Who lives in Alaska???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who lives in Alaska???

My family and I decided that the suburban cul de sac we live on just does not supply the level of excitement and adventure that we need in our lives and for our kids, so...

We are planning our eventual move to the last frontier!!!

We will be moving far away from family and friends and we'd like to start meeting people now so that we have a few friends when we get there. The way we see it, we only have one life and frankly, why not take the plunge and try? If we move there and fail, then so be it. At least we would have done something instead of just dreaming.

This isn't some spur of the moment decision - we have been thinking and planning for quite some time. My job allows me to work from pretty much anywhere (I have been blessed by this), so we have a lot of flexibility. My wife has her own business. We are embarking on another entrepreneurial effort that may make this a lot easier financially. I also have a potential client in Juneau. We have talked to a few people that have lived there and have done tons of research - we know the pros and cons of living in Alaska.

We are planning a trip for a month or so next spring/summer and getting our house ready to be put on the market. Our plan is to move during summer of 2016 (maybe 2015 if our 2nd business takes off well). We plan on leasing a place in Anchorage for the first year. If we decide to stay, we will look for a place to buy and call our own.

We'd like to find other TBHers that live in Alaska and hopefully create some new friendships with like-minded people. It would be nice to visit you all while we are up there next spring/summer and get to know you all.

This is our dream and we are now doing something to make it a reality.

WoW, that is really cool... Good Luck

Comment

If I could stand the winter, I would do it too! Good luck!

Comment

Good luck, ive always wanted to go there, my grandpa used to hunt there, hes killed moose, bear, and caribou there, one day maybe I will get to do the same

Comment

lived up there for 20 years and had the best times of my life but that long winter and darkness took it's toll. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck! I've wanted to move there since visiting for work a few years ago. I'm jealous!

Comment

Hey biglew - I lived up there for 22 years, my family still lives there, I go up every summer to fish, we're getting a summer place there. If anything happens to my wife, I'll be back there within a week. PM me if you have any questions about where to live and where to avoid. Good luck. You'll love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts88 View Post
                Good luck, ive always wanted to go there, my grandpa used to hunt there, hes killed moose, bear, and caribou there, one day maybe I will get to do the same
                Yeah, all those are on my bucket list
                Last edited by biglew; 10-16-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
                  If I could stand the winter, I would do it too! Good luck!
                  Originally posted by valverdehunter View Post
                  lived up there for 20 years and had the best times of my life but that long winter and darkness took it's toll. Good luck!
                  Yeah, the winter and being away from family will probably be the hardest part. I lived in Germany for a while and froze my butt off, but to me it was worth it for all the culture, activities, and living in such beauty - aside from the mud-slushy streets in winter

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                    Hey biglew - I lived up there for 22 years, my family still lives there, I go up every summer to fish, we're getting a summer place there. If anything happens to my wife, I'll be back there within a week. PM me if you have any questions about where to live and where to avoid. Good luck. You'll love it!!
                    I just noticed you are in Austin. We should get together for some fishing here. Maybe I'll bump into you fishing up there too!

Comment

Originally posted by biglew View Post
                      I just noticed you are in Austin. We should get together for some fishing here. Maybe I'll bump into you fishing up there too!
                      Just responded to your PM with contact info and a couple houses for sale on the Kenai that I'm intimately familiar with.

Comment

you suck.

When you get ready to go, I'll get you in contact with my friend Jon Baker who lives in Palmer. He hunts, fishes, guides, and is also a former pro golfer who can outdrive Daly

He and I went on a grand adventure up across the Artic Circle when I was there two years ago. We didn't sleep much, didn't kill much, but we had a blast!

I can't wait to get back up there.

Comment

Congrats and best of luck on the new adventure.

Comment

Man that is a dream of mine, I always joke about just up and going to Alaska. In the back of my mind I do not want it to be a joke. I just cannot figure out how to make a living up there. Just reading this is going to make me do more research and thinking about it. Your a lucky lucky man

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              you suck.

When you get ready to go, I'll get you in contact with my friend Jon Baker who lives in Palmer. He hunts, fishes, guides, and is also a former pro golfer who can outdrive Daly

He and I went on a grand adventure up across the Artic Circle when I was there two years ago. We didn't sleep much, didn't kill much, but we had a blast!

I can't wait to get back up there.
                              Well, I don't suck quite yet - a lot can happen between now and our planned move

I'll take you up on your offer and raise you one - you can come fishing or hunting with me next time you are in AK.

One big initial challenge for us will be to find a 1-year lease in Anchorage, Wasilla, Palmer areas that allows 2 mid-size dogs (lab and a lab-mix). Most places won't allow pets or bigger dogs (much less more than 1) but I'm hoping to find someone that might change their minds if we throw a little more money at them for a pet deposit.

Comment

Working...
                              X