New welder - target gongs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
    Does your new welder hookup to a regular plug? Or does it need a 220?

I bought a cheap small one from harbor freight a couple of years ago but either I'm really bad or it doesn't do as good a job when I've worked with it. I think I need something a little better. Do you mind if i asked where you bought yours.
    Normally the cheaper ones do not hold as stable arch as the better units.
    However, you should be able to lay a decent bead with it.

Are you using flux core or solid wire? If you don't know, then that is a problem.
    You will probably need to manually reverse polarity depending flux or solid. Make sure you are correct. Flux tends to be more difficult in my opinion. Normally have to turn it up more than with solid to burn off the flux. Make sure you have the correct tension roll, and the tension is set properly. Make sure your ground is tight inside the machine. If using solid, you have to use shielding gas. 80%CO2/20%Ar seems to work best for most carbon steel. Run your regulator about 25cfh. Too low will allow impurities. Too high can actually cool the weld too much. Match your wire size, speed, and temp to what you are trying to weld. There are charts online that should get you close.
    Keep practicing.
    Sorry if I insulted your intelligence, I was just trying to cover most of the basics.
    Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
      Normally the cheaper ones do not hold as stable arch as the better units.

However, you should be able to lay a decent bead with it.

Are you using flux core or solid wire? If you don't know, then that is a problem.

You will probably need to manually reverse polarity depending flux or solid. Make sure you are correct. Flux tends to be more difficult in my opinion. Normally have to turn it up more than with solid to burn off the flux. Make sure you have the correct tension roll, and the tension is set properly. Make sure your ground is tight inside the machine. If using solid, you have to use shielding gas. 80%CO2/20%Ar seems to work best for most carbon steel. Run your regulator about 25cfh. Too low will allow impurities. Too high can actually cool the weld too much. Match your wire size, speed, and temp to what you are trying to weld. There are charts online that should get you close.

Keep practicing.

Sorry if I insulted your intelligence, I was just trying to cover most of the basics.

Good luck.

Some good advice

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunteronnie View Post
        Why not try the 300rum at 100? What could possibly go wrong?!

Lol, i dont think that it would punch thru it, but it would defiantly test how strong they are

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
          Awesome! Question.......I have several drops that I got from a guy with this in mind. They are mild steel I assume, not AR500. 7" in diameter and 1/2" thick. Would this even be worth building with the steel I have? Should I weld two back to back? I'll be shooting .22-.308. Thanks
          Not sure there, these that i got are only 3/8" thick, i would think that they would hold up. If you already have it then you cant beat the price.

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
          Does your new welder hookup to a regular plug? Or does it need a 220?

I bought a cheap small one from harbor freight a couple of years ago but either I'm really bad or it doesn't do as good a job when I've worked with it. I think I need something a little better. Do you mind if i asked where you bought yours.

I was welding off of a regular plug. Using a 75/25 mix gas.
          I picked it up from a local welding / gas supply house here in houston.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
            If that is your first time welding, you are ahead of the game.

Thank you, i did try a couple scrap angle iron pieces right before i did these

Comment

Working...
            X