UKC Retriever Hunt Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UKC Retriever Hunt Test

Just got into training my Labrador to do hunt test. I’ve always had hunting dogs and never pursued titles. Now that I’m older, I have more time to devote to my dogs training.

I’m starting this thread to gain info from others that do hunt test to share knowledge and experiences and also to see others accomplishments. Please post away, anything of possible value and pics of your great hunting companions.

I will start by sharing my first two test that my young lab “Pearl” just completed in the starter category.

We went to Jackson, Louisiana. This was my first for everything as I had more to learn than Pearl. We arrived at the first test that was a water test that includes two marks over water with dead ducks. I know easy right? Well yes and no. The retrieves are simple but the distractions were new. Plenty of other dogs, people and scents that only the dog could smell. We made it to the line, you can hold your dog by the collar and release on command. Pearl did great on both but the butterflies leading up to the test, I have to admit was intense for me lol.

After the water test, there was a field test where similar retrieves were done but at longer distances. Pearl again done great and earned a ribbon and points towards her title. The next day we’re the same test, but in a different field and pond/tank.

If you feel inclined to add advice, comments and experiences feel free to post and post pics of your companion. Thanks in advance.

I just got into it as well. But on the AKC side. My dog got her Junior title Saturday before last. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Going to try and see if I can get her to her Senior title but it will be tough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	24535134

Comment

Man oh man this brings back so many great memories.

You two have some very talented retrievers.

Rwc

Comment

I should really take the time to finish my dogs training and at least get her started title.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Im fixing to get back into it after a loooong tame away from it. I head to Nashville tonight to get first pick on a litter. The plan to go field trials but the hunt test side will be done also.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
            Im fixing to get back into it after a loooong tame away from it. I head to Nashville tonight to get first pick on a litter. The plan to go field trials but the hunt test side will be done also.
            The field trial stuff is crazy. Helped shoot live fliers at an open and seeing dogs try to pick up a retired bird at 475yds is insane.

Comment

Went to a UKC hunt test in 2000 just to see what it was like and if I wanted to enter my dog at the time. I was blown away! Six months later I had a new dog and spent the next 5years chasing titles. I know it's changed over the years but what a great experience that was for us. Good luck and enjoy every minute.

Never imagined I'd own a grand champion anything... much less hunting dog. We had 16 pups out of 3 litters with her and several of them ended up with HRCH titles as well.

GRHRCH Adam's Shezakeeper "KEEPER"

Comment

Man I am following.. I have my first attempt at this in school now going on her 3rd month.

I cant wait to start working her!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  The field trial stuff is crazy. Helped shoot live fliers at an open and seeing dogs try to pick up a retired bird at 475yds is insane.
                  If Im lucky we will be running some derbies before the end of November or so.

Comment

Ran the YLM in my avatar to several titles back in 2005-2010, but unfortunately we lost him this past January. Great times with the pup. I'll get back into in when I decide to replace him. Looking forward to following y'alls successes!

Comment

Arrived at my camp after a 4 hour drive. Will leave early in the morning for the hunt test that’s an hour north of me. Will be running two test, one Saturday and one Sunday. If all goes right Pearl will get her starter title.

Meanwhile we kicked back at the camp waiting for this rain storm to come through.

Comment

I ran my dog in some test back when I was in college, but that’s been over 10 years ago. One thing my dog had trouble with was jumping the gun. And also, she didn’t like picking up the wet, slimy birds that had been used numerous times and had a bunch of other dog’s slobber on them lol. Oh, and the first time your pup runs out and won’t listen to commands, then takes a big ole dump in the field, is humbling haha

Comment

The pup i got is doing small bumper retrieves on the fenced deck and 30 yard retrieves with his tennis balls, tomorrow we go pick up some ducks and see how it goes.

Comment

First test today went great.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X