Eye contact with deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
    Always squirt in bow blind until full draw. Eyes dead give away.
    Well.....It's your blind. You can do what you want.

Comment

I think it spooks them to. I look at something on the ground in between me and the deer. That way I can still see what the deer is doing with my peripheral vision.

Comment

It's worse when using a scope too...now you got a big ole exaggerated eye ball & had deer bolt from blinking.

I prefer high power on my main rig to look for details like kickers & broken tines. I move my aiming point off the deer when they look my way.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
          I thought about this last year, and I saw reference to it this morning, and it got me thinking about it again.

I've had deer look right at me. I froze. Didn't move at all, but I was staring right back at them. They spooked and took off.

That got me thinking - Do our eyes give us away?

So last year, every time a deer would stop and look my way, I'd close my eyes quickly, and then just barely open slowly to a squint to see what they were doing. I wouldn't open my eyes fully until they turned away or stopped looking in my direction. I didn't have a single deer spook and take off when I did that.

So do our eyes give us away?

"Don't spook until you see the whites of their eyes!"

All the best,
          Glenn
          This is what I do!

Comment

I believe they do see our eyes. I almost close my eyes and watch and they calm down. You are correct.

Comment

I agree. I wear glasses and I think that makes it worse, maybe because of the reflection. I take my prescription sunglasses and wear them so they can’t see my eyeballs (as long as there’s enough light.)

Comment

For sure. I usually lower my head so the brim of my hat covers my eyes

Comment

That’s what my dad taught me to do when they look your way. “Windows to the soul’. I know that’s a figure of speech, but.....

Comment

I believe this explains why that doe yesterday was acting the way she was. We looked eyes twice & buddy she was worked up. She didn’t bust off & run but walked away stomping & blowing. Then she came all the way around me & come in behind me still stomping & blowing. Made a full circle around me. Now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      For sure. I usually lower my head so the brim of my hat covers my eyes
                      This

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Well.....It's your blind. You can do what you want.
                        Made me chuckle

Comment

Never make eye contact.

Comment

Never have heard of that before or seen one run from looking at it but maybe. I had a ten point looking right at me and I was staring right back at him at about 15 to 20 feet or probably closer than that even, two years ago and he never knew it until I moved so I have my doubts.

I mean....we're talking about an animal that gets hunted by people wearing bright orange....so....
                            Last edited by okrattler; 09-30-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

How many times have you been in a room of people and "felt" someone staring at you and you look around and you were right. Same concept. I think they can sense it rather than actually seeing your eyeballs.

Comment

When deer are close I never make eye contact.

Comment

Working...
                                X