No announcement yet.

Cantilever Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the down pieces of pipe drill hole if you didn't leave one for condensate to get out. Water will collect inside pipe and rust out from inside out, when welding them in I try to leave opening and don't have to drill thru weld. Great looking job, did you cap your post?

Comment

Looks real good!

Comment

Looks great.
        Two suggestions if I may (take them or leave them)
        - Fill the tubes with concrete
        - Put something under the end of the gate in the corner. The weight of the gate when closed is putting a lot of force (torque or a moment) on those 2 metal posts in the ground, and sooner or later something will slip or move. Simplest would be a cinder block, or be more creative.

If you want the math, otherwise ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
          Are you planning on putting a motor on it? Or just open it by hand when needed?

By hand for now. Motor will come soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
            On the down pieces of pipe drill hole if you didn't leave one for condensate to get out. Water will collect inside pipe and rust out from inside out, when welding them in I try to leave opening and don't have to drill thru weld. Great looking job, did you cap your post?

I'll do that. I will be picking up caps once I get back into town. Will probably fill with concrete when I get back also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
              - Put something under the end of the gate in the corner. The weight of the gate when closed is putting a lot of force (torque or a moment) on those 2 metal posts in the ground, and sooner or later something will slip or move. Simplest would be a cinder block, or be more creative.

Your right. I thought about it but didn't want to half @$$ it. I'm going to think it through and do it nice when I put the motor on it. For now a log is doing the trick.

Comment

Cantilever Gate

Pour a footing, you could get fancy with a metal U for the lower pipe on the gate. If you drilled a hole on one it would be good spot to put a lock. Two birds, one shot.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

I like it! I like the story about your supplier too. You did that project, and bought a welder for 25% of what you were quoted and I applaud the effort.

I too want to replace my swing gate with a cantilever and thought it was a bigger project than I could undertake but I think I will put this on the agenda once I finish the other 4-5 things I have going, lol.

Good Job!

Comment

Good job. That does look like a lot of weight hanging on 2 posts. I'll bet if you didn't support the end, it would pull the outside post. Your weld looks pretty good for your first project.

Comment

and if you wanted, you can sell the welder and use the money to buy that auto gate opener.

Comment

Good lookin gate you got there. Nice work

Comment

Very nice result and also kind suggestions.. Dang right

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                            X