Covert Camera DIY External Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covert Camera DIY External Power

I have had this idea rolling around in my head for a while but when Mr Gunny gave us the BOGO deal on the T-mate I went for it.

I started with a small ammo box from Walmart. ($4.88)

Covert 12 volt to 6 volt power adapter. ($15.00)

12 volt feeder Battery that I had laying around.

Old 12 volt solar panel I had laying around.

2 T-Mate camera mounts from TBH Sponsor Gunnyart.

I'll just post the pictures and if anyone has questions I'll answer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that better than the one I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I just ordered a optima marine 6 v battery for my HCO Spartan it weighs like 20lbs. Going to put a solar panel to trickle charge it. They said on the other thread that a regular feeder battery weren't lasting very long.

Comment

Looks good Hal!

Comment

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where did you get adapter?

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
              Where did you get adapter?

I ordered it straight from Covert.

Comment

Looks exactly what I have...except I have the high power solar panel from Ultramatic..Keep us posted on how it works!

I have noticed with these panels it will stay at 9 for 5-8 weeks

Comment

Outstanding!

You want to do trade shows with me?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                    Outstanding!

You want to do trade shows with me?
                    You should add to your product line a box that a feeder battery fits in that's pre-drilled to fit the T-Mate. Would have saved me some time.

Comment

Not sure about that but I'll steal your idea to display at upcoming shows.

Comment

You need to do something with the cord from the camera down to the box. Coons, squirrels and birds will destroy the wire. Seen it done already. I mount my camera directly to the ammo box. Move the solar panel to the side of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                          You need to do something with the cord from the camera down to the box. Coons, squirrels and birds will destroy the wire. Seen it done already. I mount my camera directly to the ammo box. Move the solar panel to the side of the box.

I just put it up to take a picture. When I put it in the field I'll fix it.

Comment

I've been running this exact same setup for 3+ years.

I just exchange the SD cards and that's it.

I use 3 of the cheap 12v solar panels from Buccees just in case an animal damages one or two of them. (this has happened to me twice in 3 years) If one goes down the other two are still there to keep charging.

I use the small deep cycle battery from academy that costs $55.

I cover my wires with the plastic conduit stuff so the animals don't damage it.

I also secure the battery box so that pigs don't accidentally disconnect it. (this will happen) It helps if you secure your leads to the battery posts with a bolt and nut just in case the box gets bumped around.

Newer cameras don't require this since they last a lot longer and run on AA but the older ones will run year around with this setup.
                            Attached Files

Comment

interesting idea

Comment

Working...
                              X