Chance to lease neighbors property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chance to lease neighbors property

so my neighbor has 212 acres of which 60 is solid woods with a pond. My land borders his property on two sides. All the deer on my land come from his woods. So I asked him about possibly leasing his property for deer hunting. He said he is open to that, make him an offer. I have no idea what to offer him. Like I said most of his land is pasture that is leased by another guy, whom I know, for cattle. Any ideas on what to offer him? Should I just lease the wooded acres and not include the pasture acres?

Also since the season is half over should I discount this year?

Thanks for the help!

All depends. Need to ask him if he's good with any other hunters on his place or just you.

Then what can you hunt? Deer, hogs, dove, duck......

Start very low IMO and just say the open pasture isn't worth much, if anything but you will pay more than the going rate per acre for the woods.

Season just started BTW Offer him what it's worth to you.

Comment

Are you actually going to hunt it or are you just going to let it sit to ensure no one else shoots the deer you are hunting? How big are the deer?

For a full year I would offer $10/acre. Since the season is underway maybe offer 1/2 that this year and pay the full price next year. Depends on how much you like controlling your herd. Doesn't sound like he was going to lease it anyways but he might now that you brought the issue up. Just my random thoughts.

Comment

May very well **** off the cattle man too FYI, need to know what the agreement is between him and the landowner. Offer $500 a year and see if he bites, that's where I'd start anyway.

Comment

Now that he's open to leasing the hunting I'd pay him whatever it took before he offers it up to someone else!

Comment

There is something to be said about having a leasenyou can walk to. I’d start at $1500.

Comment

If he’s not hunting and no one else is, I’d just ask permission?

Comment

I'd definitely lease the whole pasture for sure. Price? Just make it fair and do NOT low ball him. Could ruin a good neighborly relationship.

Comment

In alba? $10 acre is fair

Comment

yea and if you can duck hunt it would be well worth 10 an acre

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bigt338 View Post
                        so my neighbor has 212 acres of which 60 is solid woods with a pond. My land borders his property on two sides. All the deer on my land come from his woods. So I asked him about possibly leasing his property for deer hunting. He said he is open to that, make him an offer. I have no idea what to offer him. Like I said most of his land is pasture that is leased by another guy, whom I know, for cattle. Any ideas on what to offer him? Should I just lease the wooded acres and not include the pasture acres?

Also since the season is half over should I discount this year?

Thanks for the help!
                        $5 per acre for the 60 only

Comment

I would not lowball him either -offer what is fair for the area. Most likely getting the hunting rights is more important to you than the money is to him

Comment

Why do you need to get on his place, if the deer come onto your property?
                            I would spend the extra money on protein.

Comment

Is it leased to hunters now?

Comment

Working...
                              X