need plans for a winch up feeder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need plans for a winch up feeder!

i am settin up a new feeder in mason and wanted it to be a big one.....its gonna be two 50 gallon barrels on top of each other so about 600 lbs of cron?.. i think....gonna have an all seasons spinner and all that on there... i just need plans for somethin strong enough thatisntgonna cost 8 million dollars... and looks good.. any help?

Howard made one. Be careful, it attracts lightning

Comment

Winch Up Feeder

Here is one that you could probably use as a starting point. I built this to be able to handle the weight of two barrels. It is not going to be tall enough if you stack one barrel on top of another, but if you modified the legs (stronger and taller), it may work for you. I would try to find something like the 500lb feeder hopper like they have at Monarch (or make my own) instead of stacking two barrels on top of each other.

There are also a few other "double barrel" feeders that I have seen on this site.

Good Luck to you!

Comment

A double barrel feeder will be very tall even if it's sitting on the ground. For me that kind of negates one of the main benefits of a winch up, not having to use a ladder to fill it.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. For the safety aspect of it.
          I build my own winch up feeders. I built one that will hold probably 500lbs of corn. Even though I put a 1300 lb winch on it, it's all it can do to lift it up. You would have to go to a double pulley system, at least 2'' pipe legs, and with the barrels being on top of each other and the double pulley, you'll need it to be at least 25 ft tall.
          So I cut mine in half now. The container holds about 250 lbs. Have the timer set to spin twice a day and it will last 2 1/2 months. Also, I don't have to worry about the corn going bad after 3 or 4 months like the larger feeders.
          But if that's what you want to do, just e-mail me. I can tell ya how to make the tripod to support it.
          Or, if you're close enough to make a trip, I can just show ya!!

Comment

mine holds 18 sacks of corn. u know you have seen it. i can tell you how to build it but get an 12 volt winch and not a crank style. it will cost about 150 bucks with metal and winch. buy winch at harbor freight.$50
            Attached Files

Comment

drew,is it still at the ranch? i wanna see it....and i would greatly apreciate your help in figurin out how to do one... i l;ike yours and it isnt all that big....let me know.. you have me email

Comment

here is a picture of a head. it might just be cheaper to buy one

Comment

Originally posted by SAGEBRUSH ASSASSIN View Post
                  mine holds 18 sacks of corn. u know you have seen it. i can tell you how to build it but get an 12 volt winch and not a crank style. it will cost about 150 bucks with metal and winch. buy winch at harbor freight.$50
                  How high is the motor when it is winched all the way up? By the pics it looks like you only have about three to four feet of clearance.

Comment

It is about 4 ft which is plenty for deer. Raccoons can climb so it could be 100 ft tall and they can still get to it. As for hogs I have not tested it with them yet.

Comment

Don't drop a bag of corn in when you are filling it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	115_1512b (Medium).JPG
Views:	6
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	23824958

Comment

Working...
                      X