Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a new buck show up at my bow blind yesterday. Only pic I got. Hopefully get some more this week. Starting to see a few new deer show up. Several young new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Saw this on Facebook. I’m not sure of the story behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post

Saw this on Facebook. I’m not sure of the story behind it.
        The story is...that pic was taken this morning in the same area as the airstrip pic Smart posted above in Eldorado. There’s a little 9 hole golf course right next to the airstrip and apparently a real genius Google Earth “street view” car driver chose to test the high water. I’m guessing that’s gonna look great on their resume.

Comment

Anybody hunt this weekend west of Angelo? How was movement?

Comment

^^^^^ this,

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
              Anybody hunt this weekend west of Angelo? How was movement?

Even with the warm up and big moon the movement was good (just late for evenings). I think with the front Wednesday this weekend should be decent. There were a few bucks even a couple mature showing some signs of chasing. Saw 4 bucks with one doe.

Comment

Concho County

We are in Concho Co. on the Concho river right above Ivie. I know its not west of Angelo but in the area anyway. We don't have any Oak trees for acorns. Been here 27 years and I have never seen this much growth on the ground, its crazy. Deer movement isn't good. They for sure aren't moving to our feeders. I saw one deer in three sits this weekend and killed him. Couldn't help myself. Management deer who was a feeder hog according to the pictures. I was able to redeem myself for the horrible shot I put on my buck a couple weeks ago.
                Attached Files

Comment

double post sorry
                  Last edited by 125Dad; 10-29-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Red-Fin I’m always curious to know what put that deer on the management hit list?

Do you mind elaborating on yall’s plan ? I like to just here all the different thoughts theories and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Well that's a long story:

1) We used to manage our deer a lot tighter, we don't anymore because we basically managed ourselves out of the deer killing business. We like to kill stuff so we loosened our plan.
                      2) This deer was almost a 6 point. We have what seems like and endless supply of deer that are solid 8 points at the same age and body size.
                      3) We feel like our population of does is down a little from years past so we have been holding off on killing very many does for a few years and let them build back up. Again, we like killing deer and that leaves bucks that we think are inferior.
                      4) I have roughly 2100 ac that we hunt with 6 hunters, 50/50 bow-gun. We aren't hurting the place no matter what we do.
                      5) I don't pretend to know how to manage deer but have had this place for 27 years and we kill some pretty good deer for the country. So I figure whatever we are doing is working ok for us.

Thanks for inquiring.

Comment

Interning simple plan.

Ours is really simple also we just let get mature.

Comment

I'm headed out in 2.5 hours for 3 days of hunting. The cool front is going to be nice but the rain will get me Wednesday.

Comment

30 more mins then hitting the road!

Comment

Can't decide if I'm heading up Thursday night after work or Friday morning... good luck to ya!

Comment

Originally posted by duckman49 View Post
                                30 more mins then hitting the road!
                                I’m guessing your excited about getting to the lease? good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X