Lightbar wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightbar wiring question

Currently in the process of mounting a 30" lightbar in the center bumper cutout on a 2011 model chevy. I have it in place and all bolted down (took about forever). Now im attempting to tackle the wiring issue. I figured it would be toomuch draw to tap into the foglights and i havent found a suitable place to run wires through the firewall. Has anyone done this before and has and tips as to how to go about running the switch into the cab? Trying to avoid having to drill any holes if it is at all possible. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just poke a hole through the firewall or find an existing whole and mount the switch under the Steering wheel. Extremely easy.

Comment

I have cut holes through the rubber boot that surrounds the steering shaft where it passes through the firewall if you are dead set on not drilling.

If you want to run them off your fog lights just run a rely. Use the fog light power to energize the coil and run main light bar power straight to you battery.
      Last edited by 175gr7.62; 03-26-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I assume you are using a wiring harness? If so, I just poked mine into the cab, after making the connections not at the battery but at the power box under the hood. I made a small slit in the boot by the steering column and pushed the switch part through. If you make a small enough slit, it pretty much seals itself. I dabbed on a bit of silicone for good measure. I then drilled a small hole in the lower plastic below my steering wheel to mount the switch--all done.

Comment

Originally posted by hboy35 View Post
          I assume you are using a wiring harness? If so, I just poked mine into the cab, after making the connections not at the battery but at the power box under the hood. I made a small slit in the boot by the steering column and pushed the switch part through. If you make a small enough slit, it pretty much seals itself. I dabbed on a bit of silicone for good measure. I then drilled a small hole in the lower plastic below my steering wheel to mount the switch--all done.
          This is kind of what i was thinking about doing. I have the harness all wired with a relay and everything just wasnt real sure about the best way to run the switch in. Ive done this before just on older models with alot more room for accessories.

Comment

Just use fog light wire to activate a relay. No amperage will be pulled from the wire at all. Did this in 14 have not had a problem yet

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
              Just poke a hole through the firewall or find an existing whole and mount the switch under the Steering wheel. Extremely easy.
              This is definitely the way I would go. Super easy.

Comment

Originally posted by trx250r View Post
                Just use fog light wire to activate a relay. No amperage will be pulled from the wire at all. Did this in 14 have not had a problem yet

Bought a harness to use thats already pre wired. Do you have an example of this?

Comment

Does it have the relay already? Mine did. But if not here is a relay wiring diagram . Just hook up switch to fog light wire

Comment

Yes it has a relay already wired into it. Ill try to get a picture of the harness later to show

Comment

This is the diagram included with the harness

Comment

Lightbar wiring question

This is how I wired mine with a 3-way switch, except I used the high beams instead of fog lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Splice the blue wire into your fog light hot. Everything else follow the diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
                            Currently in the process of mounting a 30" lightbar in the center bumper cutout on a 2011 model chevy. I have it in place and all bolted down (took about forever). Now im attempting to tackle the wiring issue. I figured it would be toomuch draw to tap into the foglights and i havent found a suitable place to run wires through the firewall. Has anyone done this before and has and tips as to how to go about running the switch into the cab? Trying to avoid having to drill any holes if it is at all possible. Thanks!

I hooked mine to the fog lamps and use the existing fog lamp button on the console. No need to rewire.

Comment

Working...
                            X