No announcement yet.

Feed pen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 to 16 panels and 3 T post per panel. If I try and cheap it out and go 2 T post, the hogs and cattle will get in the pen. I also tie at three locations on each T post with wire. The top middle and the very, very, bottom of the panel. If I you are a lazy bastage and do not tie wire the very bottom, hogs will get in. I have guys on my lease that are extreme lazy bastages and will not get on their knees to tie the bottom and they pay for it later every time. These are the same lazy cheap bastages that build their pens with 5 panels or less then wonder why they never have mature deer coming in. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
      12 to 16 panels and 3 T post per panel. If I try and cheap it out and go 2 T post, the hogs and cattle will get in the pen. I also tie at three locations on each T post with wire. The top middle and the very, very, bottom of the panel. If I you are a lazy bastage and do not tie wire the very bottom, hogs will get in. I have guys on my lease that are extreme lazy bastages and will not get on their knees to tie the bottom and they pay for it later every time. These are the same lazy cheap bastages that build their pens with 5 panels or less then wonder why they never have mature deer coming in. SMH

16+ panels. As stated so many times, bigger is better. Round is important as well.

I've also taken to making a gate out of one panel. Put two posts 10' apart. Loosely wire one end of panel with 2' overlap of panel at one end of gate. That will leave a 2' overlap on the operational end. Use snaps fro TSC or Home Depot to open and latch the gate. Works well. This will allow you to back a truck into the pen to fill feeders. Instead of toting bags of feed. Just a thought.
      Last edited by mikemorvan; 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Some of the guys have used rebar instead of t-post.
        The soil is pretty sandy so they go in very easy.
        Supports the panels just as well and the rebar is about six inches below the panels so no worries about a deer getting hung-up on a t-post.

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
          Some of the guys have used rebar instead of t-post.
          The soil is pretty sandy so they go in very easy.
          Supports the panels just as well and the rebar is about six inches below the panels so no worries about a deer getting hung-up on a t-post.

How we did mine out west. So much easier in the rock and no worries about posts and deer or blocking views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A 60 ft diameter is the minimum needed in my opinion. I believe that will take 16 panels.

Comment

Thanks guys. Going to get one together this weekend.

Comment

I bought 12 of these goat panels
                40” X 10’ft My feed pen will be 30’ X 30’ft

Comment

10 panels works for us. Three ranches with hogs I use two posts per panel and never had a hog push in. Obviously posts on the inside wired tight along the bottom Only round pens overlapped by one one section.
                  I use one strand of barbed wire along the top on the panel and never had a cow in mine
                  We have one pen with 6 panels and only one buck at a time dominated it
                  We have killed two of our largest bucks at that feeder.

Comment

I am using 6-7 panels in E. Texas and they are working well. My are only +/- 25” tall. My intent was to keep pigs from rooting under and around the feeder and it was been successful.

Comment

10 panels will make a pen almost 50’ across (diameter, not radius). 21 t-posts. If you knock the plate off of one of the t-posts, it fits well into a piece of 1-1/2” pvc. I bury a 2’ section of pvc in the middle of one of the panels, so I can pull the middle post in and out, and use it for my “drive in gate”. I use the 34” panels. The 50” are a little high for fawns, but you may need them if you have adventurous cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                        I’m not saying that bigger isn’t better but my pen is made with 4 panels and is full of deer morning and evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well with only 4 panels it wouldn't take many to fill it

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          I am using 6-7 panels in E. Texas and they are working well. My are only +/- 25” tall. My intent was to keep pigs from rooting under and around the feeder and it was been successful.

I was thinking about buying cattle panels and cutting them in half. That will make them about 25" tall. I'm worried hogs will jump or climb over a pen that short. Have you had any go over yours?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I was thinking about buying cattle panels and cutting them in half. That will make them about 25" tall. I'm worried hogs will jump or climb over a pen that short. Have you had any go over yours?
                            I have only had one picture of one pig that got in. Now, I do have pics of shoat’s that can fit thru the cattle panel squares. I am not too worried about those seeing they don’t cause damage.

There was a study done on fence sizing and height by CKWI-TAMU and +/- 25” was the best option especially for skittish deer like I have.

I though I read the study on here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                              70’ across.

heck, even ted nugent could kill a deer in that pen, lol, ya know the nug can't hunt anywhere else, but over a pile of bait. sad...imo.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2019

Michigan House Bill 4687 State Legislators Turn To Draft Dodger Ted Nugent To Make Scientific Decisions over DNR on CWD TSE Prion

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2019

FDA Reports on VFD Compliance

Before and after the current Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) rules took full effect in January, 2017, the FDA focused primarily on education and outreach to help feed mills, veterinarians and producers understand and comply with the requirements. Since then, FDA has gradually increased the number of VFD inspections and initiated enforcement actions when necessary.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 05, 2019

Unique Profile of The Texas CWD TSE Prion isolates, the TSE Prion CWD, Scrapie, BSE in Livestock, and CJD in Humans

“Wow,” he said. “Unlike anything we've seen before.”

The prions from the Texas deer were a lot harder to destroy than the ones from the Colorado elk. In fact, the guanidine barely damaged them at all. “We’ve never seen that before in any prion strain, which means that it has a completely different structure than we've ever seen before,” says Zabel. And that suggests that it might be a very different kind of chronic wasting disease. The researchers ran the same test on another Texas deer, with the same results.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 08, 2019

Wisconsin Laboratory Testing Options for Prion Diseases, Wisconsin Neurologists, Clinical Laboratory Directors, and Infection Preventionists, Please Distribute Widely

Preparing for the Storm

just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by flounder9 View Post
                                heck, even ted nugent could kill a deer in that pen, lol, ya know the nug can't hunt anywhere else, but over a pile of bait. sad...imo.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2019

Michigan House Bill 4687 State Legislators Turn To Draft Dodger Ted Nugent To Make Scientific Decisions over DNR on CWD TSE Prion

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2019

FDA Reports on VFD Compliance

Before and after the current Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) rules took full effect in January, 2017, the FDA focused primarily on education and outreach to help feed mills, veterinarians and producers understand and comply with the requirements. Since then, FDA has gradually increased the number of VFD inspections and initiated enforcement actions when necessary.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 05, 2019

Unique Profile of The Texas CWD TSE Prion isolates, the TSE Prion CWD, Scrapie, BSE in Livestock, and CJD in Humans

“Wow,” he said. “Unlike anything we've seen before.”

The prions from the Texas deer were a lot harder to destroy than the ones from the Colorado elk. In fact, the guanidine barely damaged them at all. “We’ve never seen that before in any prion strain, which means that it has a completely different structure than we've ever seen before,” says Zabel. And that suggests that it might be a very different kind of chronic wasting disease. The researchers ran the same test on another Texas deer, with the same results.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 08, 2019

Wisconsin Laboratory Testing Options for Prion Diseases, Wisconsin Neurologists, Clinical Laboratory Directors, and Infection Preventionists, Please Distribute Widely

Preparing for the Storm

just saying...

Maybe find another place to talk deer hunting and go pi$$ is somebody else's pool..

Just Sayin'

Comment

Working...
                                X