No announcement yet.

Just wondering how many remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can still remember our phone number in Oklahoma from the age of 4 to 8. It was SUN-SET9. That one is pretty hard to forget.

Moved to Rockwall at the age of 12 and as others have said, only had to dial the last four numbers for anyone in town.

Comment

In Lufkin, ours was NE (Neptune)4-7817... In Houston, my brothers was OX (Oxford) and my sister's was JA (Jackson)...

We had a party line for a while too, and to call my best friend across the pasture, we had to dial 1123, then the number (5 digits) then hang up and wait a minute to give it time to ring and pick up to see if he heard it and answered...

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        I may have forgotten a lot of things but I still remember the phone number I had to memorize before going to kindergarten in 1961. I would say the number as "Webster 63512" (You would dial the first two numbers of the exhange - 9,3 in this case)
        Yep. Yukon82657

Comment

Ours was Lehigh (Le) and we had a party line til I was around 10 years old.

Comment

Party lines, two steel wires running from the main group of phone lines across the pasture to connect farm and ranch houses to the "grid", to my first company cell phone that was mounted in a suitcase to my pocket computer. Kinda makes you think about how things were for people like my grandparents who saw the world go from horse drawn to horsepower to people going to the moon. Wonder what my grandchildren will see?

Comment

I'll go you one better...in the mid 60's when we lived in Liberty Hill our phone number was 60F11- one long and one short ring and you answer the phone.

Comment

I'll up all these . just pick up the phone tell the operator
                I need John Smith

Comment

one more up..
                  pick up phone.. tell Lucille you needed to talk to frank...

Comment

I remember I thought I was the top dog when mom and dad added the long cord to the wall mounted rotary dial phone. If you wanted privacy you had to go out the the garage and close the door on the cord. Dad would get pi$$ed cause it put a kink in the cord.

Comment

Working...
                    X