No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got into this thread. Awesome place and the hard work seems to be more fun than anything at this point. Will keep following

Comment

Did that big mature buck with the Mulie fork make it?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
        Here are our 2015 Feed Totals:
        20% Protein - 22,625lbs
        Corn - 10,825lbs
        Cottonseed - 3,550lbs
        Alfalfa - 10 square bales
        Rice Bran - 480lbs

In order to try to save some $$ in 2016, we are going to try something a little different. In 2015, we ran our 1,000 All-Season's Trough and a small 300lb tube feeder near our house year-round and filled our 1,300lb Krivoman and 1,500lb Krivoman up with protein from January through August. This year, we are still going to keep the trough running year-round, but we are going to add the Krivoman timed unit to our 1,500lb Krivoman feeder (keep the timer open from 5am to 9pm) and we are going to throw corn/Mr. Buck out of our 1,300lb and 1,000lb Krivoman feeders year-round at around 4 seconds per feeding. This will help us save around 5,000lbs of protein, which will equate to around $1,000. We are also going to try to increase cottonseed to our 6,000lbs this year. We will see how this works. Again, we want to continue to feed our deer herd, but we are just trying to find ways to help save a little money.
        WOW!!! That is a huge feed bill

One day I wish I can support that

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          WOW!!! That is a huge feed bill

One day I wish I can support that
          Yes it is, which is why we are trying to lower that. One reason it's so high is because our neighbors haven't been shooting the amount of deer they should, but hopefully that will change next year since we have a biologist helping now and we are creating a wildlife cooperative. Another issue is the raccoons and turkeys. We are going to try to trap the raccoons, but the turkeys are a real pain in my ***.

Thankfully, my two brothers and I split the feed bill. We give our dad a fixed amount every year so that he doesn't have to pay for any feed since he bought the place.
          Last edited by bgleaton; 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Did that big mature buck with the Mulie fork make it?
            Yes, the big mulie fork made it. He vanished around the middle of October and just re-appeared on 1/4/2016. This buck does this every year. We have 5 trail cameras and did not see him anywhere on the ranch between middle of October through 1/4/2016.

Comment

Yes it is, which is why we are trying to lower that. One reason it's so high is because our neighbors haven't been shooting the amount of deer they should, but hopefully that will change next year since we have a biologist helping now and we are creating a wildlife cooperative. Another issue is the raccoons and turkeys. We are going to try to trap the raccoons, but the turkeys are a real pain in my ***.

Thankfully, my two brothers and I split the feed bill. We give our dad a fixed amount every year so that he doesn't have to pay for any feed since he bought the place.
              I imagine you could sell some Turkey hunts on here real quick... Those suckers sure can clean up some feed.

Have really enjoyed following this thread.

Comment

Great thread, keep up the good work.....

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                  I imagine you could sell some Turkey hunts on here real quick... Those suckers sure can clean up some feed.

Have really enjoyed following this thread.
                  Maybe we look at offering some turkey hunts next year during deer season whenever my brothers or i are out there. Would you just offer a day hunt? We have a feeder that has around 50 birds every evening around 5pm. They go there on their way to the roost near the river. How much would someone pay for a turkey hunt?

Comment

Maybe we look at offering some turkey hunts next year during deer season whenever my brothers or i are out there. Would you just offer a day hunt? We have a feeder that has around 50 birds every evening around 5pm. They go there on their way to the roost near the river. How much would someone pay for a turkey hunt?
                    $100 to come hunt and an additional $250 per bird you kill- that's a good deal for the hunter. Could charge up to $450. You just have to decide what is it worth to you and see if there is a market for it; it may not be worth $350 to have a 'stranger' come on to your property.

Another thought-- turkey hunts in deer season at a feeder also mean more hunting pressure at that feeder, shots fired, deer becoming educated, etc.

Comment

I appreciate your input.

Comment

I would for sure sell turkey hunts but be picky about it on who you invite!

Help pay for feed bill.. Offer it to family and friends first

Comment

my wife and kids are begging for a turkey hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by burn'n feather View Post
                            my wife and kids are begging for a turkey hunt.
                            Let's keep in touch and try to make something work either this spring or fall. Fall hunting will be easier bc we are literally covered in turkeys during that time of year. Obviously, it will have to be when me or my twin brother are out there and it would be a day hunt (AM and PM).

Comment

1/17/2016 Update

So all three of the cottonseed feeders are now empty, which took around 3-4wks. Protein feeders and corn feeders are still going though. We are going to purchase another ton of cottonseed towards the end of the month and also install the krivoman timed protein unit to our 1,500lb Krivoman feeder.

My dad modified our 1,000lbs All Seasons trough feeder. He added some metal on top of the spouts to prevent raccoons from sitting on top and eating. We now just need to find a way to prevent them from crawling up the legs. I'm thinking about adding a piece of metal underneath the trough spouts that stick out about 5 to 6 inches and angled downwards at a 45-degree angle to see if it will prevent turkeys from being able to eat out of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1,000lb Trough Modification (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	24425140

Name:	1,000lb Trough Modification (2).jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	24425141

Comment

Late December Trail Cam Pics

Here are some recent trail camera pictures, nothing great, but we haven't seen any bucks that look really run down from the rut, which is great news.

Name:	PICT1691 (Large).jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24425146

Name:	PICT2325 (Large).jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24425147

Name:	PICT2446 (Large).jpg