment until I find a new gig. I actually want to change careers and this may be gods way of telling me it’s time. I talked about it with the wife and we are fine financially if I leave so I’m not to concerned about money as we have plenty in savings to float us at least a year or more. I feel like if I quit I would be letting my wife down even though she said to heck with them and go out blazing lol I love that woman. What would you do? And yes I do have pics of the antelope but can’t load from my phone. I’ll need to be at a desktop. I have been wanting to do a write up but haven’t had time. Anyway sorry for the rant but any advice would be appreciated. I’m pretty sure I know what to do but wanted some opinions if anyone has ever been in the same spot. Thanks again for listening.

I would continue to work while I was looking for another job.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
      Bingo

Comment

Never leave a paying job till you have something else to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
          So I’m having some issues at my job and I wanted some opinions. First to clarify I work in a production based job so I don’t know how to feel about the situation. Part of me is burning mad and wants punch the lights out of my vp and walk out (no I wouldn’t actually punch him)and the other part of me wants to hang on and do well as I love my coworkers as we have been a team for 3 years and we do a great job together. At the beginning of the month I had a vacation planned that I had PTO for that was approved by management. I took two weeks to chase antelope In Wyoming. I took a booner home on public land that I will never top and had had a blast with my buddies doing it. I came back on the 15th of this month. I had been back 8 days and closed 4 deals, which is great for the current market. Yesterday I was pulled into the office for my production and written up. When I asked why am I being written up I was told that it doesn’t matter if I took time off I need to be at x amount of deals by a certain point in the month. I have done more production in 8 days than some have done in 26. My VP is from California and is open about his no stance on hunting. I never asked but he’s spouted off about it before. He knows where and why I went. I am the only person who was given a written warning and an ultimatum to meet or I will be terminated. The goal they set for me is unobtainable given the time frame they want it done and I have told them this and was told tough cookies. I have always been a top producer and helped carry my site in a down market. This guy also replaced the VP I originally came to work for whom I respect a great deal. When they brought in this guy he was supposed to be the Phil Jackson of our industry. I have not seen him improve anything that the other management team accomplished, actually it has had a negative affect and we have been making less since. They decreased our comp plan when he came in as well. I’m pretty upset about it as I feel like I’m being forced out of a place I love because a dingle berry from California doesn’t like hunting. Im normally first in the office and one of if not the last person in the building. I basically feel like I cannot take time off either now and if I do I cannot say what it is for. If you were in my shoes what would you do? Give them your 2 cents and leave in a blaze of glory or try to accomplish the impossible goal they have set for me and keep quiet until the inevitable happens. At least if I’m fired I can obtain unemployment until I find a new gig. I actually want to change careers and this may be gods way of telling me it’s time. I talked about it with the wife and we are fine financially if I leave so I’m not to concerned about money as we have plenty in savings to float us at least a year or more. I feel like if I quit I would be letting my wife down even though she said to heck with them and go out blazing lol I love that woman. What would you do? And yes I do have pics of the antelope but can’t load from my phone. I’ll need to be at a desktop. I have been wanting to do a write up but haven’t had time. Anyway sorry for the rant but any advice would be appreciated. I’m pretty sure I know what to do but wanted some opinions if anyone has ever been in the same spot. Thanks again for listening.
          Reach out to your previous VP (^^^that guy in BOLD). If he's landed on his feet he can probably get you a spot at his new gig.

Don't quit. Ride it out while aggressively looking for a new opportunity. IMO, you look more desirable if you are currently employed.

Comment

Bingo x2

Comment

this

Comment

For some reason I got this old Johnny Paycheck song stuck in my head.

Comment

I’d stay at work but look for other opportunities. If they fire you you’ll have a head start on another job search. If they don’t you can keep your job . . . While still looking for something else. When you leave make sure you have a great month beforehand. That way you can tell your VP’s boss they were losing a top producer specifically because the VP let his political feelings hinder the business. That he couldn’t put the good of the company before his personal, completely unreasonable, feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh and be sure to compose a personal letter to the real HMFIC of the company explaining your reasons for moving on. Otherwise it may never be known.

Comment

Dont sign the "write up". Tell them you disagree with their assessment of your performance and refuse to sign it. Keep working but start looking for another job in case things get worse.

Comment

wisdom right there

Comment

I'd have my resume updated and actively be searching for a new gig.

Comment

Stick it out and put the ball in his court.

Comment

Get a new job. Life is too short to put up with idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X