Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Use A Smoke Tray In Their Gas Grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody Use A Smoke Tray In Their Gas Grill?

Are they any good? I'd like to 'smoke' some ribs for Father's Day but only have a gas grill. Would I be better off just using one of those rib bags in the oven? Thanks.
    Last edited by LFD2037; 06-15-2017, 06:49 PM.

I use an amazn tray smoker in a propane grill but only to perfume steaks or chicken breasts. Hard to keep a propane grill cool enough for smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

its definitely a quick smoke, if your grill is big enough you can off set it enough to allow the smoke to do work.. low temps, offset, a lot of wood chips, time and you can get good results

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettH View Post
        its definitely a quick smoke, if your grill is big enough you can off set it enough to allow the smoke to do work.. low temps, offset, a lot of wood chips, time and you can get good results
        This works well. Smoked a hog hind like this and came out good. Soak wood chips in water first helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

My grill is a larger than normal 4 burner so I can keep the temp correct.

Comment

Any more info before I waste the money on the tray & the proper wood for it? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
              Any more info before I waste the money on the tray & the proper wood for it? Thanks!
              Academy had wood chips. All I used. But my grill had a steel tray below grates . Infrared one

Comment

Originally posted by trx250r View Post
                Academy had wood chips. All I used. But my grill had a steel tray below grates . Infrared one

Mines not infrared.
                I've always soaked wood chunks when I 'smoked' ribs in my old Weber charcoal grill but I've read not to soak them in the tray. True/false?

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                  Mines not infrared.
                  I've always soaked wood chunks when I 'smoked' ribs in my old Weber charcoal grill but I've read not to soak them in the tray. True/false?
                  Never used a tray. But how mine is I drop them in between the grates.. I soak them

Comment

I could never get them to work properly. Good luck

Comment

What's a gas grill???

Comment

I think I'm going to follow this process & see how it goes.
                        Smoking ribs on a gas grill is a challenge, but we love a good challenge, so read on for our step-by-step guide. Serving up ribs at a backyard barbecue during the summer is one of the true joys of being a pitmaster. Everyone loves ribs (even if they don’t they sure do eat a lot of them when the platter is sitting out),

Comment

Cast iron smoker box with wood chips will provide smoke flavor. I always use it in gas grill for steaks, chicken, burgers. But that is high-heat grilling, with smoke added as a spice for flavor -- not as a method where smoke carries the heat as in actual "smoking."

For ribs, I'd probably put ribs on one side (with burner off that is directly below the ribs) and place smoker box over lit burner on opposite side of grill. Time will be a guess; just cook until tender, keeping temp low. Meat doesn't know what the source of heat is, just the temperature.

Comment

Wrap the wood chips in foil and perforate foil.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a gas smoker, with a wood tray. Works awesome. Don't soak wood chips, as you are not trying to get the smell of steamed wood, rather the smoke from the wood.

If you can hold 225, use the 3-2-1 method. Works awesome for ribs.

Comment

Working...
                              X