Why shoot spikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
    If its a 3yo spike then by all means shoot. The law states at least one unbranched antler which is a whole 'nother box of worms, you could have a perfectly good 8 point that damaged his antlers early in velvet that has 4 on one side and just a spike on the other. With no past history or previous trail cam pics, that deer will be shot every time. There's flaws to everything, that's why its so beneficial to learn to age deer on the hoof.
    I like to age them in the fridge for about a week before the back straps hit the grease.

Comment

In reality, how many spikes are really older that 1-1/2?

Comment

just like a spike can grow into a monster, a 4-6 point of the same age has a higher chance to grow into a big buck also IMO!

Comment

cause momma is hungry for some jerky!! that's all I got

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            I like to age them in the fridge for about a week before the back straps hit the grease.
            That's what shooting does are for! Y'all can't even shoot em during bow season? Have y'all tried joining the WMA and getting doe permits that way? That's how we get our doe permits on my lease in Colorado county.

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
              I see no problem with anyone shooting a legal deer. Spike doe as long as its legal. They all eat and ya can't eat antlers
              Shoot! tell that to all the squirrels and varmints on my lease! I can never find sheds and when I do they are half eaten! lol

Comment

They'll make good deer. But not great deer. What do you think is going to be bigger at maturity, a first year spike or a first year 6 point?

Comment

Originally posted by pharmvet View Post
                  None

Comment

I killed 5 whitetail and 2 axis last year and we are out of deer meat. Pretty much the only meat we eat besides fish. if it is legal to shoot, it is probably going to be in my freezer. Don't get me wrong , I would be happy to shoot a big buck, but that is not the reason I hunt.

Comment

Mature deer only!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        They'll make good deer. But not great deer. What do you think is going to be bigger at maturity, a first year spike or a first year 6 point?
                        AGREE.....of course things can happen but I will take the bigger buck at birth everytime

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        None
                        This is incorrect! Not many but there still are some

Comment

I agree 100%. Let them grow and see where they go.

Comment

It's not as much that spikes are legal, as it is all the young bucks that are no longer legal to shoot. If it is legal and you want to shoot it. shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by pharmvet View Post
                              I've been hunting for 25 years and have never seen a slick "true" spike that was not a 1.5, or very occasionally a 2.5 year old deer. Not that they don't exist, but I think I have a better chance of killing a booner than a 3+ year old spike.

I like to kill big deer, and every baby deer I shoot is one that 100% will not get the chance to grow into a big deer one day...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                I know a man(vet)that found a 3 point yearling with a broke leg. He took him home and fixed him. Put him in his 500 acre high fence,fed him good and at 6 he was 190". This was pure hill country genetics too.
                                I don't shoot spikes unless they are older. 3-4 years.
                                Exactly this.... and I'm sure you don't shoot many spikes that old... I've only killed one

Comment

Working...
                                X