Trail Cameras for Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail Cameras for Public

What type of trail cameras are you guys using on public ground? I haven't shopped for any in a few years so I'm out of the loop on what is good these days. The ones I've owned have been hit or miss, even when sticking with the same brands. Are people putting expensive cameras out or are Amazon cheapos getting the job done.

I usually hunt in the thick stuff so I don't see them getting snagged by someone but it could happen.

Originally posted by CEO View Post
    What type of trail cameras are you guys using on public ground? I haven't shopped for any in a few years so I'm out of the loop on what is good these days. The ones I've owned have been hit or miss, even when sticking with the same brands. Are people putting expensive cameras out or are Amazon cheapos getting the job done.

I usually hunt in the thick stuff so I don't see them getting snagged by someone but it could happen.

Walmart tasco cameras work just fine. A little wonky to operate but they get the job done for about $35 a pop with the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I currently have 2 browning cams and one tasco. Browning are a little expensive to stick on public land but I do it anyways. I'm probably going to snag at least 2 more tasco cams. They work pretty good for the price.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I forgot about the Tasco cameras. Had one of those years ago.

Comment

I stick around the $80-100 Stealth Cams and use python locks. I've only had 1 camera stolen in the past 5 years and it was my fault for leaving it well after season ended.

Comment

I have several Primos Truth Cams I have bought in the $40 to $50 range on black Friday sales and they work perfect for public land. I use python cables, and tiny locks for the door of it so nobody can take the memory card. Haven't had any stolen. Did have a guy try but he eventually just walked away from the cam.

Comment

I use moultrie.
              Take 2 climbing sticks with me and place them ~10ft up in the tree with angle adjustable screw in brackets and cable locks.

No one looks up.

Comment

I use Tasco's on Public land. I have a lot of cards and you can get them at Wally World for like $28. Not the greatest camera on the market, but you can have a few set up in different spots for the price of one Stealth (what I use on private land).

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                  I use moultrie.
                  Take 2 climbing sticks with me and place them ~10ft up in the tree with angle adjustable screw in brackets and cable locks.

No one looks up.
                  Was at a logging job on a big lease last year and a guy had one up high too. Wish I would have known before I started peeing. Because you're right no one looks up.

Comment

It’s so hard for me to fathom why people steal things that blatantly don’t belong to me.. especially us as a group of hunters i expect a little more. Shame someone can’t put something out without the fear of someone taking it!

Comment

My dad got these from amazon to test out and they are great! $59

Only weird thing is they do micro sd cards

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                        I use moultrie.

No one looks up.
                        Do they still cover the same size area when set at an angle?

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                          Do they still cover the same size area when set at an angle?
                          When I've set my cameras high up I usually get the "tail-end" of deer - probably cause it didn't trip the camera until the very end or that I just had a bad setup...

Comment

I'm setting all mine high this year. I lost 5 last year but they were in obvious places. Most weren't locked. Ive also put them very low. I get alot of false shots that way or triggered too late but didn't lose those.

I'm going up 10 ft this year. It's not the loss of those tasco cameras as much as the loss of the pictures.

If you have cameras up, don't lock the door, I need to view your pictures so I can look for signs of Sasquatch...really.

Comment

I went with the Tasco. Still need to put them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X