Hog Jerky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Jerky?

I was wondering if anyone on here knows whether or not it would be unsafe to make jerky out of hog meat. I've heard that raw hog meat can carry Salmonella. Does that mean jerky's not an option?

I have tried some that was given to me by a long time hog hunter who runs dogs. Best stuff I have ever had. He would put it in one of those 'guns' and shoot it out onto his dehydrator.

Comment

I was told by a guy who sells jerky at the hunting shows that you should freeze the meat first to kill any potential bacteria. Don't know if that is a bunch of bull or not. My son makes a lot of hog jerky every year and it always turns out great.

Ed

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

I personally would stay away from any hog meat unless it was fully cooked. Even domestic pigs.

Swine carry several parisites that can be harmful or fatal to humans. This is due to the fact that they are omniverous and often times will eat carrion.

You really don't want to get a tapeworm, tricanosis, or the cists that are cased by a veriety of parisites that inhabit the body of animals that eat meat. Cook it well before consumption!!!!!!!!!!!

FREEZING WILL NOT KILL THE PARASITES!!!

Comment

It should be interesting to try. Never heard of pork jerky.

Trichanosis is no longer carried in domestic swine (my FIL is a swine farmer, and has meetings with the TAHC).

I would definitely be more leery of using feral swine than domestic pork.
            With sufficient salt and smoking domestic pork should be safe to make jerky from.

Comment

yes, I thiknk the ole hog hunter that made it like crazy, froze the meat before making the jerky.

You wouldn't have known it was pig meat until he said something.

Comment

Isn't a dry cured ham essentially hog jerky? Dry cured may be the wrong term - I mean the hams that are cured and put in a burlap-like material and can be left out for months (or longer?).

Dave S

Comment

I make it all the time. Still alive. Kids devour it.

Comment

I dont know about freezing to kill germs but I freeze meat before i cut it up (not all the way though) it makes it easier to cut and handle

Comment

I don't know, send samples. I will report my findings.

Comment

Made about 200 lbs. of hog jerky over the past year and a half. Some was frozen some wasn't. If you use sodium nitrate it will kill almost anything in the meat. I have given many people hog jerky and they swore it was beef. Great stuff.

Comment

my dad makes it all the time. BEST STUFFF EVER.

Comment

I know some hogs in ok were tested and found to have brucelosis which humans can get, it is easly killed w. cooking , but you need to wear glove when cleaning pigs and handling the meat. Trichnosis is not a cocern any more.

Comment

yepper, in fact we just took some off of the smoker last week!! we soak (submerge) ours in a saltpeter brine cure solution for 48 hours before peppering and putting in the smoker!! But we don't do our jerky like most, we smoke the whole muscle first and then cut into slices when ready to eat. It (the hog jerky) is the best jerky I've ever eaten. It's really easy to make also!!

Comment

Working...
                              X