New Year Workout Accountability 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
    Have any of yall had any experience with "lifters elbow"?

Well that is what i think it is after some googling. I am 35 and have been lifting since high school but have been trying to go heavier lately, as I try to sculpt this physique into its summer form. Really hurts on the top side of my elbow when i try to make a fist or hold something. Feel it the most on curls. Any advice? Some say to switch your grip to a false grip or something like hammer curls.
    Sounds like the tennis elbow I was diagnosed with a year or so ago. Probably need to stop lifting for a while. Google tennis elbow stretches. May need to go to the Dr and have it checked for sure. I tried to push through the pain and made it worse. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Batmanninja...

sounds like you may have lateral epicondylitis or "tennis elbow". I've struggled with it for years. Heavy weights and lots of arm work causes it to get inflamed. About the best advice I can give is rest, ice, and ibuprofen or naproxen. Foam rolling my left arm, particularly my forearm just below the elbow has helped as well. I don't suffer from it nearly as bad as I used to, but if I overdo it I can tell it the next day. It effects my bench press, shoulder presses, etc.

I've done the same as Muskles. Tried to work through it and made it worse.

Comment

Being that I'm a Chiropractor and in the gym a lot I see many of cases of Lateral Epicondylitis in my office. Most don't want to hear this but it takes a lot of rest to heal. Try to find a Chiro in your area that works on tennis elbow, golfers elbow, ect. Ice after workouts and use Ischemic compression on yourself with some Bio Freeze or some other cream. Modification of workouts will be essential to heal. Go to you tube and look up Jeff Cavalier videos for elbow pain. He shows you some good technique changes to help you through. G-Luck Rest Rest Rest

Comment

Thanks for the replies, yall have given me a good bit to google. Unfortunately resting is the opposite of what i was hoping the answer would be. I am probably the strongest now, than I have even been, and dont want to lose it resting up. No supports I could wear or taping that could work?

Is there something that i was doing wrong to get here? I try to keep my reps above 6, even when I am going heavy. Would like to think I know what i am doing lifting wise, is this what getting old feels like?

Comment

It is from your lifting, repetitive gripping, heavy weights. As mention, you will need to modify your grip and angles of your wrist during workouts AFTER YOU REST AND HEAL THE ISSUE!!!!

Comment

Nope, nothing else you can do. As Rack Ranch stated, you can change your grip and wrist angles, but only after you've rested it long enough to let the inflammation go away. And I mean go AWAY, not to where you feel better. Speaking from experience, and I'm sure the other on here will till you, as soon as the pain decreases substantially you're gonna go back to doing exactly what you did before. And you're gonna have it flare up again. It's a repetitive motion disorder.

Try some other exercises for awhile.

Comment

Yep, you're looking at about 6 months minimum. Trust us, sounds like sabre and I have gone back too early and relapsed (I know I did). There are some exercises to ease you back in once the pain is gone. Don't try to jump back in full force when it gets to feeling better. I'm just now starting to get back close to where I was before I got it, and like you, I was the strongest I had ever been. Mine was caused by using a slide wedge to break down a tractor tire originally.

Comment

Cortisone shots are another alternative, but after doing some research, I decided not to go with them.

Comment

Hahaha! Muskles, you and I have won the t-shirt I guess. I still do it. Ain't nothing better than a big ol' arm blasting day! However, I've found other ways to work biceps. A really big back day will pump 'em up pretty good.

Cortisone. Yeah I thought about it. For a second and then forgot about it. I had shots in my foot that only worked once so I would up having surgery to fix the problem. I had knee surgery a couple years ago and the dr. gave me an anti-inflammatory that worked pretty well, but I think the rest did more good than anything.

Comment

Negative on the cortisone. Rest is where it is at. Mine took about 8-9 months to go away when I got it about 15 years ago.

I did back and triceps today with some cardio. I need to take some time to put a new workout regime together. Still finishing up the old one for now.

Comment

Been slacking since my last post.

Trip to Colorado was good for about a day then became sick and I still feel like crap today along with all the elevation changes over the weekend apparently caused my left eardrum to bust which was awful lol

Did legs on Monday though and Chest/tris today

Comment

Legs today!

Batmaninja got me curious, so I went back to see how long it had been since the initial tennis elbow. 10/17/15, waited until the end of December to go to the Dr. I kinda stretched for about 3 months, taking ibuprofen every now and then and icing it a couple times a week. Felt better, so I started lifting again. Went back hard and heavy, within a month, I was right back in the same pain. This time I took it more serious. Icing regular, doing the stretches(don't overdo it, if you feel pain- back off!), and taking it as easy as I could. Once I started feeling almost no pain, I started taking a rubber band and putting it on the end of all 5 fingers and opening and closing my fingers. When I started back lifting 8 weeks ago, I took it very slow and easy. Just now starting to push myself, but not as much on my arms. I bought some gripper springs from Walmart, using them about 5 nights a week. Using a 3# weight and doing what I'm calling wrist curls, but very slowly. Maybe my testimony of being hard headed and trying to be tough will help batmaninja, or someone else.

Comment

I'll have to give the...

rubber band thingy a try. I've got some grip springs in my desk at work and use them occasionally. I think my greatest relief has come from stretching and foam rolling that arm, particularly the forearm. I use 15 lb dumb bells, standing upright and let the weight move my wrists forward and down. Gets a good stretch. The foam rolling is a little awkward at first, but I got used to it.

I've had low back issues for years. A herniated L4/L5 and within the last year started developing hip issues. Primarily tight hip flexors. Physical therapy did good on the hip, so I have to do my hip stretches and low back stretches daily or I feel it.

Didn't make it to the gym this AM. Definitely tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                              Maybe my testimony of being hard headed and trying to be tough will help batmaninja, or someone else.
                              Yall have helped me out a lot, and I greatly appreciate that. Not sure if you have cured my acute case of hard headedness though.

I am taking this week and next week off for sure. In hopes I can get the pain down for when I head to the hill country for Easter. Have an appointment with a chiro tomorrow.

For what it is worth, I think straight bar curls and arnold press is what tweaked it. I am cutting both of those out from now on.

Comment

Haha!

I don't know a wight lifter that ain't hard headed! The need for size and strength always seems to talk me out of doing what I KNOW I should do.

For me I'm pretty sure it was the supersets on arm day. Long bar curls, dumb bell curls, preacher curls, drag curls, skull crushers, tricep press down pronated and supinated grips, blah blah blah! Or, it could have been the strip downs I did while doing supersets! It all boils down to overworking it.

But, when the girls at the gym or work ask if they can squeeze your arms or they say you have beautiful arms, makes me do another set! Git u sum!

Comment

Working...
                                X