Brake light help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light help

I have an 07 GMC 1500. my brake lights are not working. the blinkers, hazards, tail lights and the brake light at top of cab all work.

I checked the fuses. They are all good.

any ideas?

On my 02 that I had it was a bare wire running from the drivers side headlight back into the engine compartment. It would rub and short out the bulb.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Most vehicles, the brake light switch wires go to the directional switch and then to the rear bulbs. That is where I would start to look. A directional switch can be fun to change. I know that years ago you had to pull the steering wheel to replace it. Try google, it's your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
        Most vehicles, the brake light switch wires go to the directional switch and then to the rear bulbs. That is where I would start to look. A directional switch can be fun to change. I know that years ago you had to pull the steering wheel to replace it. Try google, it's your friend.

If it is the directional or multi function switch some of them can be changed without pulling the steering wheel. On my 2006 dodge I was able to pull the cowling around the steering column and get the switch out. Hit up google and YouTube for help on removing.

Could also be the brake light switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
          If it is the directional or multi function switch some of them can be changed without pulling the steering wheel. On my 2006 dodge I was able to pull the cowling around the steering column and get the switch out. Hit up google and YouTube for help on removing.

Could also be the brake light switch.

Wouldn't be the brake light switch if the third brake light works.

Comment

I'd get under and look for a chewed up wire or loose connector.

Comment

General wiring for brake lights:
              Power from brake light switch to the directional switch assembly.
              Directional switch controls where to send power, right side, left side or both rear lights,
              Common wires for both rear bulbs for directional or stop light.

If the blinkers work, the wiring is ok to the bulbs.
              It the third brake light works, brake light switch should be ok.
              The only other likely area would be in the directional switch assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                General wiring for brake lights:
                Power from brake light switch to the directional switch assembly.
                Directional switch controls where to send power, right side, left side or both rear lights,
                Common wires for both rear bulbs for directional or stop light.

If the blinkers work, the wiring is ok to the bulbs.
                It the third brake light works, brake light switch should be ok.
                The only other likely area would be in the directional switch assembly.

Thx

Comment

I havent had a chance to look at it yet. Ill have to do it after work tomorrow.

Comment

[QUOTE=sambo73;12439597]I havent had a chance to look at it yet. Ill have to do it after work tomorrow.

I'd look real close at the bulb holders. You might try youtube. Seems some of those trucks had bulb holder issues

Comment

[quote=Kingfisher789;12439815]
                      Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                      I havent had a chance to look at it yet. Ill have to do it after work tomorrow.

I'd look real close at the bulb holders. You might try youtube. Seems some of those trucks had bulb holder issues

Ok thx

Comment

Havent fixed it yet. Any advice on where to take it to have it fixed?

Comment

any place that installs gooseneck hitch or extra lights should be able to fix it

Comment

Did you check the instrument panel fuse box inside the truck on the left end of the dash. A separate fuse feeds the rear brake lights only. Bet that fuse is out.

Comment

Here is what I would do before taking it in to a shop. All the above are good suggestions.

Check for ground. You can remove the brake light bulb and test the contact that is used to power the brake light/ brake light filament of the bulb for a good ground.

I did a little looking and researching and this is what I found.

"The third brake light is powered directly by the brake switch. The regular brake lights go thru the turn/hazard switch. If turn signals work and you said the 4-ways worked, then you probably do need a new MFS."

Comment

Working...
                              X