First Moose Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Moose Down

I just got back to Texas after spending the past 10 days in Canada on a moose hunt.

First few days were brutally hot, with no game moving and having only seen a few cows.

Wednesday evening, temperatures dropped and game everywhere. Thursday morning I had wind switch directions on a bull when I was at 100yds who would have easily made Pope and young bull (solid chance at making B&C). Friday morning saw some huge bulls but in way too thick of timber to get a shot.

Later in morning, I saw a few nice bulls in a meadow near a pond. I jumped into a stream in about thigh high water and made up a few hundred yards of distance. Thereafter, I belly crawled through y’all/wet/cold grass to 75yds. At that point, got on my knees, made one last range check, came to full draw, and let the arrow fling on a bull quartering away. Arrow slid in right behind near shoulder, tore through heart, and passed through opposite shoulder. Less than 50feet later, I had my first moose on ground.

He wasn’t a monster, but I’m tickled pink. No one else in area was able to harvest any animals.

I will say, I have new found respect for moose. Not being the rut, putting a spot and stalk on them is really difficult. Almost as frustrating as trying to spot and stalk a pronghorn.

I’ve now taken most of the major North American game animals with a bow. It’s time to start focusing on a the sheep species and a mountain goat...

For gear, I was shooting a PSE Xpedite at 70lbs w/28.5in draw. I was shooting Black Eagle Outlaw arrow coupled with a Iron Will Outfitter 100g vented broadhead.

Here are a few pictures:

Last edited by ganngus; 09-04-2018, 11:50 AM.

Heck yeah!!!! Congratulations

Comment

Now those are some quarters!! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Big congrats!!

Comment

Awesome congrats!!

I can’t wait til my 2019 Alaska moose trip, beyond excited.

Comment

I see you paid attention to those signs and were ON the lookout for Moose.
              Great job and Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats on the accomplishment. Sounds like a great trip

Comment

Heck yeah! Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

well done. Starting to think about planning my moose hunt. Who did you go with?

Comment

Congrats!! That’s a tough hunt.

Comment

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of meat!!! Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats! Love the wade-stalk!

Comment

Working...
                              X